SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I filed an email complaint with the ADA. After submitting the complaint I received a automated reply that they received the complaint. That was over a month ago. I have not heard anything else from them. Do I need to contact them about this issue or does it just take a while to get my complaint processed.
The wheels of justice grind very, very slowly.....
I suspect that the magnitude of your complaint may make a small difference. Did it tell you that if you have not heard in 6 weeks or so to check with them? Then you can expect another 3-6 months or even longer. At least this has been my experience.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
The wheels of justice grind very, very slowly.....
The important thing is whether they grind finely.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #23
Sven
Sven is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Very interesting thread.
@QuadSquad

"In order to be regarded as having a disability and being protected under the ADA one must have a substantial limitation in their ability to walk."

I am mobility impaired to the degree that I have to avoid any activity that involves walking more than a short distance. I have never had anyone question my disability, and would be offended if anyone would. It is a matter between me and my doctor. I am well aware of the apparent abuse of disabled parking permits, but question how such misuse could be policed. Isn't there protections in the ADA against challenges regarding the severity of a person's handicap? The more basic question is, what is the larger problem, abuse of disability status or denial of the right of access for disabled folks.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Very interesting thread.
@QuadSquad

"In order to be regarded as having a disability and being protected under the ADA one must have a substantial limitation in their ability to walk."

I am mobility impaired to the degree that I have to avoid any activity that involves walking more than a short distance. I have never had anyone question my disability, and would be offended if anyone would. It is a matter between me and my doctor. I am well aware of the apparent abuse of disabled parking permits, but question how such misuse could be policed. Isn't there protections in the ADA against challenges regarding the severity of a person's handicap? The more basic question is, what is the larger problem, abuse of disability status or denial of the right of access for disabled folks.
Under ADA 2010 the only question anyone can ask about your disability is if you have one. They must take your permit card as sufficient proof. If you do not have one, then they must take your word for it unless there is visible evidence to the contrary. Not all disabilities are visible, but if you are turning cartwheels in the parking lot, they might have reason to question your status. That one of course has the potential for a problem...

As for which abuse of ADA is the bigger problem, that's a judgement call... They both create a problem for the disabled.

As for abuse of handicap spaces, that one is another sticky one. I've been told that the store has no power in the matter even if it is solely their parking lot...and I've never seen city police checking for that kind of violation.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #25
Nano-Oil.com
Nano-Oil.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default why last post 2014

Why is the last post from 2014 ?
I just experience a very humiliating moment in San Diego CA,
when I tried gently to inform the young lady about ADA , this brushed me even more so,
I always ask, so I specd a restaurant where there is room to park without troubling anyone then ask if OK to leave it there during my meal,
Oh my gosh, I pretty much got kicked out of there eventhough there was virtully nobody in the place, so my guests (Non ADA ) and I left, this just happened 20160427 7.30pm in San Diego Gaslight District,
unbelievable , a young lady refusing to hear why she was exposing the owner of the establishment to potential legal problems,
try to be gentle, next time, I will call the police and be done with the nonsense of ignorants deciding to stay that way,
Nano-Oil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #26
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano-Oil.com View Post
Why is the last post from 2014 ?
I just experience a very humiliating moment in San Diego CA,
when I tried gently to inform the young lady about ADA , this brushed me even more so,
I always ask, so I specd a restaurant where there is room to park without troubling anyone then ask if OK to leave it there during my meal,
Oh my gosh, I pretty much got kicked out of there eventhough there was virtully nobody in the place, so my guests (Non ADA ) and I left, this just happened 20160427 7.30pm in San Diego Gaslight District,
unbelievable , a young lady refusing to hear why she was exposing the owner of the establishment to potential legal problems,
try to be gentle, next time, I will call the police and be done with the nonsense of ignorants deciding to stay that way,
I have all my paperwork in my backpack and I also keep DOJ phone number in my cell phone.....
You may want to due the same.....I have a service dog and I keep all his info on him.....people just dont get it!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #27
Popkorn
Popkorn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default ADA & Segways in 2018

Many more facilities are updating their accessibility guidelines to include Segways. The ADA regulations covers all 50 states and includes "Wheelchairs, Mobility Aids, and Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices" It considers Segways as OPDMD – Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices just like motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

However, you can ONLY ride if you have a state issued Handicapped Parking Permit (like the one that hangs from you car’s rear view mirror). NOTE: I have a Segway MiniPRO with handlebar that has a scaled down copy of my Handicapped Permit in a special holder I made attached to it. (I tried to post a photo but coudn't get it small enough. If you PM me, I'll send it to you).

For all of you who have encountered problems in the past I hope you've seen changes for the better. Here are several situations I encountered in the past year:

1) I checked the New York City Parks Dept. website and found the name of their Accessibility Coordinator. He confirmed all NYC Parks are fully ADA compliant including use of OPDMD's. The next week I went riding in Central Park and got waves and thumbs ups from the NYC Police and park dept. employees.

2) I read that OPDMD's are allowed on paved paths in many NY State Parks. I spoke to their State ADA Coordinator who confirmed use of OPDMD's but suggested I speak to the specific park manager about which paths would be best. I did that and have ridden many times in Roosevelt State Park with no problems.

3) We are members of the New York Botanical Garden which is a 250 acre facility with mostly paved sidewalks and roads. I called and spoke with their Security Director, sent him ADA information and got a letter back from their Accessibility Director advising me that OPDMD's were fine except inside the main greenhouse where it can be wet and the paths are narrow & crowded. They let me park inside the building at the security desk. Their latest brochure covers all disability issues including OPDMD's.

4) Went to southern Florida on vacation and rode everywhere with no problem. Even rode through a glass exhibit at the Boca Museum of Art. I thought the Security Guards eyes were going to pop out of their heads!

5) I made a full-scale presentation to my local Parks Advisory Committee about Segway use on mixed-use paved pedestrian and bicycle paths for general non-handicapped purposes. They decided to keep their policy to not allow motorized vehicles including motorized wheelchairs. By working through the county's office for disabilities services and providing a copy of the ADA requirement, I was able to get them to change their policy.

For us older folks, the key here is to get a Handicapped Parking Permit. It gives us leverage through the ADA. I do sometimes carry a copy with me if I'm going into unfamiliar territory. Be proactive and don't take no for an answer!
Popkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 PM   #28
TopFloridian
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I always carry a copy of the letter from my doctor.

You don't have to be severely disabled to use an assistive device if it helps you, just like those who use cane can not be restricted if they have a valid need.
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #29
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFloridian View Post
I always carry a copy of the letter from my doctor.

You don't have to be severely disabled to use an assistive device if it helps you, just like those who use cane can not be restricted if they have a valid need.
But by law, you DO NOT need any letter from anyone.....Just carry the law with you!.....Its NO ONES business if your hurt, sick or disabled!...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #30
msw4chl
msw4chl is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Segway miniPro/miniLITE/Ninebot S as an assistive mobility device what should I carry

What should I or others who I work with from our area Light EV group, carry when using a Segway, or a HoverKart, or escooter, as an assistive mobility device?

We had NO problem using a HoverKart, a kit that adds a 3rd wheel and a seat to a HoverBoard, in and around Raleigh and other cities in Central NC. BUT when a friend and I went to a Central NC museum, I had an obvious knee brace and after brief discussion with a manager, I was able to take my Ninebot S into the museum.

My friend who is walking unsteadily with a cane, was not able to take his miniLITE into the museum, so once inside we took turns. He actually needs the mobility device more than I did.

What should we carry with us to minimize complaints? A copy of a handicapped parking permit for a car? (We did have one of those for my friend.)

Mobility scooters are wonderful. But friends who have tried our Light EV club's HoverKarts, of if they can stand, a miniPro/miniLITE/Ninebot S with a handlebar replacing the knee controls, find the Segway/HoverKart much more flexible and a lot more fun!

Thank you for all these stories of what to do to complain about lack of ADA compliance. For Segways or HoverKarts as replacements for mobility scooters what do we need to carry as proof that this is the reason for accepting these as Light EV Assistive Devices?
msw4chl is offline   Reply With Quote