SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Should we/I carry documentation?

Live is a very small rural area...Visit many small towns.

Not sure how the different towns police with deal with a Segway on sidewalks?

Bus has been awesome, but just waiting for that moment with law enforcement!

I'm not much into telling people I am not allowed to drive a car because of medical reasons...

Should I have one of my professionals write something up? or is that just a waste to someone on a quest to prove there point?

Had no problems as of ........yet!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I think it never hurts to have two things in your Segway bag:

1) A summary of the Laws regarding Segways in your state
2) A note from your Dr. that you have a medical condition requiring the use of a mobility device.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
I think it never hurts to have two things in your Segway bag:

1) A summary of the Laws regarding Segways in your state
2) A note from your Dr. that you have a medical condition requiring the use of a mobility device.
A summary of your state EPAMD laws is a good idea if you are not disabled (and even if you are.) I also carry a summary of relevant parts of the ADA.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=25902 You are welcome to copy this.

If you are nervous about the whole thing, why not program the DOJ Help line number into your cell phone. Just reaching for it may resolve the problem. <G> You can always ask the DOJ about the issue and then ask them to explain it to the person who is hassling you...

ADA 2010 makes it quite clear that they cannot ask anything more about your medical conditions than "Are you disabled?" or ""Do you have a medical reason for using this?"

They are also required to accept your state issued disability card as sufficient proof--and failing that, they must accept your verbal assurance if there is no visual evidence to the contrary. (You are using the Segway, for Pete's sake! Now if you were turning cartwheels...)

There should be no need whatever to carry that prescription. It is none of their business...

Firm courtesy is your friend when issues arise. You do know what the law says and if they know that you can--and will-- file a formal complaint, it may help the situation. Then do follow up if necessary. It doesn't hurt to contact supervisors/ city/ state/etc officials, also newspaper and TV etc to resolve the issues if you can. Then if not, it is your responsibility to use the DOJ resources for the benefit of the rest of the disability community. If we don't, who will??

These issues can be irritating or much more than that, but they are also an opportunity for educating those who have authority to enforce laws. It pays to remember this always. If you can, it wouldn't hurt to have a friendly conversation with small town police. Give them a copy of your handout, offer to give them a ride or at the very least demonstrate how well the Segway controls. Prejudice is being down on something you are not up on!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lily Kerns; 08-08-2013 at 08:04 PM..
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The bad news in small towns is that they do not have the resources of larger communities, and often, do not have the experience with dealing with some less common events (such as people on segways).

The good news in small towns is the relative availability to speak with the police chief and other decision makers. And once you do that, and express or demonstrate to them that you are not a threat or risk to the public, then life is easier.

Years ago I attempted to have a bylaw passed in my town regarding segways, because my state is one of the few that still has no segway law of any kind. I spoke to the town meeting, but the Police chief did not support my bylaw by saying that he knows me, and if all segway operators used their machines as I used mine, there was no need for this law. He was actually very complementary in his statement that there was no need, because I am polite and responsible in my dealings, and he would simply encourage other segway operators to simply act as I do. He actually said that I was the only segway owner that he knew of in town, and if he did have any report of a segway issue, he would simply call me.

Now, that is great in my home town, but it would not address how life is in neighboring towns. I have glode all over, and have had very few problems, but as the OP said, it is probably something that will come up eventually, and you should be prepared for it.

I believe that Lily's advice is great. Be polite. Be prepared. Be persistent and tenacious, and stand by your rights. Most confrontations are expected to be resolved quickly by whomever is giving you a hard time. When they are in the wrong, they want you to shut up and give up. If you do neither, but request politely to speak with a supervisor, and offer up the applicable laws, you will win out. (Eventually).

At the same time I would advise to be careful if you find yourself in a situation where you are going head to head with an ignorant or disinterested cop. If that is the case, he will care much more that you are not doing what he said, than the content of actually what he said for you to do. That is why asking for the supervisor works well. If what he is saying is not justified, he will think twice if he has to explain his error to his boss. He will choose not to explain to you, but will not have that option if you bring it up stairs.

That is why Lily is ready to kick it up to the DOJ. They will get involved, and be effectively the call from the top floor. That way, even if the supervisor is ignorant, you have gone up from there as well.

Again, polite is the rule. You will win no argument with any cop I have ever met. You may score points or even win a debate with a reasonable one, but you will not win an argument. You must try your best to not let it become one.

Good luck. Be prepared, and hopefully never use that preparation. And most importantly, have fun.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Documentation

I do. Haven't had to use it. Read Lily's post about what to carry, it is really good.
I posted about my trip to the state capitol, thought I might need to use it, but my well-spoken wife defused their conservative approach to my seg and made it a great day.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
At the same time I would advise to be careful if you find yourself in a situation where you are going head to head with an ignorant or disinterested cop. If that is the case, he will care much more that you are not doing what he said, than the content of actually what he said for you to do. That is why asking for the supervisor works well. If what he is saying is not justified, he will think twice if he has to explain his error to his boss. He will choose not to explain to you, but will not have that option if you bring it up stairs.

That is why Lily is ready to kick it up to the DOJ. They will get involved, and be effectively the call from the top floor. That way, even if the supervisor is ignorant, you have gone up from there as well.

Again, polite is the rule. You will win no argument with any cop I have ever met. You may score points or even win a debate with a reasonable one, but you will not win an argument. You must try your best to not let it become one.

Good luck. Be prepared, and hopefully never use that preparation. And most importantly, have fun.
LOL. I do have a back up plan! My youngest son is now a lawyer and I have two local church friends who have offered to bail me out if it should ever be necessary.. In the beginning I was once threatened with arrest for being in a mall but it has never come even close to that point since. It has become a family joke and my dizzy family still makes the most of the issue.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
A summary of your state EPAMD laws is a good idea if you are not disabled (and even if you are.) I also carry a summary of relevant parts of the ADA.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=25902 You are welcome to copy this.

If you are nervous about the whole thing, why not program the DOJ Help line number into your cell phone. Just reaching for it may resolve the problem. <G> You can always ask the DOJ about the issue and then ask them to explain it to the person who is hassling you...

ADA 2010 makes it quite clear that they cannot ask anything more about your medical conditions than "Are you disabled?" or ""Do you have a medical reason for using this?"

They are also required to accept your state issued disability card as sufficient proof--and failing that, they must accept your verbal assurance if there is no visual evidence to the contrary. (You are using the Segway, for Pete's sake! Now if you were turning cartwheels...)

There should be no need whatever to carry that prescription. It is none of their business...

Firm courtesy is your friend when issues arise. You do know what the law says and if they know that you can--and will-- file a formal complaint, it may help the situation. Then do follow up if necessary. It doesn't hurt to contact supervisors/ city/ state/etc officials, also newspaper and TV etc to resolve the issues if you can. Then if not, it is your responsibility to use the DOJ resources for the benefit of the rest of the disability community. If we don't, who will??

These issues can be irritating or much more than that, but they are also an opportunity for educating those who have authority to enforce laws. It pays to remember this always. If you can, it wouldn't hurt to have a friendly conversation with small town police. Give them a copy of your handout, offer to give them a ride or at the very least demonstrate how well the Segway controls. Prejudice is being down on something you are not up on!
Thank you Lilly, I will treat this as my Segway checklist and get everything lined up as you suggest. Much appreciated.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Lily I love the PDF file!

I will print it and put it in my backpack...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've always gotten great response from the Po-Po and Sheriff down here in little old Tucson.
Only been pulled over twice, one was just a warning for rush hour, and the other was an undercover Florida cop (FBI?) in a Suburban for having too bright headlights...
(Was he high? My beams weren't...)
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
I was wondering, what if they see me walking, getting on and off the Segway, pulling the Segway, and climbing stairs?

Couldn't they say that was evidence and not believe my claims? I am just worried that will happen. Because I would dismount before reaching the stairs and they would see this. I appear healthy.

Edited to add: Obviously IMO they should not question me and believe me. Just because someone can climb a short flight of stairs (or a long one) doesn't mean they can walk a mile around the place.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote