SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Seat for Segway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
You didn't tell me you were thinking about a seat! Which one did you get?
Lots of factors were considered..I only need it sporadically right now, but had the funds right now...

The one that folds down seemed ideal--and cheaper-- but I'd have had to travel clear to Minneapolis to see and test one and the company ( or at least the person I talked to) seemed a bit less interested in me as a user.

The Seg Saddle is a good bit more expensive but my local dealer could and would get a sample one for me to try. I may someday need the SegSurry (more wheelchair like version) and the change is reasonable. So that is the one I got.

The service was great, minor complications, mostly from inexperienced dealer, well taken care of. It is a very well made device.

The seat itself is quickly removable and it rides like normal without it. With it on, getting on and off takes some practice--their directions sound bit strange, but work. <G> Practice is definitely needed to be able to get off it quickly if necessary. I found that I had no trouble raising and lowering the seat even while on the segway..

The seat is much more comfortable than I expected once you find its sweet spot. <G> The seat is a bit in the way when standing, but more using it will get used to that. Shifting from standing to sitting and back is easy. At this point, mostly for time for practice reasons, I am leaving the seat off unless I'm sure I will need it.

Riding and staying in one spot are very stable but takes some getting used to to combine sliding your seat position forward and back (your balance and center of gravity) along with turning or changing speed. And of course, your view is quite different. I haven't used it enough yet to feel as free with it as I am without it.

The one thing I haven't done yet is remove the Segway front accessory bag--my legs are too long, even with the seat at full height, and the bag is in the way and inhibits turning a bit. More practice needed. <G> I think though that it would be very easy to knee steer and go hands free.

I'd say that any one wanting a seat needs to evaluate when and how they will use it and then try a couple different versions first. It is great to be able to rest a bit on the days when weather makes any kind of standing painful, or when a glide has been extra long and a bit of a rest makes a big difference... I don't need it desperately at this point, but I'm glad I have it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
I'd say that any one wanting a seat needs to evaluate when and how they will use it and then try a couple different versions first. It is great to be able to rest a bit on the days when weather makes any kind of standing painful, or when a glide has been extra long and a bit of a rest makes a big difference... I don't need it desperately at this point, but I'm glad I have it.
I've been resisting getting one, but I guess it's a lot better to at least figure out what works for you early, in case you find you need one unexpectedly. (Say, getting H1N1 and being too weak to stand for long).

But I've also advised others with progressive illnesses to get experience with their devices before they really need them; perhaps I should take my own advice.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I've been resisting getting one, but I guess it's a lot better to at least figure out what works for you early, in case you find you need one unexpectedly. (Say, getting H1N1 and being too weak to stand for long).

But I've also advised others with progressive illnesses to get experience with their devices before they really need them; perhaps I should take my own advice.
Your advice is good. Before we came to a retirement community and my husband's illness progressed, we were told that it should be done before you had to. Then you were able to become part of the community. If you waited, you were more likely to "just live there." The Segway as a mobility device is going to be part of your family for a good while and the adjustment will be easier before you have to...

It would also be good if dealers would consider having a sample(s) available.... obviously this would take a certain comittment on their part, but having to travel a thousand miles just to try one is not a good option either...

Perhaps the professional tour association being talked about could also consider this factor. The dealer in Branson, MO, attracts a good many senior citizens (with money <G>) so he now has one equipped with a SegSaddle available for them to try.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote