SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Segway Friendly Locales (incl. establishments and geographies) Database

EDIT: PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING SITE FROM NOW ON: Florin was gracious enough to set up a professional wiki!

http://www.florin-webdesign.nl/segwaywiki

All that is stated below is no longer valid. Thanks

First off, I'm not a professional and it shows... but I thought I'd take the initiative to set up a user editable (public) wiki/database of sorts where we can all add information about our parts of the US/World.

http://www.protopage.com/segfriendly

PLEASE READ THE RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS THOROUGHLY... It's easy, but take your time and keep the look and consistency going.

This uses protopage.

(Safari is not supported as of yet)

-Sal

P.S. If you have improvements which won't ruin the integrety of the information and usability have at it. I started it, but now it's in your hands. I thought it would be useful

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Sal
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if there's a way to keep this topic on top so it won't get buried when new posts arrive.

I think it would be a great help to many who called for an input device such as this to catalog Segway Friendly places.

-Sal

Pam, Frank, anyone?

Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

I can make it sticky.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Sal

Thanks Pam, of course, if people think the database is a waste, then by all means remove the "glue" from this post! LOL

-Sal

Old 01-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

Hi Sal,

I took a look at the wiki, but I'm lost. It says to look at Indiana as an example, but when I click on indiana nothing happens, even after I logged on I still can't click on indiana.

I'm using internet explorer, I assume that your wiki supports IE.

Personally I find the current layout a bit chaotic, everywhere you have little windows, it's confusing for me where to start navigating.

Personally I have good experiences with MediaWiki (http://www.mediawiki.org) as a user, that one is quit user friendly and self explaining.

Kind regards,

Florin
The Gliding Dutchman

florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
Sal

Check the contents. The outline of how the page is set up is quite clear. Indiana is not a link, but states to go to page 6, like in a book.

-Sal

All the GNU software packages are Greek to me. :-(

Old 01-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Sal,

UAE posted, will be adding Egypt later this month as well as Morocco.

I also made some cosmetic changes to the page....in an effort to make it more readable. If you don't like tell me and I'll go back and change it back.

Steven

--- EAMUS CATULI! ---

No person is truly useless. They may always serve as a bad example!
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

OK, now it makes sense. Isn't it possible to make the names clickable.

I also noticed that you cleaned things a bit up, it looks better now.

I think I can get MediaWiki up and running on my website, if you want I can give it a try. Just take a look at WikiPedia and see if you like the way it works. If you like it, then let me know and I will give it a try to get it up-and-running on my website. If it's OK for Frank/Pam I can even give it a try to give it the same look as the current SC website has. Then it can become a part of this website.

Personally I would like to see the wiki broader, not just seg-friendly info, but also summaries/conclusions of things which has been discussed at this website, like for example a segway key making tutorial for people who are new to key making.

Kind regards,

Florin
The Gliding Dutchman

florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

DCSEG is building its website these days, and this is the perfect kind of content for SEG sites.

Where is it encouraged to glide. As an avid glider, I would rather give my money to a business that supports me, than one that shuns me.

Good work Sal!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
SEG America
The Premier Gliding Organization!
http://www.SEGAmerica.org
Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Sal

Steve:

Thanks, it looks great!!! Thanks for putting the effort in to improve it, yes, now it's a lot more readable.

That was the first time I had used Protopage, so it was a hoot to work on something new for about an hour. LOL

Florin:

If I had a PC, and knew anything about the back-end wiki apps, I'd be head first onto the wiki style of information management. I prefer wikipedia over protopage any day because it's established (whereas AJAX;protopage is new), and because editing on wikis is much more back end web, rather than using JAVA/AJAX which depend on browser connections, etc.

So if there's a way for you to get the already posted information fro the current segfriendly site onto a wiki style database up and running on your site, and when that's done, tell me and I'll put a referrer link on to the ptotopage site, so people can remember a simple web address, I'm all for it!

I love this community!

-Sal