SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Another United Airline bad decision

Another bad decision made by someone trying to fly the friendly skies on United. I've not yet flown with my Segway MiniPro yet, I've always flown with my P133's. I too use my Segway's for personal mobility. Has anyone else here flown with a MiniPro? Here's the article reporting the experience this Segway user had while flying on United.

http://fortune.com/2017/04/15/united...ay-disability/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
CROSSBOLT
CROSSBOLT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I guess United only hires IDIOTS!

Karl
CROSSBOLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I think its time for Congress to address the whole ADA again!

Between all the fake service dogs, and this with the batteries, we need some clear solutions.....If it takes, test, paperwork, Dr. s notes?....What ever it will take to get rid of so much gray in the law!

Being disabled, I feel things, and life are hard enough day to day. Make things easier, not harder or add doubt!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
TopFloridian
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

After a long struggle, I finally was able to take my Segway MiniPro on a trip and back with United about 2 weeks ago as a mobility assist device.

This happened after a previous experience when I had it taken away the last minute as the cabin doors were closing.

I had to make my case to higher ups in the the ADS command chain. Also did an email with the FAA to prove that mobility assist devices really do not have a Watt Hour size limitation of 300wh if the battery is firmly affixed onto the device.

"If you have a medical condition, you should call us to discuss any clearance you might need in order to travel. Within the United States or Canada, call United's 24-hour Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744,
or from elsewhere call the United Customer Contact Center and ask to be connected to the Accessibility Desk."

If they agree, have your reservation annotated by them. You will not be able to check in advance.
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
TopFloridian

5 yr Member

(It didn't hurt that I presented an email from the FAA showing that there was no prohibition if the device is used as an assertive device for challenged mobility.)
Old 11-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFloridian View Post
(It didn't hurt that I presented an email from the FAA showing that there was no prohibition if the device is used as an assertive device for challenged mobility.)
That is great.....But we need to fix these things, make them clear, and pass laws..Its hard enough to be disabled then add some question if you can carry something or use it in public just so you can try to live and enjoy life!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
TopFloridian

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
That is great.....But we need to fix these things, make them clear, and pass laws..Its hard enough to be disabled then add some question if you can carry something or use it in public just so you can try to live and enjoy life!
There are laws, but staff doesn't always get the information correct. We have to be experts and help them do what's right.

United's policies on Assitive Mobility Devices is spelled out here:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...heelchair.aspx

Note that an assistive device used as a mobility aid (NOT for recreational purposes) has no battery size limit IF it is an integral part of the device and has a functional and protected off switch. If the battery is over 300wh, it MUST be checked with baggage (it can still be gate checked), labeled by the airline's tag as having Li-Ion battery, and the pilot must be notified.

This United Airlines form has been helpful to staff of United (and could also be useful when flying with other airlines):
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...hair-form.aspx

Segway had to be brought to the check-in counter and my information verified. Allow extra time, I suggest that you arrive at least one hour before boarding, and if you are gate checking you should be there at least 10 to 20 minutes before boarding time. Let them know you situation as soon as you can. If you have any issues ask for the airline's CRO (complaint resolution officer) who is supposed to be trained in handling these issues.

BTW - Some of the newer MiniPro models have batteries under 300wh, and might not be required to be checked, but you will still have to document them.

I just got back from a coast-to-coast trip with a Segway Elite+ PTR, which has a 620wh battery on Jet Blue.
Required calling their disability line and documenting everything, plus all of the above.

Last edited by TopFloridian; 12-11-2017 at 02:32 AM..