SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Four minute mile? sharing a thought on speed

I have recently tried a little experiment in psychology.

For the last few weeks, when people ask me how fast the seg goes, I tell them either 3-4 times walking speed, or that I can cover a mile in about 5 or 6 minutes.

I've noticed when you refer to the segway speed in 'miles per hour' folks seem more prone to associate that term with the only thing in their minds that they can reference, namely a car or motorcycle. I'm sure, that subconsciously, the brain makes the association of:

milesperhourcarmotorcyclesidewalkbaddangerous....

the other association that also may occur is:

milesperhourcarmotorcyclesegwayslowwhydontyoudrive ?...

By referring to the Segway more in relation to human capabilities, I seem to get more positive responses.

When I tell people they could probably run faster than the seg, they don't seem as intimidated by the technology.

I can now make the comparison to the recently completed LA Marathon.
I let people know that I can cover a mile 6 seconds faster than the winner, but he'd beat me because I'd run out of juice a few miles shy of the finish line!

When people compare that data to their own speed capabilities they are more impressed with the endurance capabilities of the Segway, and can more readily understand and accept why I ride one as opposed to walking or driving.

So no more references to MPH for me.

Just a little food for thought.

David S

I love my magic carpet!
Yahoo Group - SEGOC
cmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I use the same analogy when asked 'how fast?' Either 'about as fast as a world championship Marathon runner' or 'about the speed of a languid cyclist'. 12.5 mph or 20 kph doesn't mean much to most people, probably better if they want numbers to say 5.5 metres/sec or 18 feet/sec- about the length of a small American Car or a couple of feet more than two Smart cars...
Isidore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

excellent point
GyroGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

it goes "running speed".
GyroGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Isidore

I use the same analogy when asked 'how fast?' Either 'about as fast as a world championship Marathon runner' or 'about the speed of a languid cyclist'. 12.5 mph or 20 kph doesn't mean much to most people, probably better if they want numbers to say 5.5 metres/sec or 18 feet/sec- about the length of a small American Car or a couple of feet more than two Smart cars...
Languid?
1. Lacking energy or vitality; weak.
2. Showing little or no spirit or animation; listless.
3. Lacking vigor or force; slow.

Note that your 12mph languid cyclist is burning the same calories per minute as a pedestrian traveling at a typical 3 mph pace. I wouldn't call the pedestrian lanquid but moving at a comfortable speed that is sustainable for lengthy periods without getting sweaty. Same for the 12mph cyclist. It's what is called a 'conversational pace' i.e. going as fast as you can while being able to carry on a normal conversation with your traveling companions.

Besides, does any one use 'languid' in day-to-day conversation on either side of the pond? It's nebulus obfuscation.

JohnM
Anything worth doing for 2 hours is 10 times more worthwhile if done for 20 hours.
RUSA #235
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GyroGo

it goes "running speed".
But slow running at that!!! We clocked a 325 pound NFL defensive lineman at 17 mph in a 40 yard dash and the fastest human can reach a speed in excess of 27 mph.....
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Lately, if the speed topic comes up, I find myself saying "as fast as you can jog, but slower than you can run" to those that appear to be in fit condition.

To those that don't appear to be so fit, I say "a bit faster than walking speed". We don't want to scare off all the unHTed pedestrians now do we?

Only if pressed do I indicate the top speed, usually after explaining the color key system.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
pegg696
pegg696 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

All of you smart people turn me on.... Say some more please? PLEEAASSSEEE??????

Dave from Metro Detroit.
pegg696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

boy, some people do seem to want to justify themselves...

I answer the question as accuratly as I can, but it depends on who you are talking to, as to how detailed or number specific you offer.

I did notice several versions of saying the same thing in this thread, and some were quite inventive...

One of my best to date, in addition to many of those above was this," Watch me, I can go this fast!" and I glode away...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #10
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pegg696

All of you smart people turn me on.... Say some more please? PLEEAASSSEEE??????

Dave from Metro Detroit.
As a new member of Segwaychat, you may not have seen some of these old threads yet:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2722
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8618
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5345
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6785
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8618
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote