SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #21
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Andy - my stupid gene kicks in every now and again - thanks! Will proof read before making anything live. Cheers, Gareth.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #22
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Steven, just replied to your email. Thanks. I'm still inclinded for the .co.uk approach for the sake of speed and my available time. It could certainly fit into a more global approach but I don't have the time to develop it at the moment.

1and1 look cheap, but I've never dealt with them. I always use easily.co.uk. Not the cheapest but I've had a relationship with them for years. Plus, they offer ASP which is my language of choice.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #23
mario-ramos
mario-ramos is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood
Alrighty - for what it's worth, I'm going to create a petition. I'm gonna get 300+ signatures and submit to the Prime Minister's Office here in the UK. If I do that, they will resond.

Here are the rules (petitions must contain):
  • A clear, brief statement of what people are indicating their agreement to by signing;
  • The full name and postal address of the principal contact for reply;
  • The full name and full postal addresses of each person who signs, e-mail addresses;
  • The petition should have a closing date and all signatures should be submitted as one after that date; and
  • The data should have been collected electronically.
What do you guys think?
gbrandwood, is this a usual procedure in UK? I mean, anybody that gets 300 hundred signatures gets an answer from the Prime Minister's Office?
Mario Ramos
mario-ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #24
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Mario

According to their website, number10.gov.uk, that is correct. Whether it works in practice I hope to find out.

I was surprised to read it, but why not? If enough people have a view, a simple response is not much to ask for. There's no qualification as to the size of the response.

Reminds me of the official religion census. If enough people noted a religion, it would have to be legally accepted. Hence Jedi is now an official religion in the UK
Old 09-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #25
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Mario

Reminds me of the official religion census. If enough people noted a religion, it would have to be legally accepted. Hence Jedi is now an official religion in the UK
Perhaps it would be simpler to just start up "The Church of Segway!" Followers would include not only owners, but those interested in getting out of the dark ages. Those with a Segway would automatically become high priests!

<GRIN>

Jim
Old 09-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #26
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

But I can't be both a Jedi AND a Segway High priest!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #27
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Religious rituals

Now if you do manage to get the "Church of Segway" started, it may help matters here in the USA. Over here, wrt organized religion all expressions (within reason, of course) of one's belief are protected....so the big question is if "gliding" would be a "ritual" in this new church? With the new i2's, gliding with no hands (and no knees, etc) would certainly be putting your faith in God, eh?

8^) 8^) 8^)

ps - This post was not meant to offend anyone's religious beliefs. I'm merely pointing out the "religion" loophole that our government (and possibly the UK's government) have!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:05 PM   #28
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You may laugh at Jedi being listed as a religion, but I deal with the Police regularly (I chair a Police/Community liason committee) and as part of monitoring the distribution of religious affiliation in the Police force to check for any discrimination, the Police Authorities thought of asking each officer to fill in a form indicating, among other things, his or her religious affiliation. One of the tick boxes offered was 'Baccanalian'. Well I don't know about you but I can certainly relate to a religion that is about Wine Women and Song!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #29
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Show me your money!

Trying to put some facts and figures together. In order to host a system for 12 months that will not only record petition signatures, but also allow us to verify they are real (not just spam and people inputting dummy entries), we can expect to pay £141.35, for the services provided by easily.co.uk (an ISP I've had good relations with over the last few years).

I've written the database and website to manage it all (so no development costs), and would be personally willing to contribute say around 20% of the total cost. Would any other parties be interested in contributing?

I feel contributions would be deemed most effective if from unaffiliated enthusiasts, but at this point, anybody's money is looking good! I've spent several hours writing all the code etc, but having now placed my order for an i2, I can't really afford to pay for all of this by myself.

If collectively we can gather the funds, the project can be live in a matter of days and the hunt for signatures can begin.

Many thanks

legalisesegways.co.uk
• 2 years domain name registration
£8.50 Virtual Windows Server
£99.00• Data transfer per MB for Windows for legalisesegways.co.uk
£12.80----------Total£120.30VAT @ 17.5%£21.05----------Grand Total: £141.35----------
Old 09-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #30
joe
joe will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
legalisesegways.co.uk
• 2 years domain name registration
£8.50 Virtual Windows Server
£99.00• Data transfer per MB for Windows for legalisesegways.co.uk
£12.80----------Total£120.30VAT @ 17.5%£21.05----------Grand Total: £141.35----------
I hope this is a mistake...?! £12.80 per Megabyte?! For the records... we live in 2006, not 1986!

--
Johannes

PS: If you order a Virtual Windows Server without the domain name there are 5 Gigabyte of traffic included (5120 MBs @ £0.0025/MB) ...? Anyway, I think this is a rather expensive hoster...
joe is offline   Reply With Quote