SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation Please File Your ADA Violation Complaints

It's important that anyone who has their civil rights violated under Title III file an ADA Complaint. I am not naive or believe that these complaints are followed up on an individual basis, but the violations have to be a matter of record and numbers can't hurt.

http://www.ada.gov/t3compfm.htm

This will be of great importance as the DOJ reviews the issue.
Please pass this info along anyone you know that uses a Segway as a mobility aid.

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
It's important that anyone who has their civil rights violated under Title III file an ADA Complaint. I am not naive or believe that these complaints are followed up on an individual basis, but the violations have to be a matter of record and numbers can't hurt.

http://www.ada.gov/t3compfm.htm

This will be of great importance as the DOJ reviews the issue.
Please pass this info along anyone you know that uses a Segway as a mobility aid.

Be Big,
AMAC
A couple weeks ago I filed a Missouri Human Rights complaint and an ADA complaint against the Missouri Department of Conservation. They had no policy in place last Feb when I first raised the question and have only now formed a committe to study the matter. I think it will meet in a day or two...

Their latest solution was a plan to to set up a permit system for using a Segway as an EPAMD and it sounded like they did not want to include nature trails or anything except areas already meeting ADA accessible standards. And there are all too few of those considering the size of this state...especially if you are not a hunter or fisherman.

I have no compaint with the local officials but their hands have been tied...

I tried to get it worked out without going formal but my 180 day window for filing was rapidly disappearing....

I thought these did get considered or maybe they are not all considered significant enough to deal with at least in a newsworthy fashion.... guess I am naive. The Missouri Human Rights complaint warned that it would be several months before you hear anything--and please don't call us in the meantime!
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Talking I'm going to enjoy this...

The national gallery of art is first on my list. You hear that ladies and gentlement, that's the sound of thousands of pens, pencils, computers, and all manner of writing accoutrements in working in unison. I love that sound, sounds like victory.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Default My Bad !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
A couple weeks ago I filed a Missouri Human Rights complaint and an ADA complaint against the Missouri Department of Conservation. They had no policy in place last Feb when I first raised the question and have only now formed a committe to study the matter. I think it will meet in a day or two...

Their latest solution was a plan to to set up a permit system for using a Segway as an EPAMD and it sounded like they did not want to include nature trails or anything except areas already meeting ADA accessible standards. And there are all too few of those considering the size of this state...especially if you are not a hunter or fisherman.

I have no compaint with the local officials but their hands have been tied...

I tried to get it worked out without going formal but my 180 day window for filing was rapidly disappearing....

I thought these did get considered or maybe they are not all considered significant enough to deal with at least in a newsworthy fashion.... guess I am naive. The Missouri Human Rights complaint warned that it would be several months before you hear anything--and please don't call us in the meantime!
Lily,

I should not have implied that the complaints go without consideration, poor choice of words on my part. The complaints get read but government moves at it's own pace...

It's still important that you filed your complaint. In the end numbers count.

Be Big,
AMAC

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Tarkus

To ease the process of filling a complaint you can now do so on the new DRAFT website:

http://www.draft.org/DisabilityRights.aspx

Remember you do not have to be denied access at the door, denial over the phone, email etc. is the same as at the door.

Be Big,
AMAC

Old 04-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
David Moran
David Moran is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hey Everyone

I'm David from the CO High Country. I'm disabled with a mobility disability.
I don't have my Seg yet but hope to get mine soon! And engage in your forums here about learning more and hope to help make the Segway considered a recognised mobility device for Seniors and the Disabled. It is working for Disabled Vets now and If we work at it..I think we can get them listed!

You'll see me chime in from time to time...glad to be a part of this...cant wait to Glide the Rockies!

Dave
David Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Greg_Immethun
Greg_Immethun is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default You will love it if you get one

You will love it if you get one. I bought my i2 about 3 years ago and use it everyday now. I walk, but very badly due to a spinal cord injury. It totally altered my way of thinking when it comes to trips to the store, parking, etc, etc. Still there are some barriers, but if you are extra courteous people will let you use them just about anywhere. I figure they are kind of startling the first time people see them, but if you give a good impression they will like you and have no reason to complain. Greg
Greg_Immethun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
JM Wilber
JM Wilber is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
To ease the process of filling a complaint you can now do so on the new DRAFT website:

http://www.draft.org/DisabilityRights.aspx

Remember you do not have to be denied access at the door, denial over the phone, email etc. is the same as at the door.

Be Big,
AMAC
this is for vets olny right
JM Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Wilber View Post
this is for vets olny right
No, it's for anyone who uses a Segway for a mobility aide. The ADA is part of federal civil rights law for all American citizens.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

We were at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO last Thursday morning. I asked if I could us my Segway and was told NO !! I was told that they are too dangerous. They gave nothing specific, except that there were too many people in the park. I used my cane to walk the park and it wore me out. I must admit that it would have been a challenge, not because of the crowd, but the terrain. All of the walkways are very smooth, but un-level and hilly.

I could have navigated it without much trouble, but carefully. Someone with more experience would have little trouble. Someone new to Segway would have a run-a-way. The crowd would have been little problem. We arrived about 8:30am, by 1:00pm the crowd had picked up quite a bit but still manageable. By then there were too many people in the park for me to enjoy the experience. I have no interest in being anyplace where it is "bumper to bumper" people, with or without the Segway.

We were welcomed at Swope Park Zoo in Kansas City and it was a great glide. We had no trouble, the crowd was light. The terrain was sometimes slightly rough sometimes. After we left the soo we were told that Segways were not allowed. It seems that they had Segway rentals at one time. That must have been fun to watch. It seems that everyone is afraid of a Segway, but not golf carts, powered wheelchairs, etc.

Here are my questions:

• Has anyone filed a complaint against the Swope Park Zoo or Silver dollar City?
• Have any of you been at either one of these places?

I will go into more detail in the topic, "Trip to Kansas City", in a couple of days. We had a great time with the Segways.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote