SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
aduboyce49
aduboyce49 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default SegWay Wheelchairs

I found a company called Segsolutions.com, and they make a sitdown kit personalized for what type of disability you have. The kit is called GlidRB1 , and can be attached to the Segwayi2 or X2. Check out the website, pretty interesting.aduboyce49
aduboyce49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
jjaskovsky
jjaskovsky is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduboyce49 View Post
Hi, I am new to this Forum, and wanted to start out by saying Hi, and telling You a little bit about myself. I am a T-3 Paraplegic from a Car Wreck in 1984. That is when I lost the use of My legs. I am now 49 years old, and have used a chair for 26 years. All types of Ultra-Light Wheelchairs. I have been duing some web searching when I came across some different videos on You Tube, and they were Segway Wheelchairs, or sitdown Segways. One of the people that was riding one was a Paraplegic. I have spent a good part of the day, trying to find out more info, on how I could buy, or have one of these Segway Wheelchairs built? Like I said I have used a chair now for 26 years, and have never seen anything quite so Cool as a Segway Wheelchair. I test drove an Ibot Chair a few years back, but at $30K it was way out of My price range, and I guess everyone else thought so too, since they are now out of business. I know a regular standup Segway goes for about $6K, so I wouldn't think the Wheelchair Segway would be all that much more, certainly not $30K. I have heard a few people talking like they already have these Segway Wheelchairs, and like I said I saw a Papaplegic in a Video on You Tube, riding one with his daughter with Him, and I also saw the one with Josef Mora from Spain. I have not been able to get any information about how I could buy one of these Segway Wheelchais, or have one built for me, whatever way, it doesn't matter, I just would like to have one. After 26 years of using a chair the Segway Wheelchair looks like it would improve my mobility, and my life in general 100%. I have always liked my Ulta-Light chairs, and still do, but I am almost 50 years old, and it would be nice to have a different option of mobility, not that I would give up my Ultra-Light Wheelchair, it would be just a second mode of mobility for Me and I am a very active Paraplegic,I still Drive, and Transfer all the time, so I don't think that would be an issue. So if anyone could PLEASE hook Me up with some information on how I can buy, and or have a Segway Wheelchair built for Myself, and around what the cost it would be, and how soon, I could have this done? I am glad I joined this Forum, and I think , and Hope I will get alot of information from this. Thank You Very Much, and I Hope To Hear Back From Someone Soon. aduboyce49/Alan......................
Hi,
I am lookingfor the same solution that you are. I could not handle the stand-up Seg. Yesterday, I visited Steve Pratt, who is in many of those videos that you saw on the web. I had the opportunity to ride his Seg, and I was amazed at how easy to balance and run it was. He charges about $1,000 for his adaptation of the standard Segway.

I am looking for an X2 now and will hopefully have mine ready to go in a month. Steve's contact is 360-561-3691.
Jim
jjaskovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
jhayden603
jhayden603 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default other considerations for segway wheel chair

Do a Google search " segway Ally" they run 16k or try "segseat" those run about $500, never tried either one but seems like it may help you in researching. I am in NH as well at the North end of Lake Winnipesaukee good luck in your search.
jhayden603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #14
Hesam
Hesam is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Wheelchair

The name of guy in the Segway Wheelchair is Casey.
His company is called LayneBuilt LLC
The chair's name is ALLY Chair.
It costs $6999, $7000, yes it's a ridiculous price more than a Segway itself!
No, the lift is not Ally-Lift. There are Bruno Outrider PUL-1100 and Harmar AL-800 models that sell for $2250 new and I saw a used one for $400.
Personally I prefer to use a basic electric lift and load it on the back of SUV or the side of minivan.
If you want a Segway Wheelchair my suggestion is:
First find a i2 Segway(The new generation) with under 700 miles and buy for $3000 to $4000 max.
Then go to segsolutions4reedom.com and buy the short($800) or tall($1200) Segway-chair.
Then you'd need a metal shop to build you a better foot-rest, an upholstry-shop to build you a short back-rest and attach to your chair.
And finally invent your own 2-leg(back and front) or 4-leg stand so you can stop and turn the machin off to get off or behind a table. I give you a hint: Use 2 small hydraulic jacks upside-down that lower to the ground and a spring to pull it back up, that way you'll be balanced even on rough surfaces.

Most Segways last trouble-free up to 10,000 to 20,000 miles so they're very reliable.
By 2015 there will be lots of Gyroscopic chairs with Lithium Phosphate batteries for sale, for now we have to create 1 ourselves or rely on greedy inventors.
Hesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Tuna
Tuna is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Wheelchairs

Just found this thread today. I am currently an iBOT owner and have been following the production of a number of "Segway Wheelchairs" for some time now. These include a number of SegSeat/Saddle offerings, Ally Chair, Freedom GlidR, Welzorg Segway, Josep Mora Design, and a few others. I must admit that the concept of a compact, two wheeled, self balancing, mobility device holds a lot of potential for disabled people. Currently the device that I believe that is furthest along is called the "Genny" and marketed by an Italian company called Genny Mobility. Their 2nd generation chair was just introduced Feb 28, 2012 and isn't available in the US as of yet. They have assured me that they will soon be marketing a "kit" that can be used to modify an i2 or x2 purchased domestically. However, I'm expecting the price to be prohibitive. They are currently selling the Genny 2.0 in Europe for 16000 euros.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
Segfree
Segfree is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Just found this thread today. I am currently an iBOT owner and have been following the production of a number of "Segway Wheelchairs" for some time now. These include a number of SegSeat/Saddle offerings, Ally Chair, Freedom GlidR, Welzorg Segway, Josep Mora Design, and a few others. I must admit that the concept of a compact, two wheeled, self balancing, mobility device holds a lot of potential for disabled people. Currently the device that I believe that is furthest along is called the "Genny" and marketed by an Italian company called Genny Mobility. Their 2nd generation chair was just introduced Feb 28, 2012 and isn't available in the US as of yet. They have assured me that they will soon be marketing a "kit" that can be used to modify an i2 or x2 purchased domestically. However, I'm expecting the price to be prohibitive. They are currently selling the Genny 2.0 in Europe for 16000 euros.
I have built the Segfree, after I couldn't get my hands on a Genny.
Probably gonna sell for under $10,000-00 in the USA.