SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default MiniPro and others allowed under ADA

I know the MiniPro and others would have the same ADA protection, but I am worried they would cause more of a fight.

It seems like they would be more commonly pegged as recreational devices because of the small size, and looking more like a sports item.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
TopFloridian
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

No problem. If it serves your need for a mobility device, it is protected use.
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #3
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Yep, flown with mine a couple of times already. Easier than my i2 and no hernias for the ramp folks!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
I know the MiniPro and others would have the same ADA protection, but I am worried they would cause more of a fight.

It seems like they would be more commonly pegged as recreational devices because of the small size, and looking more like a sports item.
Put a handicap placard on it and that would remove all questions. I have found the placard changes everyone's response.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Segrick,

I'm curious. I thought the airlines wouldn't allow the lithium batteries on flights. I really want to take my I2 but never tried. I can't stand up for long so I need the I2 with my SegSaddle.

Any hints on how you got it on?

Also I second the handicap placard. I was challenged once in a McDonald's. The employee came up behind me and said they didn't allow Segways. I turned around and as soon as she saw the sticker on my handlebar bag she apologized.

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #6
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

OPMD, got to choose the right carrier. We flew SWA last October.
I called 2 months before and 1 week before to ask questions and was assured both times it was acceptable. Let them know when booking you will have mobility device, let them know it is lithium.
We had layover and they brought it up for the connecting flight.
Most had never seen one (i2).
I did attach information: name, phone and weight (105 lbs), and how to move it (‘just push or pull like a lawnmower’). They carried it via cargo bars to cargo. They asked about deactivation, I showed them the key which I kept.

And... it was awesome!!! It changed my life.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
OPMD, got to choose the right carrier. We flew SWA last October.
I called 2 months before and 1 week before to ask questions and was assured both times it was acceptable. Let them know when booking you will have mobility device, let them know it is lithium.
We had layover and they brought it up for the connecting flight.
Most had never seen one (i2).
I did attach information: name, phone and weight (105 lbs), and how to move it (‘just push or pull like a lawnmower’). They carried it via cargo bars to cargo. They asked about deactivation, I showed them the key which I kept.

And... it was awesome!!! It changed my life.
Thank you, this was very informative. I may try it now.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #8
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Echoing dudeman's experience but with my i2 folks at the gate paid a little more attention to where I was and where I was going. Not so with mini pro. Once I pull the quick-disconnecr handlebar off and put base in a rolling duffel, you look like anyone with a carry-on bag trying to jockey for early boarding. I suggest letting the gate agent know you are early boarding and if putting set in a bag - explain that also. Depending on how fast you are at it ( I practice) you can ride to as door or give to them at gate and walk down Jetway.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
TopFloridian

5 yr Member

Any device used for mobility with a battery of over 300wh MUST be checked (counter checked or gate checked) and the pilot must be notified.

I have flown with a Mini Pro or my Segway Elite+ on more than one airline. The first time I flew with the MiniPro, I did not know all the FAA rules (and neither did local airline personal at the gate!). They told me that I could take my MiniPro on board, and the flight attendant even helped me put the duffel bag that held it above with carry-ons.

The last minute before they closed the cabin door, the top local airline official came and told me that I could not fly with it (despite having cleared all required hurdles with notification of their disability department and pre-inspection!) Fortunately they held it for me until my return flight and did not make me get off the flight.

I wrote to the airline and was fortunate to find someone who was able to straighten this out for future flights.

There is no FAA lithium-ion battery size limit for someone who is mobility challenged - if the battery is not detachable and the device can be securely turned off.

Reference: FAA 49 CFR §175.10 Illustrated - (See Page 10)
Link:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...s_and_Crew.pdf

Last edited by TopFloridian; 12-16-2017 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: Documentation
Old 10-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
TopFloridian

5 yr Member

Just to clarify, no mobility aid with a battery of 300WA or more can be brought onto an aircraft. It MUST be checked, either at the baggage counter or at the gate.