SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #21
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I travel with my Travelscoot having just under the max. lithium allowed. It's no Segway but extremely functional for airline travel.......and getting around in the airport terminals. Also, at under 30# lifts and fits easily in any vehicle or hotel shuttle.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #22
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
are they allowed on cargo planes?like fed ex?
Honestly, I don't know. The page I found about regulations only references passenger planes, but I'm pretty sure that whenever you ship Segway batteries, you have to use ground shipping, so I suspect that they are not allowed on cargo planes either.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #23
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

SegNerd is right, I was wrong in saying it was the Airlines, it is the FAA, which all US airlines and those doing business in the US follow.

I believe it is the same for all airlines in the US, including cargo. To ship cargo, I have and many others as well, ship via ground.

I have also heard that airlines doing business outside of the United States have different rules, however. I suspect that a flight within Europe would have different rules, as an example. But a plane from Europe that comes to the United States, or leaves from here to go back would have to follow FAA rules.

My information is dated, and may not be current. I have not heard of a change, but there may have been one... I would check with more knowledgeable people than me before making any major decisions on this topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #24
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
That will probably depend on the situation. In my limited experience, I just checked with the hotel about their shuttle service before I made the reservation. I'm guessing that most of them, at least those anywhere near the airport or a major area of a city will have a handicapped shuttle service. They should pick you up at the baggage area and deliver you to the hotel.

As, I said my experience in flying to a hotel or from hotel to the airport is limited...
Thank you. They must be able to accomodate wheel-chair bound people that way, its probably similar.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 AM   #25
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
I travel with my Travelscoot having just under the max. lithium allowed. It's no Segway but extremely functional for airline travel.......and getting around in the airport terminals. Also, at under 30# lifts and fits easily in any vehicle or hotel shuttle.
Thank you very much Rick, I was not aware of this product. For the limited amount of flying I would do, this may be more than enough to accomodate me.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I purchased a used Segway P-133 for travel. It has NiMH batteries that are airline friendly. I have been asked to remove the batteries to show the chemistry.

Good luck, have lots of fun

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #27
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Thank you very much Rick, I was not aware of this product. For the limited amount of flying I would do, this may be more than enough to accomodate me.
Your welcome. If you have any questions feel free to PM. I get positive comments and questions every time I take it out.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #28
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
Honestly, I don't know. The page I found about regulations only references passenger planes, but I'm pretty sure that whenever you ship Segway batteries, you have to use ground shipping, so I suspect that they are not allowed on cargo planes either.
Lithium Ion batteries like those used in Segways can be shipped by Air if properly declared and packaged by an IATA certified shipper. They are strictly forbidden upon passenger aircraft and may only be shipped CAO "Cargo Aircraft Only". This is quite expensive and requires a fair amount of paperwork/overhead to prepare/coordinate. Even when shipped by ground they still require a Hazmat declaration with them to properly declare the contents in the event of an emergency during transport.

I attached a photo of the IATA index of materials for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IATA_LITHIUM_ION.jpg (93.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by MTOBATTERY; 08-05-2014 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Added Attachment
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #29
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Saw this poster yesterday flying from HK to Taiwan

Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #30
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about