SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #11
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkorn View Post
My wife and I have taken many Segway tours in cities in the US and Europe and love it. We are interested in owning Segways, but current NY state laws (and county laws) do not permit their use on bicycle or walking paths. They are legal on sidewalks, but our community doesn't have sidewalks!

Does anyone have experience in getting state or local regulations changed to address these issues?

Thanks
Aside from having the advice to move to Florida, SegwayDan has had some success in changing Florida laws to accept segways on a significant trail system. He worked hard, and got acceptance. Changing NY law would likely be even more work, but he may be able to provide the blueprint for what he did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkorn View Post
My wife and I have taken many Segway tours in cities in the US and Europe and love it. We are interested in owning Segways, but current NY state laws (and county laws) do not permit their use on bicycle or walking paths. They are legal on sidewalks, but our community doesn't have sidewalks!

Does anyone have experience in getting state or local regulations changed to address these issues?

Thanks
maybe bike/wheelchair lanes?it only takes paint?
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:47 AM   #13
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Your mileage may vary...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Aside from having the advice to move to Florida, SegwayDan has had some success in changing Florida laws to accept segways on a significant trail system. He worked hard, and got acceptance. Changing NY law would likely be even more work, but he may be able to provide the blueprint for what he did.
I recently contacted the city of Key West to make sure that I wouldn't have any issues on vacation. They told me to call the Key West PD, which I did.

1) You must have a "permission slip" from your Mommy and Daddy...ermm, physician stating that the Segway is "mandatory for mobility".
2) Every time that you are stopped (by every #%&!ing cop in town..."there is nothing that you can do, or placard that will prevent this from happening".) you are required to show them your "permission slip".
3) If you do not have a "permission slip", you will be cited and you will need to prove your disability in court for every one of those hundreds of citations that you are issued, again, by every #%&!ing cop in town.
4) Make vacation reservations ANYWHERE but Florida!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #14
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoBob View Post
I recently contacted the city of Key West to make sure that I wouldn't have any issues on vacation. They told me to call the Key West PD, which I did.

1) You must have a "permission slip" from your Mommy and Daddy...ermm, physician stating that the Segway is "mandatory for mobility".
2) Every time that you are stopped (by every #%&!ing cop in town..."there is nothing that you can do, or placard that will prevent this from happening".) you are required to show them your "permission slip".
3) If you do not have a "permission slip", you will be cited and you will need to prove your disability in court for every one of those hundreds of citations that you are issued, again, by every #%&!ing cop in town.
4) Make vacation reservations ANYWHERE but Florida!

This policy goes against the 2010 ADA act. All you are required "BY FEDERAL LAW" is to in indicate you have a segway as an EPMAD "Electronic Personal Mobility Asissitive Device." You are not required to have medical proof on you. I have been in this situation for 8 years now. I do have such a letter, I occassionlly put a handicap placard on my leensteer (the Segcesssary Store sells a very nice one very suitable for seg mounting) but it almost always gets down to a game of chicken. I simply tell anyone questioning me that I do in fact have the right to do so, quote the above, etc. and they have to date all backed down. But I understand the Police would be different. You will win in court, but to have to go thru that is "anoying and inconvenient" to say the least. If the cops did that to me, I would comply, go to court, and then also call the local paper to try and make a fuss, so that the police take the time to learn the real rules, not the rules that they can make up.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
BoscoBob

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
...but it almost always gets down to a game of chicken. I simply tell anyone questioning me that I do in fact have the right to do so, quote the above, etc. and they have to date all backed down. But I understand the Police would be different. You will win in court, but to have to go thru that is "anoying and inconvenient" to say the least. If the cops did that to me, I would comply, go to court, and then also call the local paper to try and make a fuss, so that the police take the time to learn the real rules, not the rules that they can make up.
With MS, CAD and COPD as my constant companions, I think I will leave the hassle to somebody more able-bodied and just take my vacation $$$ somewhere else. If I can keep a few Grand out of their economy, that will be enough of a protest for me.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #16
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
With MS, CAD and COPD as my constant companions, I think I will leave the hassle to somebody more able-bodied and just take my vacation $$$ somewhere else. If I can keep a few Grand out of their economy, that will be enough of a protest for me.
I find this sad.....With what your dealing with I cant imagine them hassling you?
Not like you will be reckless or tearing up there streets....
I would call them and go right to the top of the PD....Maybe even get some kind of letter from PD?
I do agree about $$$$ its a small community and Im sure everything helps....but to miss out on some RR and seeing a beautiful city like that...
Yes it is your choice.....If you head to the SW drop me a line...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #17
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
I find this sad.....With what your dealing with I cant imagine them hassling you?
I would call them and go right to the top of the PD....Maybe even get some kind of letter from PD?
I do agree about $$$$ its a small community and Im sure everything helps....but to miss out on some RR and seeing a beautiful city like that...
One of the best advocates I have heard is our own Lilly Kerns here on SegwayChat. She has had alot of experience with getting this type of stuff resolved and has a wealth of information. I have greatly appreciated her input over the years. Search on her posts and you will find great resources about various regulations and how to lobby to get them adhered to. Just a shout out in case someone else finds it useful.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #18
BoscoBob

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
If this was still the 1960's, I would have been on them like a pitbull on steak. The fight is too much for me, and with so few vacations left, these asshats aren't worth my time, my energy or my money.

I took this as high as I could and just ran into higher levels of incompetency. They have the power and we make easy victims. They won the battle. Maybe if they keep winning enough, disabled people will begin giving them the "single-finger salute" and stay away with their vacation dollars. Then, we will have won the war.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #19
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
If this was still the 1960's, I would have been on them like a pitbull on steak. The fight is too much for me, and with so few vacations left, these asshats aren't worth my time, my energy or my money.

I took this as high as I could and just ran into higher levels of incompetency. They have the power and we make easy victims. They won the battle. Maybe if they keep winning enough, disabled people will begin giving them the "single-finger salute" and stay away with their vacation dollars. Then, we will have won the war.
So you know....I do understand completely!....My life is very hard being disabled at such a young age.....and many times I dont have the energy to fight.....I save that energy for myself just to survive!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Regulation Experience

I carry 3 things: a copy of my state EPMAD laws, ADA complaint form, 2014 DOJ ruling on EPMAD ("a Segway should be permitted wherever a wheelchair is permitted"). The first thing I ask for is their 'ADA coordinator', this usually gets the desk jockey's attention that you know more than they do. In my phone is the DOJ ADA hotline number (but it isn't staffed on weekends). Only once has it escalated to the point where I have said, 'I have a DOJ ADA form we need to fill out'; they did let me in and a week later changed their website regarding Segway as an EPMAD(!). It has always been the case that I am the first disabled Segway user they have ever seen, I have been asked if I was lost from the Segway tour.

If the place I want to visit has a website with a statement about accessibility I check that out. If not, I may call first and ask their policy, then educate them.

Only 2 places have not backed down, both in CA, the Getty Museum in L.A. And the S.F. Academy of Science. Their response was essentially, 'tough luck, report us if you want'. I didn't, there's too much other stuff I want to do.

And... Lily Kerns' advice is very good.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote