SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Lithium Batteries / Cold

What type of mileage are you guys getting out of Lithiums when the temp is around 30-40 degrees? I have a customer getting about 13mi on Brand New Segway Lithiums (we didn't recondition, rebuild, or anything) in 40 degree weather and I don't personally think that is too far out of line but I am basing that statement off other applications we have done with lithiums where this was noted. The only thing we did was load test them to validate capacity and they are putting out the full capacity when discharged at 70 degrees. Any thoughts, comments, or experiences that I can share with the customer?
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well, with a little aggressive riding in hot weather, on an x2 (4psi), I got 14-15mi (The only time I remembered to reset the trip-computer before going all out...)...

So, assuming the cold kicks in, he rides a little aggressive, and it's an i2, I think it's fair...

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.
Joushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

Default Use a Battery Blanket

SegVator has been working on a battery warmer solution for cold weather operation. I have to keep my Segways in the garage and they don't like the cold Wisconsin winters much. Also, the X2 is nearly impossible to get through most residential doorways.

I think we have come up with a fairly simple solution which will keep the battery temp between 65 F and 80 F while not in use. Thermostatically controlled so you can leave it plugged-in regardless of ambient temp. Installation/removal takes about 10-15 minutes, at most.

It has worked great for me so far and allows any Segway model to be ready to go in cold weather and use when it's nice enough outside to enjoy a glide.

The "blanket" is 5" wide x 28" long and is strapped to the underside of the batteries from the control shaft to the rear of the platform. It doesn't hold much heat while gliding but will keep the batteries warm when you start out. The heat generated during gliding has been enough to not be a problem for me.

The thermostat keeps the batteries between 65 F and 80 F. From the information I've been able to gather, 80 F is the optimum temp for battery performance, in general.

Many battery blankets don't have a thermostat and could "overheat" the batteries which could be very dangerous. Hence the built-in thermostat. You can leave it plugged-in full time while charging and not have to worry.

It really only takes about 5 minutes to remove/install....I put 10-15 min. for the first time as to not overstate how easy it is.

The Battery Warmer is made by Phillips & Temro Industries and called a Temro ZeroStart - part # 280 0055 - 50 watt/125 volt - 71 cm/28". http://www.zerostart.com/UserFiles/F...ct_catalog.pdf - Page 74. (make sure it has a thermostat).

I then utilize a "tree" bungee (from a new tree stake set) to hold it on to the bottom of the Segway. All told, probably have about $75.00 into the kit and it works great. Easy to install/remove between seasons too.

With a Gen 2, the first top loop around the shaft is made large enough to go around the center console as well. So it does fit both Gen 1 and Gen 2 machines. Get the longer "tree" stake kit because it does require a rather long bungee to go around and then strap to the shaft.

Here are some photos:

Warming1.jpg

Warming2.jpg

Warming3.jpg

Warming4.jpg

Warming5.jpg

Last edited by DarthSegVator; 01-05-2010 at 11:54 AM..
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

More photos:

Warming6.jpg

Warming7.jpg

Warming8.jpg

Warming9.jpg

SegVator Warming Blanket 1.jpg

Last edited by DarthSegVator; 01-05-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
MTOBATTERY

Very cool!......or hot
Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Assuming your 50 watt heater runs about 75% of the time in your garage, that's like leaving a 37 watt light bulb plugged in 24/7 during winter months.

Don't mention this to your "green" friends.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
DarthSegVator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Don't mention this to your "green" friends.
I don't have any of those.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
MTOBATTERY

Friends.....or just green ones?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
doctorkurtschleg
doctorkurtschleg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
What type of mileage are you guys getting out of Lithiums when the temp is around 30-40 degrees? I have a customer getting about 13mi on Brand New Segway Lithiums (we didn't recondition, rebuild, or anything) in 40 degree weather and I don't personally think that is too far out of line but I am basing that statement off other applications we have done with lithiums where this was noted. The only thing we did was load test them to validate capacity and they are putting out the full capacity when discharged at 70 degrees. Any thoughts, comments, or experiences that I can share with the customer?
With my year old i2 I maxed out just at 24 miles during last summer. Just the other day at about 42 degrees I got over 16 miles with 1 bar to spare, so probably could have gotten another 2 miles maybe.
doctorkurtschleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
MTOBATTERY

Attached are load test results at roughly 70deg temp and 35deg temps. Huge difference in capacity when it's cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LITHIUM1.jpg (16.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg LITHIUM1_cold.jpg (15.3 KB, 46 views)