SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #111
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Unhappy Closing down

Hi all

Just thought I'd bring this thread back to life one final time to comment on the upcoming closure of the website www.legalisesegways.co.uk.
The domain name expires next month and I will not be renewing.

Things have gone very quiet on the 'campaign' front. Since starting the campaign I've had lots of Segway adventures, bought and sold lots of Segways, spoke to MPs, visited London on several occasions for various meetings and activities etc., captured thousands of comments and responded to what must be hundreds of emails.

Despite the petition website still capturing the odd signature, my involvement in any campaigning ceased a while back and I think the final nail in the coffin, apart from the lack of funds, was the buyout of the company and departure of Segway's European regulatory guy, who has since moved on to greener pastures.

So I never achieved my goal of contributing towards something that resulted in a change in legislation. Things have stayed the same, despite the many, many reasons why things need to change and a much greater public awareness of the Segway PT. I guess it boils down to a lack of interest in the cause from enough people to make a loud enough noise and an attitude of not wanting to change in government - or, perhaps the limited resources in government were just focused on other priorities. I could have done more but I did try. It's sad but for me it's time to move on.

I just didn't want the moment to pass un-marked. 4620 signatures, lots of heart-felt comments. It has been emotional.

I hope Segway PTs become legal on public roads and cycle lanes in the UK at some point - and if/when they do, I will certainly buy another Segway.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #112
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I didn't know about this before. I just signed it, although I'm an American.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #113
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
I didn't know about this before. I just signed it, although I'm an American.
Quite a few Americans have signed it. The more the merrier
Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #114
SueW
SueW is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

First of all, thanks for starting the petition. I sincerely hope they become legal in the UK at some point.

My question is how is the Airwheel which Maplins sells legal in the UK (or appears to be) but not the Segway?

Sue
SueW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #115
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW View Post
First of all, thanks for starting the petition. I sincerely hope they become legal in the UK at some point.

My question is how is the Airwheel which Maplins sells legal in the UK (or appears to be) but not the Segway?

Sue
Hi Sue

It's my belief that they are not legal for use on public land! I owned an Airwheel for a while (some of my joy and 'pain' of owning one is discussed here: http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=32064)

The company (Airwheel in the UK - I've not looked at this since Maplin started selling them) states they are UK legal (or at least they did when I purchased mine) but I was asking myself the same question you are asking here. I looked for any kind of actual legal loophole or category for the Airwheel or any discussion with the DfT. Didn't find anything. So, I asked the DfT the question outright. Here is their reply:

Quote:
Thank you for your email dated 1 March to the Department for Transport regarding Electric Unicycles. Your correspondence has been passed to us in International Vehicle Standards (IVS) as we have responsibility for vehicle safety.

I can confirm that Electric Unicycles are not permitted on pavements, cycle paths or the highway. The legislation which is relevant to these vehicles is EU Regulation 168/2013 and domestic GB legislation which is in the process of being amended.

The current GB legislation is SI 1983/1168 and this will be amended on 6April 2015 by SI 2015/24. The links to both SIs are below:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0150024_en.pdf
I didn't look any further but did mention this to Airwheel in the UK who said that my information was different to their information - but no additional info was provided.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #116
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for your UK efforts; I know these kinds of grassroots efforts often don't get the attention and thanks they deserve.

You really tried to make a difference in the UK! Congratulations.

John
Old 08-17-2015, 05:41 AM   #117
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well, congratulations for making the news.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...Segway-Britain
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #118
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Well, congratulations for making the news.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...Segway-Britain
Oh dear. That's not quite how I would have written it. The piece was supposed to be around how the Segway could be the solution to our traffic problems. I guess he focused on some of the more negative aspects of what I said. He was interested in how it could be used as a mobility device for people with disabilities and I talked a lot about that - but none of that came across. A shame.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #119
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Oh dear. That's not quite how I would have written it. The piece was supposed to be around how the Segway could be the solution to our traffic problems. I guess he focused on some of the more negative aspects of what I said. He was interested in how it could be used as a mobility device for people with disabilities and I talked a lot about that - but none of that came across. A shame.

Unfortunately, that's the media.
I'm a little surprised you didn't expect it, but it's quite a sad time when we must expect the worst from people.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote