SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Petition: Legalise Segways in the UK

Alrighty - for what it's worth, I'm going to create a petition. I'm gonna get 300+ signatures and submit to the Prime Minister's Office here in the UK. If I do that, they will resond.

Here are the rules (petitions must contain):
  • A clear, brief statement of what people are indicating their agreement to by signing;
  • The full name and postal address of the principal contact for reply;
  • The full name and full postal addresses of each person who signs, e-mail addresses;
  • The petition should have a closing date and all signatures should be submitted as one after that date; and
  • The data should have been collected electronically.
What do you guys think?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

There are some 3rd party sites offering free petition software, but I'd rather develop my own and tailor something specific for the seg. Hosting it with a database attached will cost a bit of money. Maybe I could get some sponsorship from Segway? Has anyone tried this? Perhaps a call to Segway UK might be in order? Perhaps I'm jumping the gun. I'll see what people think before I rush off on my own.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Gyroman
Gyroman is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Gareth, I'm all for raising our profile to the authorities through petitioning (or any other means), as long as we can continue to offer up robust counter-argument against their stance.

But, with the greatest respect to the great majority of members here, who live Stateside, we would need to make sure that the 300+ petitioners were RELEVANT signatories - ie UK-based and actively involved. And there aren't that number registered to Segwaychat. So where do you then go to publicise your campaign to raise the required numbers without stirring an equal (or greater) number of those who would automatically want to oppose your position?

Certainly Wayne's website would be one place - and he may be able to direct-mail his customers and enquirers - but I'm not sure about other avenues. The last thing we want is to trigger anti-Segway feelings, typically from those uninvolved.

Remember we have a very emotional press in this country: Do you recall the Daily Mail headline a few years back when we first introduced the Segway HT into the UK - "Can Americans get any lazier?". Unfair I know, but without education, it's the way things can go....

But all power to you in what you are attempting - I'm sure we'll all rally round to help.

Andy
Gyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Andy - you speak wise words. It would have to be approached carefully and certainly targeted at the UK. I'm not sure the signatories need to be involved, just informed, but I know what you're saying - and any opposition would most likely get much more support, much more easily. But wouldn't the response from the PMO be so interesting? How could they deny the benefits?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thought a little more about this in light of further coverage of this DfT information. I still think the petition idea has merit - and think it could be implemented in a controlled fashion. Here is my opening page planned out, using a format suggested by PetitionThem.com:

(your thoughts, suggestions etc., especially the domain name choice, would all be appreciated)

The Petition

Have you noticed how the roads in our towns and city centres are getting more and more congested? It's true. More and more cars are being used by people to make an increasing number of journeys on the relatively fixed number of roads! The result: jams, fumes, noise and road rage. Did I mention that petrol and diesel prices are at their highest - and that they're only going to get higher?

Unless something changes, it seems the problem is only going to get worse.

Enter the Segway Personal Transporter (PT); an American invention to help change the way we think about our transportation options. In the past we had the car, the bicycle, public transport and walking. These options still exist but we now have another. Check out www.segway.com for more details.

The Segway PT can carry an individual up to 24 miles in a safe and efficient manner. They operate within our existing infrastructure because they function anywhere a person can safely walk - they blend in. You can now move further and more quickly than walking. The barriers that made you choose your car instead of a stroll are no longer an issue. You can glide to your destination smoothly and safely amongst pedestrians and within built-up areas - reaching and passing thru places you simply could not on a bicycle. You will not miss a thing as you pass queuing lanes of stationary or slow-moving traffic - you just go directly to your destination, with no parking to worry about and not a bead of sweat in sight. You arrive refreshed, alert and most likely smiling because you actually enjoyed the trip. You will be ready for action – no shower or change of clothing required!

In countries all over the world this is a reality - people have this option every single day. However, in the UK, we are unable to legally enjoy this particular mode of transportation. We have to drive, walk, and cycle, or use public transport; most people choose to drive. Rush hour traffic anyone?

The Highway Act 1835 renders the Segway PT illegal in the UK, everywhere other than on private property (and only with the owner's permission).

Desired Outcome

Modern legislation is required to legalise the use of the Segway PT on pavements and cycle paths in the UK.

Who We Need to Influence

The decision makers in the UK Government and the Department for Transport.

How Long Will We Campaign

In order to achieve a reasonable collection of signatures, six months will provide a realistic window in order to gather the target of 300 UK signatures. Support from other countries is warmly accepted; however, the target applies to UK signatures.

Who To Contact

Gareth Brandwood
proseg@segpet.co.uk (doesn't exist yet)
www.segpet.co.uk (ditto!)
Old 08-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
Socrates
Socrates is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Hi Gareth,

I would try to get help from the UK-dealership. I am sure they have a database of Segway owners in the UK and they probably will inform people from your petition. In this way you will reach pro-Segway people only.

Another way would be to convince the UK-dealership from collecting the signatures. I guess the segway buyers will give their signatures and addresses more easily to a dealer, who allready has some customer database.
Your petition should also be the interest of the dealers in the UK.

Alex.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi Alex. Thanks for your thoughts. I've not spoken to the UK dealer about this idea yet but you're dead right. They offer the best potential for supplying pro-supporters. And a link from their site would
certainly help - heck they could host the whole thing.

I'd like to get things in order, however, first. Thinking about the best approach and getting the case sorted. My next call to the dealer will be to put me on the waiting list for a new machine!

BTW, there's only 1 dealer in the UK and until the legal situation changes, I can't see too many more popping up.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Gareth, if you want an i2 soon, his batch for end September is nearly sold out!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
Gaye
Gaye

5 yr Member
Default Happy to support anything that might reverse a ridiculous decision.

Hi again Gareth,

I have now read the threads and am happy to support you in any way you wish.
Andy and Segway UK will have names of all Segway owners and interested parties and under the circumstances might allow you access.
I personally DON'T think they should be the folk to initiate a petition as they have a valid financial motivation for wanting the Segway OK'd in UK and therefore the value of the petition could be diminished by there being thought to be a conflict of interest. Petty thinking but isn't that just the way of our Government?!

Meanwhile let them try and pull me off MY Segway!

Gaye
Old 08-31-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Gareth,

Grammatical corrections (suggestions) in bold below. Any original text that is changed or recommended for changing is in blue, deletions are in red

I support this wholeheartedly and wish you the best of luck.

Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood

The Petition

Have you noticed how the roads in our towns and city centres are getting more and more congested? It's true. More and more cars are being used [by people Delete - who else would use cars?] to make an increasing number of journeys on the relatively fixed number of roads! The result: jams, fumes, noise and road rage. Did I mention that petrol and diesel prices are at their highest - and that they're only going to get higher?

Unless something changes, [it seems - Delete, dont' give your opponents a chance to pick at anything. "it seems makes it seem like a possibility, rather than an eventuality] the problem is only going to get worse.

Enter the Segway Personal Transporter (PT); an [American - Delete. The Segway has a critical component (BSA) from BAE, a UK based firm. You might want to highlight this point (get patriotism going] invention designed to help change the way we think about our transportation options. In the past we had the car, the bicycle, public transport and walking. These options still exist but we now have another. Check out www.segway.com for more details.

The Segway PT can carry an individual up to 24 miles in a safe and efficient manner. They operate within our existing infrastructure because they function anywhere a person can safely walk - they blend in. You can now move further and more quickly than walking. The barriers that made you choose your car instead of a stroll are no longer an issue. You can glide to your destination smoothly and safely amongst pedestrians and within built-up areas - reaching and passing thru places you simply could not on a bicycle. You will not miss a thing as you pass queuing lanes of stationary or slow-moving traffic - you just go directly to your destination, with no parking to worry about and not a bead of sweat in sight. You arrive refreshed, alert and most likely smiling because you actually enjoyed the trip. You will be ready for action – no shower or change of clothing required!

In countries all over the world this is a reality - people have this option every single day. However, in the UK, we are unable to legally enjoy this particular mode of transportation. We have to drive, walk, and [Delete] cycle, or use public transport; most people choose to drive. Rush hour traffic anyone?

The Highway Act of 1835 renders the Segway PT illegal in the UK, everywhere other than on private property (and only with the owner's permission).

Desired Outcome

Modern legislation is required to legalise the use of the Segway PT on pavements and cycle paths in the UK.

Who We Need to Influence

The decision makers in the UK Government and the Department for Transport.

How Long Will We Campaign

In order to achieve a reasonable collection of signatures, six months will provide a realistic window [in order to - DELETE] needed gather the target [of - Delete] 300 UK signatures. Support from other countries is warmly accepted; however, the target applies to UK signatures only.

Who To Contact

Gareth Brandwood
proseg@segpet.co.uk (doesn't exist yet) (segpet? sounds like a household animal)
www.segpet.co.uk (ditto!) (ditto)
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote