SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
Hogo
Hogo is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
You mean newbies replying to 5 year old threads??

Don
You try looking for information here sometime. It’s a damn ghost yard here 😂
Hogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
PDX1953
PDX1953 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default X2 tires on i2 base

I'm a Segway newbie but as a retired Mechanical & Software Engineer I like to get as much information as I can before parting with a few thousand dollars.

I called Segway Tech Support yesterday regarding this i2 / X2 tire issue & when they learned it was going to be used with a self-balancing wheelchair they immediately and unofficially referred me to Jacksonville, OR Segway. They're the largest (by volume) dealer in the US & have extensive knowledge on conversions. We spoke for nearly an hour & they stated emphatically that although the tires could be changed physically it would most likely cause the main controller, voltage regulator circuitry & eventually the batteries to burn up. The software in each model is programmed for the wheel diameter, rolling resistance, etc & adding X2 tires to an i2 would in all probability cause a chain reaction of failures. However, the entire base could be sent to Segway, they can reprogram everything & it'll then work properly with either set. The unit needs to be stripped to the bare bones for shipment & the reprogramming charge is approx. $150 (I think) plus return shipping.

Jacksonville Segway recommended that I purchase 'Enhanced Traction Tires' for the i2 & supplied a quote:

(2) i2 Enhanced Traction Tire Kit - Installed (Tires Only ) - $570
Installed: The Enhanced Traction i2 Tire has become a favorite for owners who run their PTs hard and need a long lasting and dependable tire. This deeply treaded tire mounts to the i2 rim and can be expected to last up to four times longer.

(2) i2 Enhanced Traction Tire Kit - Not Installed (Tires Only) - $468
The Enhanced Traction Tire has become a favorite for Segway users who run their PTs hard and need a long lasting and dependable tire. This deeply treaded tire mounts on a standard i2 rim and can be expected to last up to four times longer.

i2 Enhanced Traction Tires mounted on good used Wheels - $618
Includes (2) new Enhanced Traction Tires on (2) good used wheels. Box will come with return label for return of old tires/wheels. A $60/per core charge per wheel will be charged for returned wheels in bad condition.

The gentleman I'm purchasing my Segway from suggested going to
sip-scootershop"dot"com and although I haven't looked at it in depth it appears to be a possible alternative to the above.

During my conversation I also learned a lot more about tires & think it's worth sharing. I have a second home in Dunes City Oregon and that's a very appropriate city name name. There are huge, soft sand dunes & the Jacksonville dealer said stock X2 tires would quickly sink & spin. They offer tires that are actually from a garden tractor and they're wide & flat so they'll 'float' over the sand.

There also seems to be some confusion around the term 'turf tire' because I've seen X2's for sale that were used as golf carts & the standard tires are referred to as turf tires which as I understand things, is incorrect.

Another subject that may be worth noting: Every major part in a Segway has a serial number (main board, motors, chassis, etc etc etc) and Segway can tell if a part has been changed since it left the factory. When the unit is manufactured each part is 'registered' in the software and if a part has been changed the software MAY need to be updated. The guy I'm buying my i2 from will allow me to return it within a reasonable period of time so I'm going to yank the covers & determine if any major components aren't on the original build sheet.

I hope this info will help someone avoid a costly mistake.
PDX1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

If you need an off-road Segway, why not just buy an X2?

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

If it's any help....I run a gen1 i180 with xt tires, I have a genuine xt and the hybrid feels better..and faster, been running it weekly for 9 months or so without fault...footplate switches seem a little more sensetive though..

just food for thought,...to accomodate different body masses the software can not be exact anyway.

Best

Ian
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #15
PDX1953
PDX1953 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
If you need an off-road Segway, why not just buy an X2?

Don
Don - If you were asking me this question I don't need an X2 now that I found more aggressive tires for the i2 I bought yesterday. The Segway Junkyard sells two i2 IRC Enhanced Traction tires & tubes for $192. That sure beats the $468 quote I got for two tires w/o tubes and I'll wager the only difference is the Segway name on them.
PDX1953 is offline   Reply With Quote