SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Karl, if you look up any sort of closed loop algorithm like the one the Segway uses, you'll find there are usually variables for "gain," which typically means how drastic the frame-to-frame corrections are. The "gains" in the x-series software are the difference in the software, as well as the top speed adjustment and other things like one-foot tolerance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by team222badbrad View Post
The LSF is different. The top of the LSF is silver and the bottom is black with an extra plate welded to the front.

Can't forgot about the software differences either...

And then there are the logistical differences, especially in my urban high-rise environment. I can't roll an x2 through my condo door (or various public access doors), I would need to turn it sidways and try to lift it through. Interaction with pedestrian traffic is more problematic. There is more likelihood of catching wheels on obstacles, due to the extra width. It is virtually impossible to load in my car or RV without removing the wheels, due to the extra size and weight. The battery range is lower due to the extra rolling resistance. And, depending on the municipality, the x2 may not even be legal to use in certain areas as an EPAMD.

So, all this will preclude any practical use of my x2 conversion at home, but I look forward to using it when I travel to more rural areas.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey View Post
I would be curious what his new overall width is compared to the stock x2 after his i2 conversion, can he get it through a front door because it looks small enough the overall width of my machine is currently 30"
Are you using a narrower wheel & tire combination? The factory specs indicate a width of 33", which is too wide for my door at home:

http://www.segway.com/individual/models/x2.php
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
ktrends
ktrends is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I just uploaded a crappy cellphone video of the first test drive we did with the conversion installed. The video shows how easy it is to climb curbs, which I would never try with the I2 wheels and tires.

As it sits with the "temporary spacers" it is 34" wide at the very widest part of the tires side wall. The new one piece spacers should cut the over all width down by 3/4 of an inch. As it sits now I can still do through my office doorways which are standard 36" door openings, it is tight but I have been in and out several times now. With the new adapters this should be a breeze!

Also it has just over 5" of ground clearance.

Keep in mind there are other tire and wheel choices out there also, if you wanted to get narrower.

ktrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Have you done the math to figure out your new true speeds?

I am in the process of taking some tires I happen to already own, and making an i2+ with a 21.5 inch tire about 3 inches wide. My current stock tires (Gen 1 Ett Michelins on an i2) are about 19 inches tall.

If my math holds up, when my speedo says I am going 12.5 mph, I'll actually be doing about 14.14. (About 1.5 mph faster)

With your tires, I suspect the correction to be at least twice that.

Be aware that you will need more time to slow that beastie down as well as more time to get up to speed.

My choices were based on the fact that I don't want to make my machine much wider at all, and because my spinner hubcaps ad about 3/4 inch on the sides, and my one on board cargo plate extends beyond the current tire about 1 inch, I anticipate only a nominal widening.

I suspect it will not be till after the holidays that I will have this baby up and running, so you should be well into the knowledge curve of all the changes and improvements that your new tire set up has by then.

Good luck, your machine looks good. Have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #16
homey
homey is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Are you using a narrower wheel & tire combination? The factory specs indicate a width of 33", which is too wide for my door at home:

http://www.segway.com/individual/models/x2.php
Sorry for the confusion... the 30 inches I measure is on a gen1 XT not the x2 which adds 3" to the width.
homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
homey

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrends View Post
I just uploaded a crappy cellphone video of the first test drive we did with the conversion installed. The video shows how easy it is to climb curbs, which I would never try with the I2 wheels and tires.
Also it has just over 5" of ground clearance.
You're a wild man! homey don't go up the curb you could sell off your stock parts and recover some costs on that sweet jumper.

btw your Mustang matt blk wrap is outrageous, but i'm sad to learn it's only good for 5+ years. I'm guessing UV damage is the problem? just recently learning about custom wraps and your statement hadn't come up... thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
You're a wild man! homey don't go up the curb you could sell off your stock parts and recover some costs on that sweet jumper.

btw your Mustang matt blk wrap is outrageous, but i'm sad to learn it's only good for 5+ years. I'm guessing UV damage is the problem? just recently learning about custom wraps and your statement hadn't come up... thanks.
Looks great but can't help feeling that ultimately wheels are for wimps. Do you remember this idea: http://www.segvator.com/Joomla/index...d=47&Itemid=57

No one will mess with you on that!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
ktrends
ktrends is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:

Thanks, The mustang wrap has been getting lots of attention did you notice that the video was shot from a segway?

The currenty warranty is 5 years, but the truth is these materials are so new nobody knows how long they will truly last. Keep in mind these types of materials were designed for use on fleet vehicles that take a beating for a living, when installed on something like that mustang that will get kept in a garage etc, I'm guessing the life will be closer to 10yrs.
ktrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #20
homey

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore View Post
Looks great but can't help feeling that ultimately wheels are for wimps. Do you remember this idea: http://www.segvator.com/Joomla/index...d=47&Itemid=57

No one will mess with you on that!

what the heck!!!!!!
just when you thought you seen it all... i click on the DL's at the bottom but i don't see more not that your pics aren't enough but are those suppose to play a vid because i've got to see this moving to believe it. OH dude i could use the plow LOL

Last edited by homey; 12-08-2010 at 03:54 PM..