SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #31
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I guess I need to let sleeping dogs lie at this point - We're on opposite sides of this fence . . . . but I know *I* wouldn't be changing the oil unless I truly believed it needed it. Why go to all that time, trouble and expense? - The gears/bearings are not as quiet as they used to be and the purpose of the oil change is to quiet them down and hopefully extend their life. I suspect that was the mindset of all here who are/were considering doing the same. The exact opposite of egocentric . . . . a maintenance action to extend the life and prevent a premature failure of something you love - Not thinking about yourself, but about the health of your machine

Preventative maintenance so I don't want to have to fork out my hard earned money to buy new gearboxes - Maybe THAT *is* egocentric . . . . but I still wouldn't call anyone that

Don

Don, we can agree to disagree here.

I might add, I recall no one saying in this entire thread that they ever had to replace a worn gear box on their segway. The OP did indicate that his obsession with clean oil was considered a disease by his mother in law, but no one said they ever replaced a worn gear box. Also, YOU said he was doing it because of a noise. The OP never said that.

Perhaps this just one more thing I am wrong about...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 01-02-2017 at 04:42 PM..
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:31 AM   #32
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

I'm pretty sure that the Segway gearboxes will outlast the rest of the machine (as well as me.) I'm still on the fence about changing the oil on my 2010. Again, it would only be to try a heavier oil to see if it quiets down at all.

Before resorting to that, I decided to try to quiet the fenders. To me, it seemed that they might be the main culprit for the resonating gear noise. I took an extra set of fenders to a shop that does bedliner and coatings. I had them spray the fenders with a thick layer of the softer version of bedliner (low-pressure). They are certainly heavier and are acoustically dead when you tap on them. I thought I had the noise issue figured out. Well, it didn't seem to make much difference at all. Still a noisy Seg (and $80 down the drain.)

So, I guess the noise will remain unless I decide to try heavier gear oil. I'll probably just leave it as is instead of continuing to spend time and resources experimenting. I'll let someone else try heavier oil. I tried coating on the fenders, and it showed no improvement.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #33
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

That was pretty drastic experiment Seth! - $80 for enough bedliner to cover two Seg fenders?? You can buy a spray can of that stuff for $10 or so you know

I bought 5 cans of it and did the interior of a 9' boat - Came out great, but the outboard was still as noisy as ever

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #34
felix_fetche
felix_fetche is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Mates, if you do not have the how to fix the output shaft, replace the gear box.
Another type, or new oil does not fix it.

Check my posts, you'll find one where I describe the way to fix the shaft, pictures attached there.

Cheers mates!
felix_fetche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #35
felix_fetche
felix_fetche is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthr...ad.php?t=33755

Shaft is not "hardened", instead of "tepereed".
felix_fetche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #36
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_fetche View Post
http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthr...ad.php?t=33755

Shaft is not "hardened", instead of "tepereed".
Do you mean tempered? Are you sure it wasn't case-hardened? That would seem to be the best process for treating axle shafts, right? A nice, hard candy shell will a tough nougat center. Also, what model year was that gearbox from again? How many miles were on it? What material did you use for the cap, and what is the hardness rating of the material?

I'll revisit the gearbox from the 2006 i2 that I have open. A quick "file test" will tell if there is any hardening to the shaft at all. The new axle design (implemented some time in 2007) may have solved both of those problems. I haven't been into the gearboxes of my newer machines ('08 and '10), so I don't know if the updated axle design included any sort of axle treatment. I've got the lathe on which I could do the work, but I'd rather not if it will simply be a fools errand. Did the axle mod/repair make the machine quiet again?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #37
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
That was pretty drastic experiment Seth! - $80 for enough bedliner to cover two Seg fenders?? You can buy a spray can of that stuff for $10 or so you know

I bought 5 cans of it and did the interior of a 9' boat - Came out great, but the outboard was still as noisy as ever

Don
Indeed, it was a bit costly. It's mainly due to the additional prep that plastics need for adhering the coating. Extra labor time. They put the coating on MUCH thicker than what can be achieved with any of the DIY kits. In hindsight, it was a waste of money. I'm just hoping anyone else out there who gets the same idea will read this and won't expect any significant noise reduction. It was worth a try. I hope I don't have to resort to machining the axles!