SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #11
sombody
sombody will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

World class Marathoners can average 4:45 per mile- it would make an interesting race.

Rick
sombody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sombody

World class Marathoners can average 4:45 per mile- it would make an interesting race.

Rick
Yes. To say it goes "running speed" doesn't say that no one can run faster. But at 12.5mph = 4.8 minute mile, "running speed" is a reasonable frame of reference people can relate to.
GyroGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #13
driley
driley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I tell people "about 12 miles an hour".

Devin
driley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by driley

I tell people "about 12 miles an hour".

Devin
I hate to belabor a simple point, but the point is an important one, IMHO.

It can be said that the "value proposition" of a Segway is that it is an "electric pedestrian", or electriped. It distinguishes itself most from other devices in its ability to coexist with pedestrians.

I would define "electriped" characteristics as:
  • Small device footprint in both dimensions.
  • Rider head height at level of pedestrian for visibility, interaction and conversation.
  • Device is stable with rider at low speed or while standing still.
  • Small or zero turning radius for maximum mobility in crowded or tight spaces.
  • Safe operation in crowded pedestrian environments.
  • Quiet operation.
  • Non-polluting - may be used indoors.
As an electriped, "running speed" IS a useful comparison. I'm not against saying it goes up to 12.5mph, but I would add that that translates to "about running speed". To say it goes "slower than a bicycle" or "slower than a fast sprinter" does NOT do it justice.

Gary
Old 03-24-2006, 11:09 PM   #15
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

<center>The problem with using a term like running is " Speed is relative, it really depends upon your perspective" </center>
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 PM   #16
GyroGo

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by QuadSquad

<center>The problem with using a term like running is " Speed is relative, it really depends upon your perspective" </center>
well, personally (unlike cmonkey), I don't mind stating the 12.5"mph", but I do think "running speed" is a good comparison to add as even though it can vary, relative to other comparisons (bikes, motor vehicles, walking, etc.) I think "running speed" does give you a rough perspective. I think when you say to people "running speed", they realize people can run at various speeds, but I do think it gives them the idea how fast it goes.

As Segway tries to coexist on sidewalks as an EPAMD with pedestrians, it shouldn't scare anyone to know that it goes only as fast as a pedestrian can choose to go on his own power.

Gary
Old 03-25-2006, 02:02 AM   #17
sombody
sombody will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I like the idea of RUNNING SPEED - jogging speed would technicly be less than 8min per mile
sombody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:24 AM   #18
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Running speed, jogging speed, it depends whether the question is "How fast CAN it go?", or "how fast does it end up going?" After all, some sidewalks are lumpier than others...
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #19
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Instead of elecri ped, how about Galvanic Pedestrian? It conjours up images of frogs legs twitching about....

Regards Isidore
Isidore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #20
GyroGo

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Isidore

Instead of elecri ped, how about Galvanic Pedestrian? It conjours up images of frogs legs twitching about....

Regards Isidore
Been through this before and the subject of other discussions. The serious question is: What is the generic (non-brand name) term for a Seg? "Electriped", IMHO, while not perfect, seems best of the alternatives I've heard. (besides, I wouldn't know how to convert 12.5mph to frog hops )

Gary