SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
Michael M. Marcum
Michael M. Marcum

5 yr Member
Default Battery trouble

Hello

I own 4 generation 1 Segway’s. 2 of them for over 12 years. Over the last 5 months 7 of the 8 batteries have failed. They are all Lithium.

Nothing has changed. They are in a heated garage. None of my other electronic devises have failed. Only thing I can think of is the power went out before the first 4 batteries went bad. The others have failed over the last few months. I did not have them on a surge protector but after the first 4 went bad I added that but have had another 3 go bad since then.
Of the first 4 that have been repaired, 2 needed the BMS reset, 1 needed the BMS reset and reconditioned and the fourth had to be replaced.
I notice that a couple of the cords do not bite very well when inserted, could that be some of the trouble?
Has anyone had similar trouble or any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks

Mike
Michael M. Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile

A Private Message has been sent.

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
AccuXperT
AccuXperT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Battery Problems

I would be interested what's now been exactly the cause ...
Any insights ?
AccuXperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
fathertime
fathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Hi Michael-
Your batteries are at the end of their life and are behaving just as they should once they can no longer hold a decent charge. You may also need a software upgrade if this hasn't been previously accomplished. We can install the upgrade for you if you haven't had it done and we can also clear out any of the faults in the machine log at the same time. Feel free to give us a call if we can help.
LaGrange, Il. 60525
(708) 352-1685
fathertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
AccuXperT

5 yr Member
Default Battery Lifetime

End of battery lifetime is also what I thought.
My experience: if you do not use the Segway a long time it is advisable to remove the rear battery.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

This gentlemans batteries are not 12yr old as the post implies. Many of the batteries are fairly new and when we receive them they are simply overdischarged or have the BMS locked. We have found that when this happens there was either a period of time where the batteries were not charged and/or a charger failure has occurred. This can also occur due to a surge or brown out with the incoming power while the machine is charging. This users batteries charged fine, load tested fine, had low internal impedance, and functioned normally on our Segway. The issue occurred with rebuilt batteries and also with OEM Segway batteries. In closure this user either has a charging issue that can be found by testing the Segway charging using this method http://www.mtobattery.com/segway-charger-testing/ or the user needs to charge the batteries more frequently to ensure the charge level in the batteries is maintained. Take care.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Michael M. Marcum
Michael M. Marcum

5 yr Member

Hello, thanks for trying to help. As MTO stated, all the batteries are fairly new. Sorry my post was confusing.

I think the last failures were my fault. After the first 2 failures I stopped leaving my machines plugged in all the time. I was afraid I was having power surges. My machines are generation one and I thought I could leave them unplugged to avoid possible surge damage and only plug them in when the batteries were getting low. I was checking them every week and one week everything would be fine and the next it might not start.
I am now charging them in a different garage and more often.

MTO has been a great help.

Once again, thank you.

Mike Marcum
Michael M. Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
AccuXperT

5 yr Member
Default Battery Trouble

Ok, everyone handles things differently. I have 3 Gen1 vehicles and in my case the rear battery is continuously discharged at about 10 mA. A charged (healthy) battery comes so without charging after 20 to 25 days to the dangerous border with the deep-discharge. If now is not charged the voltage drops below the point where the Segway charger starts the charging process. In order now to be able to charge at all, the voltage has to be raised from the battery ! This can be done with the so called regeneration (reviver) equipment - or a simple 60V power supply ...

If I do not use the Segway long time I take off the rear battery.
And I never let the Segway constantly at the wall outlet.
For some people, it is useful to use a timer between wall outlet and Segway.

But I also have an advantage, I have used in my batteries a watt meter as you can see in the photo below. So I can at any time check the voltage of my battery :

Expertenakku - Prototyp mit Wattmeter - Kleineres Download.jpg

Last edited by AccuXperT; 05-28-2016 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 06-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
Megalow
Megalow is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

There is an opinion that Lithium batteries degrade even after three years if they are in the storage mode
Megalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Don't forget some means of limiting the current...60Watt household incandescent light bulb works well just takes longer..
...😊
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote