SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #31
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrh@mac.com View Post
Hate to be a pain, but, the reason the SegSurrey never went into production is that it violates FDA rules regarding wheelchairs. A wheelchair needs to have more than two wheels. A wheelchair is for a person restricted to a sitting position. Since the SegSaddle can be used standing or sitting it is NOT a wheelchair. However, the SegSurrey, a SegSaddle with a platform instead of a bike seat, can't be used standing up, is therefore a wheelchair, and therefore violates FDA rules. Obviously I didn't know all this when we first designed it, because we designed it to be switchable from one mode to the other.

Now, there is a Swedish solution that is wheel chair height, and does exactly what you want, and since it's made in Sweden it doesn't violate US rules. Youapproval just have to import it on your own.

It's called the AddSeat. http://addmovement.se/en/theaddseat/
Hmmmm.... ADA 2010 says nothing whatever about any modifications you have made to a Segway. If you use it as a mobility device it is classified as an OPDMD and you are entitled to use it as such. As far as I can see, it does not automatically become a wheelchair just because you sit on it. Wheelchair rules could not apply until/unless Seg inc applies for its approval as a wheelchair. Until that happens it is an OPDMD, not a wheelchair.

Clarification, anyone?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lily Kerns; 01-30-2015 at 12:37 PM..
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #32
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Sorry- I do not know the laws. Someone please explain why it is important that it falls under the definition of "powered wheelchair"? Strikes me as a reimbursement issue - which they are not going to do anyway.

It is upsetting that this definition of 2 wheels vs 3 wheels is actually limiting the development and sale of an item that will improve the life of so many. It's just wrong!
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #33
Tuna
Tuna is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
Sorry- I do not know the laws. Someone please explain why it is important that it falls under the definition of "powered wheelchair"? Strikes me as a reimbursement issue - which they are not going to do anyway.

It is upsetting that this definition of 2 wheels vs 3 wheels is actually limiting the development and sale of an item that will improve the life of so many. It's just wrong!
For a device to be marketed in the US that is classified as a "mobility device" the manufacturer would first have to apply for FDA approval, a very expensive and lengthy proposition. This is not the case on the European market and as such there are many seated Segway options available there; Genny, Addseat, AX-Mobility Cube, Segfree to name a few.

At this time the only way to purchase a seated Segway device in the US would be to purchase one as a kit to be attached to your own Segway. A number of these devices are available in kit form to do so but they can be pricy. Often times attaching them to an existing Segway is a relatively simple procedure.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #34
Robert-A
Robert-A is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default one of the latest versions

http://blumil.com/

At $1500 I'm looking into this.

Robert-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #35
Robert-A

5 yr Member

Yes Gracefulli, I have. I will call him next week to talk dimensions and any questions I have before I buy.

Do you have any questions ? We have text back and forth so I know a little about the product. He uses it daily and thinks I could also. I don't know if I would but it definitely fits my needs for long uphill walks with my wife. He also has videos on YouTube. Here's the newest video with a transfer and new steering column.

https://youtu.be/uq3dUK2VPJo

Last edited by Robert-A; 03-25-2015 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: add video
Old 03-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #36
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

His site talks about different seat sizes. Are these available yet? What are the current dimensions? Thanks
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #37
Robert-A

5 yr Member
Default custom sizing

he's in the process of lowering the foot rest so the height of the seat will be closer to the platform. Here are the current dimensions. I will text to him about different sizing available.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #38
Gimpy guy
Gimpy guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It's cool but another design that leaves that control shaft.
Again desk, table?
Gimpy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #39
Robert-A

5 yr Member
Default tables are important

I agree with Gimpy guy, low enough to fit under most tables and a folding, collapsing, or removable control shaft.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:02 PM   #40
Paulvinet
Paulvinet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Here a new one on the scene

made in Greece, terrific design, Sui generis
Paulvinet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seg seat, segway seats