SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #31
Evenau
Evenau is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default We need your help.

I am a fervent supporter of DRAFT. I am a 65 year old male who suffers from debilitating osteoarthritis in both my hips. My Segway is my savior when it come to getting around. However, I work summers at Kings Island near Cincinnati Ohio and they will not allow me to use my Segway to go from the employee lot to my work place. It is important to note that I do not go into the guest areas of the park. But since the parent company, Cedarfair, does everything the Anaheim mouse does, they prohibit the use of Segways by guests in the park. It is also important to know that the handicapped parking is a round trip of 600 yards to and from my work venue. I have asked for special consideration since I am legally handicapped but they have denied my pleas.
I wonder what would happen if one of the disabled Iraq War veterans to whom DRAFT has given a Segway, showed up at the front gate? I am guessing they would refuse them entrance to the park. I would gladly give anyone of them free tickets to the park and make sure the media is there when they arrived and were confronted.
I would love to hear your thoughts on the whole discrimination against disabled Segway owners. As my friend Alan at DRAFT would say, "until then.... Be Big."
Ev
Evenau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #32
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenau View Post
I am a fervent supporter of DRAFT. I am a 65 year old male who suffers from debilitating osteoarthritis in both my hips. My Segway is my savior when it come to getting around. However, I work summers at Kings Island near Cincinnati Ohio and they will not allow me to use my Segway to go from the employee lot to my work place. It is important to note that I do not go into the guest areas of the park. But since the parent company, Cedarfair, does everything the Anaheim mouse does, they prohibit the use of Segways by guests in the park. It is also important to know that the handicapped parking is a round trip of 600 yards to and from my work venue. I have asked for special consideration since I am legally handicapped but they have denied my pleas.
I wonder what would happen if one of the disabled Iraq War veterans to whom DRAFT has given a Segway, showed up at the front gate? I am guessing they would refuse them entrance to the park. I would gladly give anyone of them free tickets to the park and make sure the media is there when they arrived and were confronted.
I would love to hear your thoughts on the whole discrimination against disabled Segway owners. As my friend Alan at DRAFT would say, "until then.... Be Big."
Ev
Play the mouse against em' man. Next time you talk to your boss tell them that by allowing you to use your segway, they are being as innovative as Disney. Tell them that the segway isn't their problem so much as their draw. If that doesn't work, pray for the DOJ trial.
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #33
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You know, I am not a vet but am a disabled Segway user. I was planning on taking a trip to Cedar Point next summer. If that is still the CedarFair policy at the time, it will be confronted!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #34
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am a big fan of the Segs-4-Vets program, but why not just do the press thing yourself?

I don't know if the vets who recieved segways would be the people to use to further the rights of segways... It seems a bit backwards to me... I believe the value of giving the segs to these fine service people was to further their position, not the other way around...

I believe that a guy trying to eek out a living, and doing it while challenged, and the company they work for denying your ability to get to work, is a great human interest piece...

I don't think you need vets for this. I think you need press. The park is private property, and they can claim all sorts of things on the public access parts, like safety concerns, and one guest hurting another guest issues... In the back lot, where your issue is, all of those fears hold no wind. It is a simple refusal of your ability to get to work...

Why not use a cane, and have them yank that away as well? See my point? A mobility device, used by employees in a restricted area is very different than the same item in the park proper...

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #35
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player

And to add to what Karl said.... Disney employees use segways behind the scenes, and I've even seen them outside of the park. (probably going between the backlot and the Mickey parking structure).

So use by an employee in restricted areas not accessible to the general public, should not be a big issue.

If they are worried about liability and safety to other employees, just let them know that you won't let other employees use your segway.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am a big fan of the Segs-4-Vets program, but why not just do the press thing yourself?

I don't know if the vets who recieved segways would be the people to use to further the rights of segways... It seems a bit backwards to me... I believe the value of giving the segs to these fine service people was to further their position, not the other way around...

I believe that a guy trying to eek out a living, and doing it while challenged, and the company they work for denying your ability to get to work, is a great human interest piece...

I don't think you need vets for this. I think you need press. The park is private property, and they can claim all sorts of things on the public access parts, like safety concerns, and one guest hurting another guest issues... In the back lot, where your issue is, all of those fears hold no wind. It is a simple refusal of your ability to get to work...

Why not use a cane, and have them yank that away as well? See my point? A mobility device, used by employees in a restricted area is very different than the same item in the park proper...

Good luck.

Karl poses a good point, but there is one problem. You do not need vets, but I would understand why you would not want to do it yourself. Going up against the company you work for in such a publicized role, is likely to get you fired. They cannot legally fire you for challenging them, but if you are ever a minute late for work, they can fire you for attendence, if you see what I mean. I would understand if this is the reason he doesn't want to take them on himself, but to single out just vets to help him, well, that is unneccessary!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #37
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Eeoc

You should file a complaint with the EEOC
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #38
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenau View Post
I am a fervent supporter of DRAFT. I am a 65 year old male who suffers from debilitating osteoarthritis in both my hips. My Segway is my savior when it come to getting around. However, I work summers at Kings Island near Cincinnati Ohio and they will not allow me to use my Segway to go from the employee lot to my work place.Ev
Interesting- I only go to kings' island once a year, when my company has a day at kings' island for the employees.

I have exactly the same problem with a hip and just got my seg last week. I actually called Kings' island today to see if I'd be able to ride my seg in the park and was told firmly "no!... however, we can rent you a wheelchair when you come into the park."

I told her thanks anyway and I wouldn't be attending the company outing this year.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #39
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
Interesting- I only go to kings' island once a year, when my company has a day at kings' island for the employees.

I have exactly the same problem with a hip and just got my seg last week. I actually called Kings' island today to see if I'd be able to ride my seg in the park and was told firmly "no!... however, we can rent you a wheelchair when you come into the park."

I told her thanks anyway and I wouldn't be attending the company outing this year.

I was under the impression that it was illegal to deny a person access to a public venue because of their mobility device, and then attempt to force them to pay for one that is owned by the venue...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #40
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I was under the impression that it was illegal to deny a person access to a public venue because of their mobility device, and then attempt to force them to pay for one that is owned by the venue...
That was my impression, too, though I didn't find it in the Q&A page I expected it on on the ADA website (www.ada.gov). I'll look more another time.

However, for the original complainant, this isn't a public venue, so rather than ADA title III (public accommodations), we're talking title I (employment), and reasonable accommodation.

I think it still nets out as illegal, but I've not read Title I as often, and am even further from knowing all the ins-and-outs than forf Title III.

But back to your point. I've had this happen to me a few times -- "we can supply a wheelchair", or "we have motorized shopping carts". I've never been forced into them -- and paying for it was never an issue. But it was my impression that further, they can't force you to use alternate accommodations.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote