SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Arrow Doug Field Leaving Segway for Apple

Doug Field, the chief technology officer at Segway who heads their entire engineering team (and has since Day 1), is leaving Segway to work in product design at Apple.

Doug has been the driving force in making the Segway what it is today and will be sorely missed at the company. However, with every change comes good and bad. So while it's bad the rich history and experience of Doug is leaving, it's good in that perhaps the team will get a fresh perspective into possible engineering solutions for future versions of the Segway (or Segway-like applications).

And hey, what can be better than a gig at Apple? These days, in the design and engineering world, not much!!

We wish Doug all the luck in moving on!!

John

PS - For any reporters still writing this story, I do not work at Segway and haven't for 2 1/2 years! I was the Web manager from 2001-2006, but am no longer working there.

Last edited by JohnG; 07-08-2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Clarify my role
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

As my mom would have said, definitely a gentleman and a scholar. I wonder, will he move out to the west coast? I'll miss him at the helm at Segway, and I'm sure Linda Brennan will even moreso.
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default I am glad this news is finally public

He will be missed, but he is a young man and should continue to be in a creative position.

I am sure he will take with him, lots of his love for the Segway PT to his new job, and as we all know that Apple enthusiasts are often Segway enthusiasts too.

No doubt he will cross paths with the world of Segways again very soon.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Default Bittersweet

Doug has meant so much to the development and evolution of the Segway.

I wish him luck... and being a Mac-enthusiast as well, I am just as enthusiastic about him being head of product development at the fruit company.

He will certainly be missed at Segway, but will add to the innovation at Apple.

-Sal
Old 07-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Default Disappointing news.

It's definitely a loss for Segway, but a big gain for Apple. He's one of the coolest engineers I've met, and a heck of a nice guy.

Steve Jobs recruited John Sculley away from Pepsi by asking if he'd rather change the world or continue to push sugar water. I wonder if Doug's choice concerned continuing to make scooters.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Cube128
Cube128 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Exodus :(

It's nice to hear about how Segway sales really seem to be taking off, but bittersweet to hear about so many of the original staff at Inc departing just as Segway's promise seems on the verge of being fulfilled. I can only hope that whoever replaces Doug and the others who have left will be as meticulous and enthusiastic about the product as their predecessors.
Cube128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Disappointing? HA!

Extrapolate a bit and consider the possibilities of WHY he's going to Apple!

Segway PT development is essentially done; Segway, Inc is in admittedly dire need of marketing.

What about the possibility of Apple buying Segway, Inc. Doug Field is hired as the front man to set up his team.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
scotty1024
scotty1024 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrohol View Post
Doug has been the driving force in making the Segway what it is today and will be sorely missed at the company. However, with every change comes good and bad. So while it's bad the rich history and experience of Doug is leaving, it's good in that perhaps the team will get a fresh perspective into possible engineering solutions for future versions of the Segway (or Segway-like applications).
Time for a 2 hour rapid charger!

Maybe its been good it's been keeping me down after my 16 mile Costco runs but my heart is getting stronger and I want my steed to be able to keep up.

I also wouldn't mind if part of its safety checks were tire pressure sensors.

I'd also like a cigarette lighter so I can power up horns/lights/GPS/safety equipment in general.

I'd also appreciate it if it could talk. Not only would it be more friendly, but it would be more friendly to others: Wow! It talks! Kathleen Turner, Meg Ryan a woman's voice that women like as well. Extra credit if security mode would yell "I'm not that kind of transportation device, I don't go off with strangers!"

An option for a built in GPS would be nice, especially one with the 100m blue tooth so you could link to it from your Mac to upload/download routes.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
NotQuiteCode3
NotQuiteCode3 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Then how much would one cost?
NotQuiteCode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
scotty1024
scotty1024 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Haven't you heard: talk is cheap!

Talk is cheap, unless of course you actually hire Kathleen Turner or Meg Ryan and they aren't already fanatical Segway owners. The current i2 might even be capable of speech. It has some sort of annunciator in there to allow it to beep.

I once rigged a portable device with speech using the piezo beeper to tell the top sales dude "Scotty told you this feature wouldn't work." Of course he got the last laugh because after that I had to add all kinds of voice to the device as customers fell in love with it.

The rapid charger would be an accessory. I'd design it to plug into the same AC port. Cost to the base Segway would be less than $1.

GPS: dealer option. Ditto, if you want it, you pay for it.

Cigarette lighter. You got me there, that might add $10 or $15. Especially if it actually came with a lighter.

Not having to carry a battery pack for the head light and Macarena air horn: priceless.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote