SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #31
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

From what the blog entry says, and what I shared previously, Segway received an infusion of capital. Which means that they will continue business as usual for the foreseeable future. I imagine it won't have any effect on service, parts, sales, etc. -- anything that's day to day business.

John
Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #32
dl1955
dl1955 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
From what the blog entry says, and what I shared previously, Segway received an infusion of capital. Which means that they will continue business as usual for the foreseeable future. I imagine it won't have any effect on service, parts, sales, etc. -- anything that's day to day business.

John
Awesome!
dl1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #33
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Should we be stocking up on common parts, to make sure we have them in the future? I've always been worried about things like the tires, the batteries, and such...
Personally, I think the news from Segway, Inc. is good. In any case, tires and batteries are available from other than Segway, Inc.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #34
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
They are very advanced (and much different) than others out there, although they may share the same cell types. Each battery contains it's own circuit board and intelligent charging system. The base merely contains the power supply/converter. The charging portion is in the battery itself.

The machine knows every battery that has ever been mounted to the machine and that specific battery's past performance characteristics. It knows when a battery has been attached to it for the first time as well. It knows when cells start to over-temp or are beginning to go bad. A truely "smart" battery.

Nobody, that I'm aware of, has anything like it. Why do you think they are 1/3 of the price of the machine?
How do battery revivers (which operate via the connector and do not require that the battery is opened) manage to force a battery to charge when there is a smart circuit between the power source and the cells?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #35
MaddFinn
MaddFinn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Manchester Union Leader article on acqusition

http://www.wmur.com/money/22238140/detail.html

BEDFORD, N.H. -- Bedford-based Segway Inc. has been acquired by a United Kingdom company.

The company, creator of the Segway Portable Transporter, said Thursday that it was acquired by a United Kingdom company backed by Jimi Heselden, a prominent U.K. businessman and the chairman of hesco Bastion. Heselden is also an investor in the independently owned Segway U.K. distributorship.

The acquisition was made in connection with a merger that occurred on Dec. 24.

The company said Segway received funding that will be used to support the continued growth of the company.
MaddFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #36
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Segway received an infusion of capital. Which means that they will continue business as usual for the foreseeable future.
I loved one of the blog comments I've read ... maybe in the UK we'll get a RHD version now
Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #37
Poetology
Poetology is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/14/segway-acquired/
Poetology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #38
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
How do battery revivers (which operate via the connector and do not require that the battery is opened) manage to force a battery to charge when there is a smart circuit between the power source and the cells?
I believe I read that the 'reviver' was designed by an ex-employee who must have knowledge of the battery's protocol.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #39
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

There are pins in the harness which are not regulated by the PCB. Those are the pins that are used.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #40
MaddFinn
MaddFinn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Updated article from NH Manchester Union Leader

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...e-32da3afaf32b

MANCHESTER – Segway Inc. is announcing it has been bought by a company based in the United Kingdom, but Dean Kamen says that doesn't mean the company he founded is leaving New Hampshire.

"I have heard nothing of the sort," he told the New Hampshire Union Leader.

Reached by phone early this afternoon before the official announcement, Kamen confirmed that Segway CEO James Norrod had "moved on." But he downplayed the significance of the change, saying the company was bringing in "a new investor."

"I do not know the new investor.," Kamen said. "I do not know of any plans to be doing anything different than they have been doing the last few years."

Asked if the Bedford-based company would be staying in New Hampshire, Kamen said, "I've heard nothing to the contrary."

The company's two-paragraph announcement was posted on its web site under the headline, "Segway Inc. Announces Merger."

"Segway Inc. is pleased to announce that in connection with a merger that occurred on December 24, 2009, Segway was acquired by a company that is based in the United Kingdom. The acquiring company is backed by Jimi Heselden, a prominent U.K. businessman and the Chairman of Hesco Bastion. Mr. Heselden is also an investor in the independently owned Segway U.K. distributorship."

"Additionally, Segway also received funding that will be used to support the continued growth of the company," the statement said.

The technology web site engadget.com had reported on Wednesday that Segway Inc. "has effectively been bought out by one of its own dealerships."

The site reported a Segway shareholder had recently received a stockholder letter informing him that Segway Inc. would be merging with JWH Holdings, "a company formed by Segway UK simply for the purpose of this merger."

It further reported the so-called merger was "more of a complete buyout, with current CEO Jim Norrod supposedly set to be replaced by Tricia Laidler, and Segway UK's Wayne Mitchell stepping up to be the new COO."

In 2001, in a much-anticipated live television announcement, Kamen debuted his self-balancing, battery-powered "personal transportation vehicle." In 2006, the second-generation Segway PTs were introduced.

Financial details of the deal were not disclosed. Segway is a privately held company.
MaddFinn is offline   Reply With Quote