SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Infokey Problem!!

So, I have a slight problem with my infokey! Every time I power my Segway on or off, the infokey resets the time and date. It doesn't reset total miles, but everything else is back to default. I have tried several times setting the time and date and I cannot. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a trick?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
So, I have a slight problem with my infokey! Every time I power my Segway on or off, the infokey resets the time and date. It doesn't reset total miles, but everything else is back to default. I have tried several times setting the time and date and I cannot. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a trick?

90% of the time this has to do with the battery being loose or old. I would replace the battery and be sure the contacts are not bent.

Oops! Did I say 90%? Silly me.

It probably means your left tire has less pressure than your right tire...

(The miliage on the seg is stored on the segway. The date, time, and trip info is stored on the infokey)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default InfoKey Reset

I had this same problem with my InfoKey and found that the battery was nearing the end of its life cycle. A new battery cured the problem and it no longer reset every time I turned it on and off.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Alright, I will try a new battery then. Thank you all for your help! I am assuming the cost of an infokey battery is rather minute anyway so it's worth a shot!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Roland
Roland is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

There is a spare infokey battery under the plastic cover between your feet on the base unit - just lift the cover off and you'll see the battery sitting there. Good idea to buy a new one for your backup and use that backup one that you have on the base unit - you don't want to have the battery fail in your infokey and not have a spare with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Glide it like you stole it!
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Masked Glider
Masked Glider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Speaking of info key problems...

I dropped mine and it landed on the power button apparently bending the contact. If I held it long enough or pushed it enough times I could get it to turn on most of the time. I activated my spare and took the injured one to my dealer. Apparently Segway has changed the screws on the back of the info key. The dealers screw drivers or any they have bought has not fit yet. Has anybody else had this problem. I bought my Segway last December.

What is the info key battery size? I need to replace the one between my feet that I had to use in the backup info key. My manual is in a very secure place or I would look there. For you younger folks that means I put it in a place that I would know exactly where it is and I have no clue where that is.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
dynk
dynk is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My i2, takes the CR2430 battery. I buy them at the local Radio Shack.
dynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Roland
Roland is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I believe these batteries are pretty common in things like car key fobs that unlock/lock doors and set alarms - they often have them with the other batteries at the grocery stores too...

Glide it like you stole it!
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
LoupGarou
LoupGarou is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Glider View Post
The dealers screw drivers or any they have bought has not fit yet. Has anybody else had this problem. I bought my Segway last December.
The Torx screws on the back of the InfoKey have a drop of acrylic placed in the hole so that the user has trouble getting into the unit. If your InfoKey is out of warranty, you can take a q-tip and acetone (nail polish remover) and remove this by dabbing the acetone on the center of the Torx screw. As far as the bit to use, both Home Depot and RadioShack sell the matching Torx screwdriver to fit all of the screws inside the InfoKey.

You can also pull the module (the guts of the InfoKey) out and get to the buttons. The button is held in with an "e-clip" on the inside, and if you are careful, you can pop that e-clip off and then pull the button through to the outside to remove it. This will allow you to get the dirt and grit out from the button's cylinder that it rides in, as well as trim off any bent edges of the cylinder that may be holding the button in or from working. This will cure most button related problems. I have fixed quite a few of them here in Richmond that have had "grit" block up the works or have taken a fall and had the edge of the cylinder keep the button held down.

The other problem that can happen is that when an InfoKey is pressed to hard (somebody lands on one when it is on it's side), and the little metal spring contact that makes up the switch mechanism (part of the module, not the case) gets smashed in. Once this happens the InfoKey thinks that the button is constantly (or randomly) being pushed. You can open the InfoKey, take a small jewelers screwdriver, and gently bend the metal spring back into the "open" position and fix it.

Loup
LoupGarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
WLSINWI
WLSINWI is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
Yea this just happened to me too.
The battery is weak replace it even though the low battery indicator is not flashing. that fixed mine and very likely will fix yours.
WLSINWI is offline   Reply With Quote