SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #121
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Thanks Bob.

On the legislative track:

In 2008 DRAFT testified before The National Council on Disability
http://www.ncd.gov/

These people report to the Congress, Senate and President and it normally takes many years to get an invitation to testify.

We also presented testimony at the public hearings for the Notice of proposed rule change that the Dept. of Justice held last July.

http://www.ada.gov/NPRM2008/public_h...transcript.htm

This is a "Fun" read and not just about Segways. It does not paint paint a pretty picture of how corporate America sees people with disabilities.

We also spent countless hours on "The Hill" speaking with the Congress and Senate about our cause.

Not to mention the many people we have met in D.C through our Segs4Vets program.

The federal regulatory level (ADA)

With a new Administration we await the results of last Notice of Proposed rule change. Just what happens in Washington. With a little luck things will settle in and we will hear the results.

Just getting the Segway mentioned in that proposal was a feat.

WHAT WE CAN ALL DO TO HELP

I assure you that nobody needs to hire an attorney or come to Florida. But our numbers do matter !

The court has charged Jerry Kerr, Draft President with providing the objections of the "class". We will keep you informed on how to register your objections and any other actions that may be taken. We will provide all info needed to do this VERY soon.

I expect to have more to add next week. The fight is on.

As can be seen from DRAFT's above work at the Federal level we would have preferred a decision there, and that still may be the case.

We believe in 'Education over Litigation" but now that we are in we need your help.

We are in this together and I will keep you all informed.

Thanks again Bob for the questions. We need to be heard.

Be Big,
AMAC

Hi Alan: First, thanks very very much for your advocacy efforts. I just felt the need to address one line you had posted, " It does not paint a pretty picture of how corporate America sees people with disabilities." I can only speak from my own experience in my particular case, by I work for Lockheed Martin, a very very large corporation and the world's largest defense contractor and as a significantly handicapped person, they are overwhelmingly supportive of their employees, especially so any of those who have any disabilities. They have gone way out of their way to insure that I not only can continue to work, but have a great quality of life too. I suspect much of it is due to the great personal qualities of the people I am blessed to work with, but the corporate representatives without exeception have been outstanding and I am very greatful. They really look out for me and I believe they truely value all their employees. Perhaps it's because its in their best interest to retain certain skill-sets, but non-the-less they do. I feel so strongly about this that I felt I needed to point this out, at least not ALL corporations are non-supportive of the handicapped nor disabled. From your work, I can see you have a far more widespread and probably more accurate view of the state of things that I do, its probably more reflective of reality unfortunately. I do appreciate very much your efforts on behalf of the disabled. But I do strongly support LM's philosphy and efforts as well. More corporations should follow suit.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #122
Hans Willems
Hans Willems is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have never heard of any sort of gag order that would prevent any future action unless we get represented now in this action...

What happens to a person who buys a segway next year? That cannot be legally supportable.

I suspect that this will never stand up to appeal, regardless of how this goes, but that may be their plan. If they just make it inconvenient enough, and make enough hurtles to just get to the starting gate, that may be all they need...

We much remember that they have a series of lawyers on retainer all the time, and they know that any individual or group of individuals will not have that much structure and resources behind them...

Perhaps we need to get some groups like the ACLU to wage this battle for us. They claim to stand up for the individual, but I feel they really like to tear down any large capitalistic group like Disney...

I have no respect at all for the ACLU, and have been very careful in my representation of them. I am really trying to keep politics out of this post.

What I am trying to say is that I believe that what I have read seems to have been crafted by some smart lawyers clearly on the side of Disney. We may need to consider that a bigger organization may need to help fight this fight...
Karl,

I am from Europe the Netherlands and the social care gave me my Segway because of my disabilety of walking more than say 200 mtrs. they have payed, in my case half the Segway, this depence on your income, I had the choice of getting a electric chair, (scootmobile) but I prefered my Segway, this took some investigation and 2 times inspecters wanted to see me perform, but I have got one!
I am allowed to right everywhere on the pavement 6km.ph max and the rest 20 km.
Would this case help you in any way?
Please use it.
Kind regards
Hans Willems
Hans Willems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:10 AM   #123
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Willems View Post
Karl,

I am from Europe the Netherlands and the social care gave me my Segway because of my disabilety of walking more than say 200 mtrs. they have payed, in my case half the Segway, this depence on your income, I had the choice of getting a electric chair, (scootmobile) but I prefered my Segway, this took some investigation and 2 times inspecters wanted to see me perform, but I have got one!
I am allowed to right everywhere on the pavement 6km.ph max and the rest 20 km.
Would this case help you in any way?
Please use it.
Kind regards
Hans Willems
Hans,
Your comments are great, but there are others more familiar with this fight than I. Tarkus, QuadSquad are two that come to mind, but there are others.

Unfortunately, regardless of how you are treated at your home, I believe that if you were to take your segway to Disney World in Florida, you would not be allowed to bring it in the park. That is at least the last I heard.

Still, I am glad for your story, and the positive impact that your story indicates. I hope your segway serves you well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote