SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Here's an idea, an electric bicycle, some cargo racks, etc.
You can find good quality ones like A2B for around $1,700-$2,000
Pedal power FTW and electric if you're not in the mood to arrive to that important meeting sweaty.
Downhills also enable you to reach speeds much higher than the Segway can achieve.
Most e-bikes are not too much heavier than their non electric counterpart, and if transport/storage is a problem, consider a folding electric bike.
He said he does not want to be in the street or on bike lanes. He wants to be on the sidewalk. That means he cannot use a bike or a RYNO. If we are going to answer his questions, that is what we should do, instead of project our own ideas onto what he should do. I cannot say I have been great at not projecting my ideas either, as I cannot imagine restricting myself as he has restricted himself. Even so, he was clear he did not want to be in the bike lane or on the street.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
He said he does not want to be in the street or on bike lanes. He wants to be on the sidewalk. That means he cannot use a bike or a RYNO. If we are going to answer his questions, that is what we should do, instead of project our own ideas onto what he should do. I cannot say I have been great at not projecting my ideas either, as I cannot imagine restricting myself as he has restricted himself. Even so, he was clear he did not want to be in the bike lane or on the street.
I don't quite know how Austin, TX is set up, but, in many cases, he will be forced to use the bike lane if using a Segway, its just a suggestion.

Edit: I wasn't being clear enough in this post.
I am meaning, in many cases, due to construction or other work on the sidewalk, he will have to use the bike lane.
Of course once he passes the bad area, he can get back onto the sidewalk.
Apologies to whomever read my post as saying he could not glide on the sidewalk.

Last edited by Tritium; 01-01-2014 at 03:56 PM..
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I don't quite know how Austin, TX is set up, but, in many cases, he will be forced to use the bike lane if using a Segway, its just a suggestion.
Segways (EPAMDs) and bicycles may use sidewalks in Austin (and elsewhere in Texas). Note: Austin does prohibit riding bicycles on some designated sidewalks in a few areas, but that apparently does not apply to EPAMDs.

A RYNO does not fit the definition of an EPAMD in Texas. Nor is it a bicycle.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Segways (EPAMDs) and bicycles may use sidewalks in Austin (and elsewhere in Texas). Note: Austin does prohibit riding bicycles on some designated sidewalks in a few areas, but that apparently does not apply to EPAMDs.

A RYNO does not fit the definition of an EPAMD in Texas. Nor is it a bicycle.
I've revised my post to state the true intention, sorry for any confusion.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

IN my opinion, do not get a car or bike. I agree with Dale that a Ryno does not fit and Segway if a maybe. I think another device would probably work better for you, and be cheaper too, but I don't know all the available options. Can you take the elevator at home if you have a Segway, scooter, etc?
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #16
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
IN my opinion, do not get a car or bike. I agree with Dale that a Ryno does not fit and Segway if a maybe. I think another device would probably work better for you, and be cheaper too, but I don't know all the available options. Can you take the elevator at home if you have a Segway, scooter, etc?
An elevator is a good question, but since he took the time to mention 3rd floor and stairs, and did not mention elevator, I took that to mean an elevator is not an option. (If it were, it seems an odd question to ask if living on the 3rd floor and using the stairs were a problem)

As long as the OP was, it makes sense to have as much information as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I'm in a similar position to you. I got a Segway because I have struggled with learning to drive.

A Segway is a heck of a lot better than just walking, but I still use public transportation on a regular basis. I think it might be difficult to go 14 miles per day on a Segway. It's conceivable that you might get that much out of one battery charge, but the amount of time and physical effort could be overwhelming.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:54 AM   #18
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'm somewhat familiar with Austin, although to a limited degree, and it's been over 20 years, so I'm sure there have been a lot of changes.

Indeed, you do have a unique and individual outlook! But no more so than a number of individuals I have met in Austin! Do people still gather under the freeway underpass on full moon nights to do group drumming?

You're doing your part to Keep Austin Weird!

But from my perspective, with over 5000 miles under my belt in urban and suburban usage, I think Austin is a pretty good fit. The weather is mostly amenable (and rain is not really a problem if you dress appropriately; splashing through puddles is fun on the Segway). I wouldn't go out when it's icy, but that's pretty rare there!

My first concern was with the river; I presume you're south of it, and you say want to visit downtown. However, a quick check of Google Maps shows multiple pedestrian crossings, the Butler Bike & Hike trail (at the First Street bridge and the S. Congress St. Bridges), as well as the Pfluger Pedestrian bridge. I've looked at it with Google Earth, and confirmed my impressions with Street View where available. That all looks quite excellent. (And from what I know of the culture in Austin, not at all surprising).

You would no doubt consider me a unique individual. I'm about to start a new job in the city; I will commute 3 miles to the ferry, spend a half hour on the ferry, and then another mile and half to my office. I've done a similar commute (slightly less distance but much more pedestrian traffic) in the past, so I'm certain it's feasible, and far more enjoyable than taking a car.

If you can take it on the new MetroRail, you can extend your range even further. I'm sure you could if you were disabled, and it sounds like you might be able to even if not, if you stand with it in the standing room area. (I sometimes take the Caltrain, as a disabled passenger; in fact, I was the first to do so).

You may also find it so much fun to travel with the Segway that you end up expanding your range, say taking in the lake, or UT Austin, or even beyond.

It sounds like you're not afraid to be a little bit different, and that's important, as you WILL stand out and be noticed. But my take is that Austin is a fine place, and would suit the lifestyle you describe nicely. Whether it suites YOU, only you can decide, and I second the advice to take a guided tour before purchasing.

If I were to live in Texas, I would choose Austin, and quite likely, South Austin, if my memory of the area is not mixing it up with some other area. And I would definitely choose a Segway for my usual mode of travel.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I feel more comfortable on a Segway than driving, but so far I have only done off-road with my Segway (that is an X2). When I start using the Segway where people are around, I will be nervous that I will accidentally run into someone, or over something.

The Segway takes more effort than I thought it would. I knew it was not like a electric scooter, but it was a little surprising. Part of that is because I am a little smaller and lighter than average, so it takes more leaning and foot adjustment for me.

Even with brand new batteries, the range is typically 12 miles or less on a charge. It varies depending on your weight, speed, etc. You can search for more details. Battery range will decline with age, and they are expensive, so I personally would not plan on going 5 miles and back without charging, for years.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #20
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
I feel more comfortable on a Segway than driving, but so far I have only done off-road with my Segway (that is an X2). When I start using the Segway where people are around, I will be nervous that I will accidentally run into someone, or over something.

The Segway takes more effort than I thought it would. I knew it was not like a electric scooter, but it was a little surprising. Part of that is because I am a little smaller and lighter than average, so it takes more leaning and foot adjustment for me.

Even with brand new batteries, the range is typically 12 miles or less on a charge. It varies depending on your weight, speed, etc. You can search for more details. Battery range will decline with age, and they are expensive, so I personally would not plan on going 5 miles and back without charging, for years.
The range on an i2 is roughly double that of an x2, due to the tire differences.

I am quite large. With my pack and such, I'm probably around 250 pounds. My batteries are 6 years old. I commute 5 miles each way, about a mile of it on a gravel trail. With these batteries, it might get a bit dicey if I had an x2 instead. I have new batteries on order...

It's not hard to avoid running into people, if you are patient and observant. It will take a bit of learning and getting used to, to be comfortable, but you can stop quickly, and turn suddenly, and avoid collisions even with people doing weird things like suddenly turning around and going the opposite direction, if you simply allow yourself enough time and room to respond.

The big thing is to be cautious about blind corners, such as the corners of buildings and doorways. The further away from them you can be when you pass them, the more time and more visibility you have to respond.

It's really not much different from avoiding running into someone when you're on foot, whether walking or jogging. That's something you've practiced your entire life.

Just be willing to take it as slowly as the circumstances require. Or as slowly as you need to be comfortable, if that's slower.

You will find that physically it takes less effort with practice. Some of that is simply building a bit more muscle in a few places, but mostly it's a matter of being more efficient when your body knows what it needs to do Less wasted effort.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, car, segway