SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default R/C helicopter bit the dust. Replacement advice

I crashed my Dragonfly II RC helicopter for the last time - I must have had bad interference or something but at about 60' up it just veered sideways and practically rammed the sidewalk at full speed. A whole field of grass all around and it just made it to the concrete.

Anyway, I am looking to replace it and figure someone else on this forum probably has some good adice. Has to be a good hover in place copter though,, the dragonfly was kind of hellish to control even in light wind.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

One of the newer models of dragonfly is what you want.

If you have only flown the Dragonflys, you have zero stick time on regular R/C helicopters. They are MUCH harder to fly and the control feel is totally different. It would be like trying to ride a bike for the first time only having experience with a Segway.

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
I crashed my Dragonfly II RC helicopter for the last time - I must have had bad interference or something but at about 60' up it just veered sideways and practically rammed the sidewalk at full speed. A whole field of grass all around and it just made it to the concrete.

Anyway, I am looking to replace it and figure someone else on this forum probably has some good adice. Has to be a good hover in place copter though,, the dragonfly was kind of hellish to control even in light wind.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
... you have zero stick time on regular R/C helicopters...
I only have flown dragonfly II, never any other model so I guess I'm a big rookie, but all I really care about it ability to go up/down/hover in place, yaw, and go forward. I have seen and think I would prefer a more sophisticated control system.
I'm doing alot of research and will relearn how to fly if I need to but I want to get a top knotch model that is extremely maneuverable even if it takes me a year to learn to do what I want with it.

(oh and thank you for the advice)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

Probably less than what you are looking for, but the Air Hogs Havoc Heli (aka Silverlit PiccoZ) is a great indoor flier. It is only two channel, but it is still great fun to fly, and cheap to boot. I got mine for 25 earth bucks.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
BillPaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
Probably less than what you are looking for, but the Air Hogs Havoc Heli (aka Silverlit PiccoZ) is a great indoor flier. It is only two channel, but it is still great fun to fly, and cheap to boot. I got mine for 25 earth bucks.
Holy cow for that I'll pick one up one the way home for rainy days and still get a big one!
any thanks!!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

You won't regret it. I actually brought mine to work today and everyone loves it.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
BillPaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
You won't regret it. I actually brought mine to work today and everyone loves it.
My toys-r-us didn't have it in stock so I ordered online. Now I can't wait. What's the battery time on it? I think I may still get a gas one as well.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I'm an RC guy too, but stick to flying planes. Much cheaper to buy, and much cheaper if (and when) you crash them. A good 3d capable airplane with do most things a heli will. But the heli is harder to see, harder to learn, more expensive to buy, and more expensive to fix. Once your past the learning stage on a heli, you have to risk the heli a lot more than an airplane to get anywhere further, otherwise you get bored.

All of this refers to the serious rc models, and not the small cheap ones from toys r us, or similar.

Just my opinion..
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
BillPaxton

I've never flown an r/c plane before but I'm open to suggestions. I've seen some amazing stuff (in fact Antony [Madsegs] has r/c boat that he flew up the wall in his office and made it hover very easily) - what would you recommend as a starter plane? I have a giant field behind my house and a night long sidewalk & driveway for a landing strip. I can always have both!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I would check out your local hobby shops first. You'll want an entry level electric. They should have inexpensive 3 channel "trainers" around. Probably $100-$200 depending.

Learning how to fly is much easier if you have someone who can help, who knows how to fly already. But if you don't, it is quite possible without, just a bit harder. There may be local RC club's around your area. I would look into that as well. I think that the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) would have links to local clubs. Try here:

http://www.modelaircraft.org
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote