SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
spacebatman
spacebatman

5 yr Member
Default Why don't REALLY send a Segway on the Moon?

Months ago I've made an image of a "Segway on the Moon" that is available on my website (with three other images of Segway) here www.gaetanomarano.it/segway/segway.html

In last months I've published some pages about Space like...

The CREWLESS Space Shuttle http://www.gaetanomarano.it/spaceShu...ceshuttle.html

And VME - Vision for Moonrovers' Exploration www.gaetanomarano.it/moonrovers/moonrovers.html

Since to-day's rockets launch prices are affordable for little-mid companies, I propose a "Moonrovers' Prize Competition" www.gaetanomarano.it/moonprize/moonprize.html

I think that Segway, with its GREAT experience of robotics, may be one of Moonrovers' Race Competitors or one of its Sponsors!

Build a "moonrover" is NOT so complex as may appear, it only need to be made for lunar reduced gravity and lunar temperatures using military-grade parts (that costs more than commercial parts but NOT so much).

Other Competitors or Sponsors may be the same of Segway (Apple, Microsoft, Amazon) or other companies like Ford, Coca Cola, Dell, etc.

I think that a "privates' moon-race" may be VERY interesting and exciting!

spacebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
n1das
n1das is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

One thing that would have to be changed to make a moon-roving segway possible is the tires/wheels. The air-filled tires would literally explode in the vacuum of space.

Tweels may be perfect for this application!

David Sterrett, N1DAS
Nashua, NH
Midnight Blue i170
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Don't forget that those green circuit boards have a nasty tendancy to outgas to the point of nonexistance in the vacuum of space.

--
swiftly flying
citivolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
W9GFO
W9GFO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by n1das

One thing that would have to be changed to make a moon-roving segway possible is the tires/wheels. The air-filled tires would literally explode in the vacuum of space.

David Sterrett, N1DAS
Nashua, NH
Midnight Blue i170
Sorry, I just can't help it...

The difference in pressure from the Earth (sea level) to the Moon is about 14.7 psi. So that much more force would be pushing out on the tires while on the moon - since it isn't countered by any atmospheric pressure. However, in the extreme cold of space the tires' air pressure would be significantly reduced.

18 psi in the tire on earth would be equal to 32.7 psi on the Moon - before taking into account the colder temperature.

I wonder how those silicone tires and plastic wheels would hold up in the coldness of space...

Yeah, I think something like tweels would be better.

Rich H

The Un-Official Segway Battery FAQ
http://www.spinfoot.com/SegwayBatteryFAQ.html
W9GFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:43 AM   #5
amturnip
amturnip is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Let us also not neglect that the moon is made of cheese. You will probably want slightly salty tires with a tread textured like crackers. Be that as it may, there is evidence that the Segway company has already begun working toward the space-travel market. For example, the 25.0 luggage bag is truly ideal for low-gravity environments - where it incurs less wheel drag.
amturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:13 AM   #6
spacebatman
spacebatman

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by n1das

due to vacuum and high (day) - low (night) moon temperature, the MoonSegway must have metallic wheels (like Apollo rovers) with some "nails" to have a good "grip" on moon surface

also, the better design fo a MoonSegway, may be the four wheel Centaur

I think that the most interesting part of Segway's technology (very good for moonrovers!) is its gyroscope based self-balancing, because it may give to moonrovers the ability to run in an unknown surface and RESUME from difficult situation thanks to its ability to move with four or only two wheels

Segway may design a moonrover able to meet the unknown lunar surface!

Old 12-03-2005, 02:21 AM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Although the Cheese factor is undeniable, I always thought of it as having a surface more like grated Parmasian. Instead of cracker textured tires, I would think cheese grater textured tires may do a better job.

I'm fairly sure that the seg will work fine. I would be more conserned with the extra bling that NASA would undoubtedly ask Jonathan and I to add to the MT (Moon Transporter)

Can anyone tell me how blinking multicolored chinese LEDs that are designed for the automotive aftermarket work in the vaccuum of space?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:33 AM   #8
spacebatman
spacebatman

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KSagal

...that NASA would undoubtedly ask Jonathan and I to add to the MT (Moon Transporter)...
if Segway's technology will works well with moonrovers, it may be used for single-astronaut-seat Segways or Centaurs

weight is very important in space travels and the weight of four moon-Centaurs may be less than of the two "LunarSuv" planned for each mission
Old 12-04-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
spacebatman
spacebatman

5 yr Member

A simple rover may have difficulties to resume a situation like in fig.1, and may REMAIN on the lunar crater border, while, a Centaur-based moonrover, can simply rise two of its wheels, fig.2, and turn back to continue moon exploration.

[img.nr]http://www.gaetanomarano.it/roverexample.jpg[/img.nr]
Old 12-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spacebatman

A simple rover may have difficulties to resume a situation like in fig.1, and may REMAIN on the lunar crater border, while, a Centaur-based moonrover, can simply rise two of its wheels, fig.2, and turn back to continue moon exploration.
One can always imagine obstacles that any one particular rover design might not be able to handle. The easiest, most cost effective solution: Know the capabilities of you vehicle and don't attempt obstacles you can't handle. Drive around it.
Given the success of the two Mars rovers, I'd say this is a non-problem.

JohnM
Anything worth doing for 2 hours is 10 times more worthwhile if done for 20 hours.
RUSA #235
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote