SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #21
Wallace
Wallace is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs up A New SEGWAY Rider With a Diverse Background

http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/dard/segway.htm

http://www.seaoutdoors.com
Old 02-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #22
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Talking Bring the boys back home

just stand there. and think forward.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #23
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up On March 14 in Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Laurenzano View Post
just stand there. and think forward.
A good number of the Segs4Vets reciepients will be able to do just that. Step or hop up, stand there and think forward. Their mobility will get a boost!

OH no, I am starting to understand his prose!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #24
pclark
pclark is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

As a new blogger with Multiple Sclerosis, and no Segway, can you send me pictures? I see the references to pictures, but no pictures.
I am interested in any infromation on the use of Segways.
Thanks!
pclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #25
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclark View Post
As a new blogger with Multiple Sclerosis, and no Segway, can you send me pictures? I see the references to pictures, but no pictures.
I am interested in any information on the use of Segways.
Thanks!
Welcome to Segway Chat.

The pictures were on the web 3 and a half years ago when this thread was started. But not all things are permanent on the web.

You may not have noticed how old the thread was before you posted.

Have you been to the DRAFT site?

http://www.draft.org/draft3/

The PT is considered by it's manufacturer as a consumer device and not a medical device, so it can be tricky to obtain medical related information. If you browse this section of the forum, you ought to be able to find some interesting things.

Do you have any specific questions?

Once you make a few more posts, you will be out of moderation mode, and you may want to post your questions in a new thread.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #26
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Welcome,

Pics can also be found at:
www.myspace.com/segforlegs

Here is another MS useres Blog I follow:
http://segwayman.blogspot.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #27
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default more blogs

Here's a SegSeat specific blog from a fellow disabled glider.

http://segseatblog.typepad.com/segseat_blog/

She's started posting again this week.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
Wallace
Wallace is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Rehab Agency tests and provides SEGWAY to Faculty ay Local Community college

From Car To Classroom

The AMARILLO (TX) Independent- Thursday, June 21, 2007

Take just one look at the smile on the face of Julia Davis, and you’ll understand the benefits she’s found in a technological wonder.

Davis, an assistant professor of mathematics at Amarillo College, is a two-time victor over bone cancer. The latest battle in 1995 resulted in a complete re-section of her left femur. In layman’s terms, she was fitted with a titanium hip, hip socket and femur. Unfortunately, soft tissue and muscle can’t attach to titanium. The result was a loss of muscle strength. Never one to acquiesce easily, Davis picked up a cane and proceeded full speed ahead with her teaching duties and her life.

Another set-back came in March of 2006, when a hemorrhage left scar tissue on her spinal column. In the aftermath, Davis had to face the full implications of her impaired mobility. Even with the use of two canes the difficulty and pain of navigating the AC campus forced her to consider medical disability retirement at the age of 55.

Then Davis ran into Wallace Johnston and his Segway scooter.
Johnston is the Associate Director of Texas Tech University in Amarillo. One of his projects has been a mobility study. The Segway, initially developed as more of a recreational mode of transportation, has been building momentum for its use in industrial, law enforcement and military settings. Johnston, who has neuropathy in his feet, also found a personal application for the scooter. He encouraged Davis to pursue a Segway solution to her own mobility problems.

That decision, Davis said, “Has given me my life back.”

“Shiloh” is a shiny machine, whose gleam matches the beaming smile on Davis’ face when she talks about how it has changed her life.

“One of the best things about my scooter is that I can continue to work,” she explained. “It was becoming more and more difficult for me to access my classroom and to navigate the campus. The distances I had to travel were taking a tremendous toll on me physically and emotionally.”

Davis went through a rigorous evaluation and training process before taking off alone on the personal transportation device.

There were discussions and meetings with physicians, physical therapists, psychologists, and occupational therapists. The experts evaluated her daily activities, including how far she had to walk each day, job requirements and daily living activities. Her usage of pain medication with and without the use of the scooter was documented. She also kept a daily log of how she felt mentally, physically and emotionally. Then her doctor provided a prescription for an electric personal mobility device.

The basic training included a safety video, a demonstration of the machine’s capabilities, practical riding, and machine usage with a trainer standing by. Finally, she was approved for independent use of a “loaner” to complete the evaluation process.

“I was amazed,” Davis said. “I was free again and at ease. The Segway saved 60% of my workplace steps. It allowed me to be independent and reduced the amount of pain medication I needed. Physically, weight bearing is beneficial and “Shiloh” provides that where a wheelchair or similar device won’t.”

The Segway Personal Transporter was first introduced in 2001. The vehicles have received growing attention in industry and business for its speed, agility and boost to productivity. Seattle, Washington and Fort Worth, Texas are just two of the cities where its common to see law enforcement officers using them to patrol downtown areas.

Boeing, Cessna and Tinker Air Force Base are some of the places where you’ll find Segway’s in use. Hospitals and health care facilities are also beginning to use the devices. An increasing number of cities are employing them for use in their bomb-squad divisions. It makes the job of a team member wearing 70-80 lbs. of protective gear much easier in terms of safely reaching, defusing or escaping an explosive device.

Five gyroscopes and self-balancing technology set the Segway personal transportation device apart from other mobility options. It is so finely tuned that all Davis needs to do is just “think” forward, backward or stop to get the machine to move as she wishes. It has a zero-degree turning radius and a width of just over 24 inches that allows her to navigate doorways, hallways and even into bathroom stalls where a standard wheelchair or four-wheeled mobility device would be unable to enter.

Battery-powered, the Segway is environmentally friendly. One overnight charge using about 10 cents worth of electricity will power the device for 24 miles, which is more than enough to propel Davis through an entire day’s activities.

“The personal transporters don’t have the same stigma attached to them that you find with wheelchairs or other types of scooters,” Johnston said. “With the Segway you’re at a normal height, so you can still look eye-to-eye with folks. That makes a tremendous difference in terms of self-esteem and the ability to conduct your business with confidence.”

Davis said she will use “Shiloh” anywhere that requires distance walking in order to save the wear and tear on her leg. She rode it at this year’s AC “Badgerama”, and says that it operates well on grass and packed soil as well as on paved surfaces.

“It has taken away my fear of tomorrow,” Davis said with a huge smile. “Now my retirement date will be my decision and not my body’s.”
Old 10-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #29
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Bravo! Thanks, Wallace.

Stories like these warm my heart.

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM   #30
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Thats what it is all about

Johnston said. “With the Segway you’re at a normal height, so you can still look eye-to-eye with folks. That makes a tremendous difference in terms of self-esteem and the ability to conduct your business with confidence.”
Thats nice
Crash