SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
Hardenburgward1@aol.
Hardenburgward1@aol. is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default X2 I soft sand on a beach?

I enjoy the Ocean but have bad knees and walking on the beach, even a hundred feet to get to the water is a problem. I have a segway I167 which cannot handle loose sand. If anyone used an X2 on soft sand Atlantic beaches I would like to get your comments about suitability/problems using an X2 on soft sand.
Hardenburgward1@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
PDX1953
PDX1953 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardenburgward1@aol. View Post
I enjoy the Ocean but have bad knees and walking on the beach, even a hundred feet to get to the water is a problem. I have a segway I167 which cannot handle loose sand. If anyone used an X2 on soft sand Atlantic beaches I would like to get your comments about suitability/problems using an X2 on soft sand.
I test drove a Sui Generis wheelchair seat on an X2 base yesterday & the current owner uses it on Oregon beaches often. We have very soft sand dunes & he said there was never a problem. Being a newbie I don't know the OEM X2 tire size but these were probably 24" diameter & quite wide. Super heavy as well - my electric wheelchair lift was able to pick it up but was straining.
PDX1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:20 AM   #3
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardenburgward1@aol. View Post
try to go when the sand is a little wet like after a rain but head for the flatter smoother areas or an area with some beach grass avoid dunes with very dry sand. u must keep going -an x2 has a lot of power and digs with one wheel easily= thus knocking u offat least sand is soft the lithium batteries have vent holes so i would stay away from any salt water= but slightly wet sand is a lot of funim coming up on 13k miles and just noticing minor tire wear with theknobby x2 fatty tires at low pressure=nunder 5 lbs psi=gees im glad my x2 came with these tires
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

What about with the wide flat 'golf' tires?
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

[QUOTE=dudeman1961;241876]What about with the wide flat 'golf' tires? i feel they might spin easieri like the knobbies cuz they help climbing curbs or stairs i ride on hard packed snow and hard chunkey ice with my knobbies steep wet grass tooi couldnt play" golf anyway the knobbies are easy on turf at my= weight=165 lbs

Last edited by rotorblades; 09-17-2017 at 09:13 PM..
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on the forums in a loooooong time.

I have an X2 with a Segsaddle so I am sitting all the time. Being seated is a little bit harder to control than standing but not much.

I converted it to an I2 to get through 3 ft doors more easily. I have used mine with the I2 stock tires on the beach numerous times. Wet sand is wonderful. The slight slope of beach isn't a problem at all and I love speeding down the beach. It's the closest I have to flying since I've lost my ability to walk (waddle) more than a few hundred feet.

The sand stays wet enough between tides that it remains hard enough to not cause issues with the tires breaking through the hard wet surface layer except near the the high tide line. Even there it's not really an issue. You just have to go a slow and be aware in case you break through the top harder layer, spin a wheel and go down.

Soft sand is a little harder but definitely doable. Most beach accesses that I have used have a type of grid over/in the sand to get most of the way. The true soft sand is slow going. The deep footprints left by pedestrians make balancing a little difficult and I have to go forward in short spurts, but I have done it many dozen times. I had a shutdown one time that unexpectedly pitched me straight backwards onto my butt, but since the sand was soft it wasn't an issue except for my dignity.

I think an X2 would work very well and is probably overkill unless you are really concerned about falling in soft sand.

For reference I'm 6'5" and weigh around 250 lbs. so along with the Segsaddle the total weight is a lot more than most people would have to deal with. I've been bought my Segway used in 2010 and got my Segsaddle new at the same time.

I've mostly gone to Hunting Island, SC, but have also used it a few places in Florida, and Myrtle Beach, SC My biggest complaint is I can't bend over far enough to find small shells and sharks teeth. :-)

Hope this helps.

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Hardenburgward1@aol.

5 yr Member
Default Sounds encouraging

Thanks Jeff.
After looking at a bunch of stuff and reading both here and elsewhere I get the impression that wet sand, dirt, packed gravel etc. are all OK on an X2. Although dry sand churned up by a lot of people walking on it sounds like it “would probably” work, I did not find a bunch of strong statements like “works great” or “no problem” . However, being adventurous (isn’t everyone who rides a segway a little adventurous?) I took a chance and bought a low mileage X2. It needs a little work before I use it so in about another month I will test it out for myself. After I try it I will post the results.
Mark
Old 11-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think you will be pleased. I should have thought to search for Segway wheelchairs. I know I had seen old videos of a double amputee on a x2 based chair going in a variety of terrains including sand. I couldn't find it, but I did find these:

If these people can do it sitting down you should be good

Segfree based on x2. Has several interesting videos.
http://www.segfree.co.za/the-segfree.htm

Testing Segfree I2 based in sand. This guy uses my technique of going forward in spurts in soft deep sand.

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #9
Hardenburgward1@aol.

5 yr Member
Default An answer soon...

After an incredibly long wait the factory is now repairing my X2. I am out of the country for a few weeks so I probably won;t get to pick it up and try it on soft sand for another week or so..
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Hardenburgward1@aol.

5 yr Member
Default And the answer is.......

It depends.
I was hoping for a nice easy one word type answer but I guess life isnÂ’t that simple. All answers below are for an X2 with knobby tires on fine sand on a New Jersey Atlantic beach.

On level undisturbed sand:
Example flat level sand that has not been disturbed for a few months.
Works well. Enjoy the glide with no conscious thought about problems.

On uneven undisturbed sand:
Example=someone drove a pick up truck over the sand a week ago but wind action has made the sand surface almost level.
Works OK. As wheels hit remains of old tire tracks below sand surface each wheel may spin a fraction of a turn so you need to be a bit careful and pay attention so you donÂ’tloose Your balance but X2 glided this without great difficulty.

On recently disturbed sand:
Example-sand “churned” by people walking on it:
You need to pay careful attention but if you proceed slowly and with caution I was able to glide disturbed sand.

Downhill on recently disturbed sand:
Example=going down the beach side of the “dune hill” after people have walked on this path: (churned it)
Doable but you must pay careful attention. Slow going but much better than walking if you have bad knees.

Unhil on recently disturbed sand:
Example-going up the beach side of the ‘dune hill” after people have walked on this path. (Churned it)
Problem. X2 tires wanted to spin in the soft sand without taking me up the ‘hill’. I had to dismount and walk up the “hill” with the X2 powering itself up the ‘hill’ alongside me.
However, it may not a problem in the Summer... The beach where I live (Midway Beach near Seaside Heights N.J.) puts rug like ‘Mobi-Mats’ on the beach side of the “dune hill” during the Summer months. These make itt easier for people to walk down/up the ‘hill’. I would br riding on an outdoor carpet rather than recently disturbed sand. I estimate (guesstimate?) that would solve the problem of getting back up the hill without getting off. Will find out for sure in June.

Tags
mobility device, sand, x2