SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have a good Garmin Nuvi, which admittedly is a few years old, but if you watch it, I sometimes get speed read-outs while parked in the car.

I was under the impression that there is a lot of math, and averaging involved in speed readouts from GPS. Speed readouts from a speedometer are based on wheel revolutions, each one meaning a certain distance traveled. GPS does it the other way around, and figures the straight line distance between point a and point b, then the time it took to get from a to b, then does the math that way to determine speed.

Both have their flaws, but the wheel revolution count method is more accurate for segways...

Of course, wheel size changes will throw a revolution counter off as a different distance will be traveled per rotation, so if you play with the transmission or wheel size a lot, then the GPS will gain in relative accuracy...
A lot of math, yes. I have here my wife's copy of:
Linear Algebra, Geodesy, and GPS by Gilbert Strang and Kai Borre.

A lot of interesting radio tricks, too. I'm not sure which techniques are in wide current use, but Software-Defined Radio has certainly been one interesting technique.

I'm not knocking GPS, which I think is a way-cool technology, and results you get are interesting. Just recognize they're not definitive, and don't forget to qualify them by how you made them -- GPS, wheel rotations, radar, lidar, average of 10 trials in each direction of a 100 m level course timed with an optical tripwire at axle height, whatever.

The last is what I'd take as the gold standard.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
DFDureiko
DFDureiko is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
But since your machine is an I-167, there could have been some other issues with it due to its age. like moisture. And the CSB where the charger is is something that does have issues especially with moisture.
first what's the CSB.
and it has been under cover and has never been out in the rain.......
checked the control colum shaft connections, dry as a bone and looked new
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #13
rook2218joe
rook2218joe is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Bob, my GPS readings

I agree that GPS readings may measure over or under.

The GPS I used was also a Garmin that I have in my wife's Mercury van with a digital dash. Up to 30 mph the van's digital dash actually shows by tenth's of a MPH. The Garmin and digital dash are right on the money.

Segway electrical interferance, maybe? But when riding this particular 170 with groups of other gliders there is nothing that can keep up with it! I'm not a speed freak and since I always glide with my wife or a companion I just match their speed. But when I lean into it, nobody else can keep up.

The real question is not what speed, but why is it that one machine seems to run faster than another? Yes, I can make a list of possible factors, but it is what it is. Standard tires at recommended 15 psi, I weigh 235 plus carry a handlebar bag full of locks and junk...probably another 15 lbs. It just goes faster than any of the other riders.

I've ridden past a couple of the radar speed warning devices that are placed near most schools here in St. Pete, but I haven't been able to "trigger" the radar. On the other hand, when riding in my wife's villager the radar says the van is going as fast as the digital dash does.
rook2218joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
pspearing
pspearing is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default cold weather problems

I've had a similar (but less severe) problem with my i2. When it's below 30 degrees or so outside it will often go into a safety shutdown. Swapping batteries (front to back) improved matters. It will als max out at about 7 or 8 mph, and sometimes seems to have a hard time figuring out which way is up.
The machine sits in my living room or in my office when I'm not using it, so the i2 isn't particularly cold to start with. When the temp is above about 40 degrees everything is fine. Any thoughts?
pspearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Contact your dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspearing View Post
I've had a similar (but less severe) problem with my i2. When it's below 30 degrees or so outside it will often go into a safety shutdown. Swapping batteries (front to back) improved matters. It will als max out at about 7 or 8 mph, and sometimes seems to have a hard time figuring out which way is up.
The machine sits in my living room or in my office when I'm not using it, so the i2 isn't particularly cold to start with. When the temp is above about 40 degrees everything is fine. Any thoughts?
This is a well know issue with the early gen twos.

The radio board gets cold and does not recieve signals from the infokey. Talk to your dealer about getting it repaired. Inc. is doing it if the machine goes in for other repairs. And some dealers are now able to do it at their shops. I believe that Segway of Ohio was just certified for this work. About 10 dealerships were certified last September at a training class in NH.

WWH
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote