SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:48 PM   #21
dave
dave is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I often take my Segways up and down hills. Mr. Toybuilder can testify that I live near some very steep hills. I live about 0.2 miles down a hill. When Segwaying up to my house the road goes up hill for over a mile then down the hill. I have often reached the summit just at the point when I am almost out of power. Going down the hill is enough to regenerate it to three full bars.

I have found that if hit the apex of the hill right when I go into safety shutdown mode (the light turns red), the shutdown mode continues even though the machine is goind downhill and regenerating electricity. Eventually there is a stick shake, a beeping sound, and the skick is leaning way back, and I stop the machine. When I restart the machine I may have two or 2-1/2 bars. I don't know whether it is possible go in shutdown mode all the way down the hill as described in previous posts. Given the steep hill it is not something I would like to experiment with.

dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:24 PM   #22
Sid Viscous
Sid Viscous

5 yr Member

It's irrelelevant because once it starts GET OFF.

"People like me? " You've already stated that you stayed on the machine to see if it would shut off. That's what these people did. Eventually it did shut of, and they went down.
Sid Viscous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:53 PM   #23
W9GFO
W9GFO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sid Viscous

It's irrelelevant because once it starts GET OFF.

"People like me? " You've already stated that you stayed on the machine to see if it would shut off. That's what these people did. Eventually it did shut of, and they went down.
I think the point of my intial post is getting lost here.

I wanted an answer. Clearly from the responses to this topic you can see that most people did not know what it would do.

Nobody is arguing what to do when the Safety Shutdown starts. No-one has suggested that it's a good idea to stay on to see if it will shut off.

For the record, I did not "stay on the machine" I said that I had one foot on it. There was no risk to my well-being.

Sid, it seems clear that your point is to get off when Safety Shutdown begins. I think absolutely everyone agrees with you, including me.

However, you also seem to want to imply that I am foolish for wanting to know how it would react. You didn't actually say that but that's the way it seems to me. You have unfairly lumped me into the group of people who push the limits. This really bothers me. I hate the thought that people would think that I am one that needs to be watched, or someone that is going to have an incident that ruins things for others.
W9GFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:20 PM   #24
Sid Viscous
Sid Viscous

5 yr Member

W9

As I stated in my first post, it was not you I was talking about. But people doing similar stuff in general. the conversation has gone on aimed towards you because I'm replying to your comments. Nor did I say you were someone who needed to be watched.

My point is ride it, enjoy it, be careful and avoid things that can cause a loss of traction. Don't get hung up on minor details.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:40 PM   #25
Sid Viscous
Sid Viscous

5 yr Member

And to answer your question.

The Segway is always going to try to keep you balanced, it will do everything it can. The safety shutdown timeout was removed. So it will sit there and shake and beep and try to get you off. It will do this as long as it can keep you balanced.

But keep this in mind. The fault you induced was not a serious issue. Therefore as long as it had power the Segway will keep you upright. But if it was a serious issue it might not.

Same with a battery shutdown. Under the the right conditions you won't even get your 10 seconds. If you don't get off right away geuss what is going to happen. The faster beeping and more violent shaking is the Segways way of saying "What are you doing get off."
Old 08-09-2003, 11:42 PM   #26
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

dave,

I have noticed that the Segway will not come out of low-battery shutdown even if you start going downhill. My recommendation would be to stop the Segway when it goes into low-battery shutdown and then start it back up, as it sounds like you have done.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:04 AM   #27
W9GFO

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sid Viscous

And to answer your question.
The safety shutdown timeout was removed. So it will sit there and shake and beep and try to get you off. It will do this as long as it can keep you balanced.
This isn't consistent with my experience. Ours (both an old and a new one) shut off after ten seconds if they are stopped even with the rider detect buttons depressed. They will shut down if someone is on the platform even if it is stopped.

Also, if they are in motion during the last 10 seconds they will not shutdown while moving, but will shut down the instant you come to a stop, even if you're still on.

Rich H
Old 08-10-2003, 12:14 AM   #28
Sid Viscous
Sid Viscous

5 yr Member

That is possible, it has been changing, they changings at various points had been coming on rather quickly. I didn't care that much because when stick shakes started I got off. It can also shutdown while you are in motion.

Back to my point. When it starts. Get off.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:59 AM   #29
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

After reading all these posts, I agree with Sid.

I hadn't thought about the possibility that under certain low-power conditions the Segway might not have the ability to slow me down and get me off as it has, but that makes sense. I will make sure I get off before it starts getting angry at me (stick shake) in the future (although I'm thinking it's still okay to ride for a few seconds when it turns red and beeps but hasn't gone into stick shake).

Sid, what we're really most interested in is what we should do in low-power conditions. One of my Segways has so many problems with dying when it still has 3 bars left that I am constantly riding it into "low power," getting back on and riding some more.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:06 AM   #30
W9GFO

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SegwayUtah

One of my Segways has so many problems with dying when it still has 3 bars left that I am constantly riding it into "low power," getting back on and riding some more.

Chris
3 bars and it shuts down? What does Segway say about it?