SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Silver Fox
Silver Fox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default HELP is it clockwise or counter clockwise?

I have been trying to remove the tires on my X2 and all 4 of the Allan bolts are very tight. If I apply any more force I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Silver Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Righty tighty

Lefty lucy
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It's a reasonable question, though -- I HAVE encountered reverse threads on some devices, for symmetry and tightening, rather than loosening, under load.

It's not common, and I don't know of ANY current use, as there are other ways to solve the problem, and the confusion it causes can be major!

But having had encounters with reverse threads, it is always something I ask myself when I encounter a fastener that won't turn...maybe the other way?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Silver Fox

5 yr Member

Thanks, Will and Bob for your fast repies.

Still no luck, I've applied so much force counter clockwise that I though the bolts would snap. I'm thinking of freezing one of them with a can of dust off and trying again.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
scoob5o
scoob5o is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

is there air still in your tires i believe that the allen bolts hold the two halfs of the split rim together and the 12mm hexhead bolts are for removing the wheels from the trans.. i have a set of i 2 wheels and tires that i swap out for riding in the mall and i just remove the 12mm bolts the guy at my dealership said for changing the tire from the wheels that it is a split rim design like an old truck tire deflate the tire undo the allen bolts and split the two halfs apart pop them into the new tire and rebolt and inflate
scoob5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Thanks, Will and Bob for your fast repies.

Still no luck, I've applied so much force counter clockwise that I though the bolts would snap. I'm thinking of freezing one of them with a can of dust off and trying again.

I am not familiar with the bolts you are speaking of, as I did not know that allen bolts hold on the wheels, but I would use a penetrating oil, like WD40 or Liquid Wrench before the propellant in a can of compressed air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
Silver Fox

5 yr Member

IMG00312.jpg These are the bolts that won't budge
Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
scoob5o
scoob5o is on a distinguished road

are you using a regular "L" key allen wrench if so its not long enough to get the torque to break them free. The best thing would be a socket on a long handle ratchet and of course make sure all the air is deflated by removing the shrader core from the valve stem.
scoob5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

these are not split rims you don't need to worry about that. You will have MUCH better luck if you put the wheel back on the segway and hold the wheel with your legs. They may have been installed with RED loctite which requires heat to loosen.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob5o View Post
The best thing would be a socket on a long handle ratchet and of course make sure all the air is deflated by removing the shrader core from the valve stem.
Remove the air from the tire?

Huh?
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote