SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default How to bring a country to its knees

As some of you may have read, there were two trans-oceanic data cables cut earlier this week. As luck would have it, both cables (FLAG and SEA-ME-WE 4) are the cables that provide the data traffic to this part of the world.

That means that we have had virtually no terrestrial internet and long distance access since late Tuesday night / early Wed morning (and why I've been silent since Tuesday...you did notice, right?).

No big deal, right? Ah, think again Kimosabee. Business has come to a virtual standstill and many folks are panicking as they tell us it could be 12 to 15 days before they fix both breaks.

So, in a totally off-topic post, I thought I would ask how would YOU communicate if you didn't have readily available internet or long-distance phone communications?

(in case you are wondering, unlimited data connections on a Blackberry are wonderful in a time like this)

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Steven,

When Nora and I were in India, and we didn't have any readily accessible internet, or even television for the better part of our stay there (I know this is NOTHING like an entire region being disconnected), we were initially fine with it because, well, we had things to do, people to see, and were preoccupied.

When the newness of the place wore off, we were getting antsy.

Quite honestly, it truly surprised us how addicted / dependent we felt to the internet. There is this visceral feeling of being totally helpless... Maybe that's just 'cause we're geeks.

-Sal
Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default How to bring a country to its knees

"Kick it in the balls"

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Communicating isn't really a problem here. I'm an amateur radio operator, so I regularly talk all over the world without the use of phones or computer links. That's actually one of the things we prepare for, and in a disaster, it's usually the hams that set up the initial communications.

Jim (VE6JKV)
Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

I would just say by means of a blackberry! That is how I would communicate. Now a blackout, that would be horrible. That would cause no internet, phone, and on top of it all, your Blackberry or cell phone will not be able to be charged! I remember the New York to Detroit blackout. I was not living in Detroit at the time, but was visiting my dad. It took 14 days for the area my dad was in to get power back. For two weeks we were stuck in a living he!! Just be thankful, Steven, it was not a blackout!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
... That's actually one of the things we prepare for, and in a disaster, it's usually the hams that set up the initial communications.

Jim (VE6JKV)
The same down here on the Gulf Coast!! 73 - Neal (WB4YRE)
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

For a while I went better than the Blackberry. I could "see" that there was limited bandwidth and that they had blocked five of the six ports coming into my house, the sixth open but with virtually no access to anything.

So, I did a little sniffing back towards the IDF using the "closed" ports and was able to route myself out through a couple of working ports in the IDF. Had to do a little spoofing and I did clone one MAC address but hey, they weren't devices that were sending packets so I figured no blood, no foul.

For a good while I had access, that is until I tried to get cute last night and add a router to my configuration so I could NAT multiple devices behind it. Well, that spelled the end of that access 'cause they shut it down real quick.

I'm still working on it and have some connectivity out through the IDF / PoP but they seem to be trying everything 'cause I'm seeing DHCP servers changing almost hourly and since lease time is 2 hours I have to be quick to keep from getting kicked off.

Never fear, I'll get access, even if it is through my BB.

Steven
Old 02-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Heh, I was wondering why we stopped getting so much spam.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
Heh, I was wondering why we stopped getting so much spam.
Hmmm, that is a very good point. We aren't getting any, about 12 an hour when we normally average that many a minute. Need to look in to that.

On another point, found another open hole. However, all speeds aren't equal:

HTTP: ~8KBps
Slingbox: ~14KBps
FTP: ~23KBps
P2P: ~98.5KBps

Even stranger:

Exchange to Outlook, no problem
PoP3 to Outlook, nothing, nada

I can understand slightly slower HTTP (most servers I'm hitting are in US) but 11 to 12 times slower? Sure, normal route to US (less congested) is via Europe but same could be said for P2P

P2P is rocking though, which makes me wonder what type of redirection they are using. It's getting late but now is the best time to dig around.

Steven
Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
P2P is rocking though, which makes me wonder what type of redirection they are using. It's getting late but now is the best time to dig around.
P2P uses UDP instead of TCP. This reduces the overhead and can increase the throughput. Most (all?) VOIP products use UDP as well for this reason. TCP makes a connection via a three part handshake where UDP just sends data. UDP packet headers (8 bytes) are less than half the size of TCP headers (20 bytes) and there are no optional packet timestamps (12 bytes) in UDP as there are in TCP. Finally TCP does a lot of regulation and congestion control that isn't present in UDP.

FTP and HTTP both use TCP but FTP has less overhead than HTTP.
I don't know enough about Exchange to comment on why it works but POP doesn't. My first guess is that POP ports are blocked to reduce traffic and Exchange probably uses some proprietary protocol that does it's best to find a path around.