SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
You can't stop the signal.
True, but there was certainly a negative effect on Mr. Universe.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #22
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Interesting read and opinions but I don't get the signal thingy though. Must be something that I have no clue yet as a junior member in this forum.

I am placing an order for a new Segway i2 SE before anything changes. If the price drops though in the next weeks then you will have every right to yell at me... told you so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

The "signal" reference is from the 2005 science fiction movie, Serenity. Mr. Universe is a sort of futuristic webmaster/overseer, getting "the signal" (all of them, from everywhere), and distributing the same. He was fond of saying, "You can't stop the signal". In the movie, the important "signal" did get through, but Mr. Universe himself was collateral damage. If you enjoy entertaining sci-fi, I suggest first watching the TV series Firefly, then watch the movie.

I think maybe JohnM meant that some kind of Segway forum will exist, whatever happens with Ninebot. He did that by referencing the movie line "You can't stop the signal". I thought that was humorous, and continuing the reference, noted that the guy who said that in the movie did not survive to the end credits. There is no intended threat. My original question post was about what effects, if any, NineBot's acquisition of Segway will have on SegwayChat.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #24
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

There was TIQ (The 'IT' Question) before SegwayChat. If someone were to pull the plug on this site, another will rise from the ashes. People love to talk (some way more than others), with or without the blessing of Segway Inc.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #25
rene_canlas
rene_canlas is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Ive always wondered why there was no segway forum on reddit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rides: Gray i167 (2003), Black i2 (2009)
rene_canlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #26
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I always thought this was a segway enthusiast forum, not a segway Inc owned forum.

I am not familiar with any direct involvement that the Segway company has with this site and forum. Because of that, the sale of the company should not have a direct impact on this forum.

Of course the sale will have an impact on the content of this forum and most of us will have an opinion on future developments, as as stated already, people here are likely to talk about those opinions...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #27
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I always thought this was a segway enthusiast forum, not a segway Inc owned forum.

I am not familiar with any direct involvement that the Segway company has with this site and forum. Because of that, the sale of the company should not have a direct impact on this forum.

Of course the sale will have an impact on the content of this forum and most of us will have an opinion on future developments, as as stated already, people here are likely to talk about those opinions...
My thought exactly, I totally agree. Besides if Segway was taken seriously all the feedback from this forum we could have seen many positives things from Segway.
and

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #28
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I had thought that the use of the word 'Segway' in the domain and site name was 'blessed' by Segway INC. That could change - but the forum content wouldn't have to change.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #29
Civicsman

5 yr Member

Quote:
I had thought that the use of the word 'Segway' in the domain and site name was 'blessed' by Segway INC. That could change - but the forum content wouldn't have to change.
Precisely. The new owners may not be as amiable regarding the use of their registered trademarks. Or, they may not care.

Based on how this often works, my guess is that NineBot will eventually discontinue the Segway name. On the other hand, NineBotChat will likely actually have new things to talk about. THAT would be a good thing.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #30
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Precisely. The new owners may not be as amiable regarding the use of their registered trademarks. Or, they may not care.

Based on how this often works, my guess is that NineBot will eventually discontinue the Segway name. On the other hand, NineBotChat will likely actually have new things to talk about. THAT would be a good thing.
Yes, but it will all be written in Chinese.
For now, I don't think that NineBot will care about the US market (always a niche at best) or what the handful of US enthusiasts think. The market for personal electric transportation right now is China, selling over 20 million electric 2-wheelers a year. Those are the voices worth listening to.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

Last edited by JohnM; 04-17-2015 at 03:00 PM..
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote