SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I do know that Segway is starting to equip some dealers with the computers to diagnose and repair. Segway of Central Florida and Segway of Wisconsin are both currently allowed to service with Central Florida being especially experienced with Gen 1.
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

My specific Segway is almost like a friend to me - but nonetheless, they need an option to just swap out for a refurb.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #13
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
The answer to the question whether it is reasonable for repairs to take three months is a resounding NO!

People who depend upon their Seg for transportation (or security, or whatever), simply cannot afford to be without their ride for three freakin' months! Yet, stories of such lead times have not been uncommon, even as the years passed since first introduction. If Segway has taken actions to help resolve the situation, positive results are difficult to see.

In my opinion, the issues related to repair; dealers who cannot diagnose or make repairs, shipping issues that are largely left to the customer to sort out, exorbitant costs, and outrageous turn-around times, are like a millstone around the neck of Segway, Inc.

If Segway had any real presence in the retail market, the customer repair stories would negatively affect the reviews, and sales, of the product.
My situation... I am disabled and NEED my segway to get around, I would be limited to about 50 feet if I had to depend on legs. I could use a wheelchair instead, the seg is my electric wheelchair. I have 2 segs, so in case one goes south, it can get sent out for repair and I still have one. Hopefully, they both don't go out at the same time, but I have never had to send one of yet, fortunately. Its good to know the expected time for repair, thanks for the info and I feel reasonably secure with my segway availability.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I just received mine today back from Segway. Two months.

Jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
I just received mine today back from Segway. Two months.

Jeff
I've returned mine to the factory so many times I've lost track. In my experience, 2 months is about average (except when my local dealer forgot to ship it for a month and it just sat there).
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
I've returned mine to the factory so many times I've lost track. In my experience, 2 months is about average...
Along with other reasons (selling price, limited functionality, seasonal usage, etc.) the two sentences above succinctly describe why Segway is not truly successful. ("survival" is not "success")

1. Ideally, the unit should never have to be returned to the factory. Diagnostics should be performed at the dealer, with an internet connection from the machine to the factory, if needed. Dealers should be able to diagnose almost any issue, within a couple of days. Why does my washing machine have the ability to communicate diagnostic information on the internet, while Segs do not?

For customers without a nearby dealer, it would be a huge advantage if owners could communicate such information directly to Segway. Once diagnosed, repair kits could be sent to dealers, minimizing downtime for the customer. Customers might even have direct access to limited types of repair kits.

2. Repair kits, with specific hardware for given error codes, should be dispatched from the factory by overnight courier. For difficult diagnostic issues, there could even be an option to get a rebuilt and tested base.

3. In the unusual case where field diagnosis is not successful, Segway should make it very easy for an owner to ship the base (without wheels or batteries) back to the factory.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #17
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Along with other reasons (selling price, limited functionality, seasonal usage, etc.) the two sentences above succinctly describe why Segway is not truly successful. ("survival" is not "success")

1. Ideally, the unit should never have to be returned to the factory. Diagnostics should be performed at the dealer, with an internet connection from the machine to the factory, if needed. Dealers should be able to diagnose almost any issue, within a couple of days. Why does my washing machine have the ability to communicate diagnostic information on the internet, while Segs do not?

For customers without a nearby dealer, it would be a huge advantage if owners could communicate such information directly to Segway. Once diagnosed, repair kits could be sent to dealers, minimizing downtime for the customer. Customers might even have direct access to limited types of repair kits.

2. Repair kits, with specific hardware for given error codes, should be dispatched from the factory by overnight courier. For difficult diagnostic issues, there could even be an option to get a rebuilt and tested base.

3. In the unusual case where field diagnosis is not successful, Segway should make it very easy for an owner to ship the base (without wheels or batteries) back to the factory.
I agree.... I can see how many dealers could not afford to have a full time mechanic, or owners not capable of fixing many things....

USB port for diagnoses? plug and play to help you, dealer or factory out?

But not having say a west coast repair facility? Shipping from one side of the country to the other is very pricy....

You would think trying to build a successive business model would have been figured out by now?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:

Civicsman is dead on right on his critique of the poor service model currently used by Inc.. There is NO reason (other than the service people in Bedford trying to protect their jobs) for them not to adopt the diagnostic features you mentioned.

The only issue I have is that part of the reason they are not successful is due to their being a "seasonal" vehicle. I don't agree. I live in the far north and there is plenty of market for mopeds, bikes, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, jet skies, snowmobiles, etc.. All of these machines are "seasonal" (and have fairly similar price points) but have found a place in society. If Inc. would advertise to those who are in the market for these seasonal vehicles they may find some traction.
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #19
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:

As a guy who fixes things for a living, I think I may have a different perspective than that explained above.

It does sound nice. I like the idea expressed, and if the world worked that way, it would be an easier place to live and work. But the world does not really work like that.

First off, that presumes a technical know how that simply is not that common. It may seem common to civicsman, or even some of us on this forum, because places like this appeal to technical folks, but the vast majority of consumers are just not that technically adept.

Next, it presumes that diagnostics are absolute. If a segway breaks, when it was not supposed to break, what makes you think it will break in a way that it knows how it broke? Diagnostic codes are fine and helpful, and they are surely where a technician starts, but none worth their name would end there...

Let's take a very simple code that says the rear battery is dead or not charged. What does this mean? Is it a problem with the battery not taking a charge? Maybe it means the charger is not working right? Maybe the battery is loose? Maybe some of each? Maybe the voltage sensing capacity of the board that decided the code was faulty, and there is no problem at all with the battery or charger? I could go on, for a long time.

My wife could not change a bulb in the car, or find the oil dip stick much less change the oil in her car. She is smart enough to learn these things, but has no desire to learn them. That is fine, because I cannot prepare a real estate sales package to be ready and acceptable to the title insurance company, the mortgage holder, the mortgagee, the registrar of deeds and a dozen other folks I do not know exist, and she can. I could not prepare a case for trial, including discovery, and she can.

This is not exactly about skill sets, but in some ways the plan identified by civicsman would require a particular skill set that he may have, and some of us may have, but surely others would not. It would be very expensive, and there would not necessarily be any pay back at all. It would of course, drive the price of segways up.

For that matter, while I agree it is a good plan, I wonder if there is any other product on the market that has that plan for service?

There are elements that I recognize, but I cannot think of any product that is doing what he says. Some computer products come to mind, like laptop computers, but they are really not in the same category, as if they break after an attempted repair, it is pretty unlikely you would fall on your face in a busy street, yet with a segway, a serious failure could lead to that...

So, I do applaud the idea. I hope someone can fill me in with some significant product that has a service plan like it. I just do not see it as practical from a manufacturer's perspective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #20
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

I've always been struck by the irony of a company that produces a product so innovative, progressive, imaginative, etc., but their after sales support model is just the opposite. Oddly, changes in company ownership and management have not resolved the issue so far...

For a customer-focused business model, Segway could look at Tesla for inspiration. Maybe Tesla should just buy Segway and run it right.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poor service, rip-off, scam, unresponsive dealer