SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Can't use MiniPRO

I didn't research enough!
I got a miniPRO to run back and forth to the mail room here at the apartment complex and also to get around in Disney World. I learned Disney World won't allow it.

There is a very large botanical garden that my wife likes to visit, she rents a scooter and I'll use the Segway miniPRO. Nope no segways allowed.

I want to visit the Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio but I'm afraid to ask if I can use the mini there.

Well at least apartment complex didn't say NO yet.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It is an "other mobility device". Organizations can allow them or not depending on if the organization determines Segways (or any hoverboard) are a hazard.

Call the places you want to visit and tell them you use a Segway to get around and ask if you can bring it. Some places will allow and some will not. I doubt museums will allow them but it is worth a call to ask. Too many videos out there of large Segways bashing about, after the rider falls off, and too many videos of little hoverboards whipping the riders feet out from under them.

The local botanical gardens banned our mini pros. Sucked, as it would have been a great tour.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Based upon your post you are not using it as a mobility device, if that is the case no one has to allow its use.

The DOJ ADA directive of 2014 states that 'as a mobility device' the Segway is to be considered the equal of a wheelchair. There are places that still ban them (Getty in L.A., Steinhart Aquarium in S.F.) but they may be violating federal law as they have done no specific study as required.

Last edited by dudeman1961; 09-10-2017 at 06:23 PM..
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My doctor filled out paperwork for me to send to the Pa. Dept. of Transportation that will get me a handicap parking placard. It hasn't arrived yet though. Do I need something else from another agency to show that I can't walk long distances and need a mobility device?
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
My doctor filled out paperwork for me to send to the Pa. Dept. of Transportation that will get me a handicap parking placard. It hasn't arrived yet though. Do I need something else from another agency to show that I can't walk long distances and need a mobility device?
I allways have the DOJ's phone number in my cell.....and have a copy of the ADA rules in my front backpack on Seg!!! It has heleped 2 times for me....Somewhere on the site there are some links.....Should be a sticky, but i may have said that once before?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
dudeman1961

5 yr Member

Technically, under ADA, your statement of disability after they ask you is all you have to provide, no written proof is required under law. However, if you are seen running and catching frisbee after that statement you can be cited (or whatever they do for enforcement).

Your placard will be in the vehicle. Here, in WA, they also issue a wallet card for your placard. I guess you could show that, but as I said, that is beyond ADA.

Good point, airdale, make a copy of the 2014 DOJ ruling. It has helped me educate the aggressive 'safety' person in the past. One thing that trips them up, too, is to specifically ask for the 'ADA coordinator', they go into a cold sweat when you do that.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Does that ADA tactic and call for the ADA coordinator work for Disney and early Segways or newer MiniPros? Does it work for the clone Swagtron hoverboards?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #8
dudeman1961

5 yr Member

I have an i2. No, it doesn't work @ Disney, but they lost the lawsuit but they have enough $ that they made their own 'equivalent' (in the eyes of the court) mobility device.

I have called ahead but most have never seen a Segway used as a mobility device, only on tours and are confused how it could be used by 'the handicapped'.
I 'just went' to the Oakland Museum (Oakland, CA) and was stopped by security. When I was denied I told them, "well, now we're gonna fill out a DOJ complaint form" they folded quicky. We had a wonderful time and all the security people thought it was so cool.
Same with the Huntington Museum in Pasadena, CA. I was watched like a hawk as I rolled up to 'Blue Boy' and 'Pinkie'. Now their website specifically calls out use of a Segway as a permissible mobility device (http://huntington.org/accessibility/).
I called DOJ about Getty and Steinhart, telling them that I had not visited but was informed over the phone of their policy and would be denied entry if I just showed up. DOJ said if I wanted to lodge a complaint I could and it would proceed from there; both museums didn't care if I lodged a complaint, they were sure it was 'too dangerous for their art' and I 'might fall into an aquarium'. I did not pursue a complaint.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Disney lost the lawsuit?

It now looks like Disney won the lawsuit because the plaintiff had sued many other businesses for not providing wheelchair access, but then claimed to Disney that she couldn't use a wheelchair for her disability (can't stand from or sit down into a wheelchair).

Furthermore, Disney provided uncontroverted evidence that Segways are a danger in crowds. And noted that a Segway had killed the owner of the company.

Just saying that Truck should be aware that Segways can be banned within the rules of the ADA. Especially one of the many Segway clones (minipro).

Try to Segway here at selfie accident museum:
Old 09-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
Fog_Man
Fog_Man is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I didn't research enough!

I got a miniPRO to run back and forth to the mail room here at the apartment complex and also to get around in Disney World. I learned Disney World won't allow it.

There is a very large botanical garden that my wife likes to visit, she rents a scooter and I'll use the Segway miniPRO. Nope no segways allowed.

I want to visit the Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio but I'm afraid to ask if I can use the mini there.

Well at least apartment complex didn't say NO yet.

The SegwayMini pro is ADA compliant. I have notes from medical doctors based upon my ailing back and totally reconstructed ankle and lower leg that I need a device like the SMP. So, if mine is appropriated, then they must provide a substitute at their expense. If I am denied, then they will be reported and lawyers contacted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fog_Man is offline   Reply With Quote