SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
Gliding Steel
Gliding Steel is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default What is cooler than a Segway?

Well, I kind of tend to jump right in a situation sometimes without introduction. I have made a few posts already. I appreciate the communications and help I have already received from forum members.
I bought a used i2 last November. Amazingly the batteries on this 2007 model were going 19 miles per charge until I smacked one of them on a folded down trail post. I got a great price from Segway of Ohio on a new set.
I have gone through the learning process on how to mount new tires working with motorcycle tire irons. I have a lot of practice patching pinched tire tubes.
I have fallen three times, once so hard I got road rash and took 3 weeks to heal up hip joint. My dog, then unfamiliar with the machine, darted in front of me and I ran her over. She was fine with no broken bones due to engineered safety of tires and pressure (amazing engineering). I was protected by elbow pads and wrist guards. I wish I had my bum pads then.
I have met many nice people, and several haters. There are people who are just upset that someone else has something so nice and get to ride places that they do not.
I am disabled by a surgical staple on my femoral groin nerve, making sitting, distance walking, and uphill walking painful. My balance was poor prior to surgery, from torn proprioreceptors in my ankles. My balance is now impossible with the pain medications I have to take. I have less pain these days with the Segway. The Segway makes balanced mobilization possible for me, I actually practice moves to stimulate my balancing as therapy on my Segway. I look kinda fancy doing it. I find sitting in hard upright chairs impossible. Mobilization while standing is ideal for me.
Curiously I can walk uphill backwards without pain. So for a great workout I drag my Segway uphill. One of my neighbors wondered why I bought the thing if it couldn't carry me uphill. My 11 year old dog now has the stamina of a young dog and delights in racing and defeating my Segway. Now I can go along with my wife's marathon training workouts. That has worked out great for both of us.
I run two sets of tires, Segway originals and snow/knobbed tires for off road use.
My Segway is decked in leather. The cargo rails and steering column are leather wrapped and custom hair on hide saddlebags mounted. I can sell a set if interested.
I take my ride to market. For heavy shopping I can take my car, loading up the Segway using the folding ramps. I only have to take off the top part of the steering column to make it fit in my trunk. I take shopping carts and tow them behind me using a shortened dog leash. Shopping is fun and fast. And you know that open cashier way down at the other end...??? I am usually the first person there with my cart now. Never could do that using the instore electric snail chairs.
I have never been stopped in a store on my Segway, but a policeman pulled me according to his bias against the disabled on the machine. Pleading your case standing six inches higher is a lot more powerful than pleading your case sitting down. I wear a Viking battle axe on my hip to give my presentation a little intimidation factor. There are haters and bad neighborhoods to deal with.
Now I know most all of my neighbors. Showing off my nimbleness on wheels, I blow off needy neighbor's lawns during the fall using a backpack blower. I pull everyone's trash and recycle containers back from the curb as a crime prevention measure. I also patrol at risk neighborhoods during the day. Most folks at a distance tend to think you are a cop on wheels. I tend to have a slowing effect on speeding cars and school buses.
This miracle machine's real miracle is its ability to change people's lives for the better.
Gliding Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Great post, I think we need to see some pictures of your leather wrapped beauty.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I like this post.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:32 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Welcome. I'm glad you haven't been stopped in stores. I still am, occasionally, but it has become easier to get them to back down.

(But I am no longer patient with them.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
stephen051
Account Suspended
stephen051 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default What is better than a Segway?

Leadway Australias Leadway RM09D is much better value than a Segway
at around half the price of a Segway X2 and a similar overall riding experience.

At $3995 to your door find yours by typing leadway australia into google and have it within 7 days.
stephen051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

That rubbish retail in China for RMB 3995, lol

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Hans Willems
Hans Willems is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliding Steel View Post
Well, I kind of tend to jump right in a situation sometimes without introduction. I have made a few posts already. I appreciate the communications and help I have already received from forum members.
I bought a used i2 last November. Amazingly the batteries on this 2007 model were going 19 miles per charge until I smacked one of them on a folded down trail post. I got a great price from Segway of Ohio on a new set.
I have gone through the learning process on how to mount new tires working with motorcycle tire irons. I have a lot of practice patching pinched tire tubes.
I have fallen three times, once so hard I got road rash and took 3 weeks to heal up hip joint. My dog, then unfamiliar with the machine, darted in front of me and I ran her over. She was fine with no broken bones due to engineered safety of tires and pressure (amazing engineering). I was protected by elbow pads and wrist guards. I wish I had my bum pads then.
I have met many nice people, and several haters. There are people who are just upset that someone else has something so nice and get to ride places that they do not.
I am disabled by a surgical staple on my femoral groin nerve, making sitting, distance walking, and uphill walking painful. My balance was poor prior to surgery, from torn proprioreceptors in my ankles. My balance is now impossible with the pain medications I have to take. I have less pain these days with the Segway. The Segway makes balanced mobilization possible for me, I actually practice moves to stimulate my balancing as therapy on my Segway. I look kinda fancy doing it. I find sitting in hard upright chairs impossible. Mobilization while standing is ideal for me.
Curiously I can walk uphill backwards without pain. So for a great workout I drag my Segway uphill. One of my neighbors wondered why I bought the thing if it couldn't carry me uphill. My 11 year old dog now has the stamina of a young dog and delights in racing and defeating my Segway. Now I can go along with my wife's marathon training workouts. That has worked out great for both of us.
I run two sets of tires, Segway originals and snow/knobbed tires for off road use.
My Segway is decked in leather. The cargo rails and steering column are leather wrapped and custom hair on hide saddlebags mounted. I can sell a set if interested.
I take my ride to market. For heavy shopping I can take my car, loading up the Segway using the folding ramps. I only have to take off the top part of the steering column to make it fit in my trunk. I take shopping carts and tow them behind me using a shortened dog leash. Shopping is fun and fast. And you know that open cashier way down at the other end...??? I am usually the first person there with my cart now. Never could do that using the instore electric snail chairs.
I have never been stopped in a store on my Segway, but a policeman pulled me according to his bias against the disabled on the machine. Pleading your case standing six inches higher is a lot more powerful than pleading your case sitting down. I wear a Viking battle axe on my hip to give my presentation a little intimidation factor. There are haters and bad neighborhoods to deal with.
Now I know most all of my neighbors. Showing off my nimbleness on wheels, I blow off needy neighbor's lawns during the fall using a backpack blower. I pull everyone's trash and recycle containers back from the curb as a crime prevention measure. I also patrol at risk neighborhoods during the day. Most folks at a distance tend to think you are a cop on wheels. I tend to have a slowing effect on speeding cars and school buses.
This miracle machine's real miracle is its ability to change people's lives for the better.
Very nice story, mine, in the Netherlands, is very simmiler, I read you use the ramps to get your Seg in the car, look how I solved this problem.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Oh thers more differences between our stories, I fell only once at night
Glide carefully,
Hans
Hans Willems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
What is cooler than a Segway?
If you ask the internet, the answer is "pretty much everything."

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
If you ask the internet, the answer is "pretty much everything."
I always thought this forum was on the internet. Here you will not get that response.

I do have to agree, however, that most generic searches or search engines will surely give a far less positive, and clearly less enlightened response.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Wonderful post, really enjoy it.

Had my first Segway i167 more then 10 years ago and that 167 is still serving my dad well.

I had tons of toys from show off amazing bikes to fast and furious cars for the past 10 years but nothing is cooler than a Segway, the presentation of Segway gives people a warm feeling and you receive a Segway smile back, it bring the rider closer to the people around you and Segway is always the ice breaker to start the conversation.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote