SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
DaiPlusPlus
DaiPlusPlus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking I fell off my i2-SE today :(

My brand new replacement i2-SE from SK Northwest has been working great for the past 2 weeks I've had it

...except today I decided to take a short-cut to a friend's place and drove through a grass-covered fire-lane (something like this: http://www.soilretention.com/_admin/...e_lane_opt.jpg except more dried mud). The fire-lane I drove through used concrete studs for soil-retention and they were sticking out a bit, I don't know what happened but I suddenly fell off the Segway (I was going at about 15-18kph I reckon) and landed on my side. No damage done to myself, but my Info-key fell off the Segway and the power-button lost its "click" (but otherwise still functions), but of more concern: the lean-steer frame now leans to the right somewhat at idle/off, and to move in a straight-line I need to lean the frame to the right as well.

I'm assuming this just an alignment issue. I was thrown-off rather violently. Is this a common thing? I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to my PT. How can I correct it? The instructions on Segway's site are for the i2 which has a different lean-steer frame attachment.
DaiPlusPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiPlusPlus View Post
My brand new replacement i2-SE from SK Northwest has been working great for the past 2 weeks I've had it

...except today I decided to take a short-cut to a friend's place and drove through a grass-covered fire-lane (something like this: http://www.soilretention.com/_admin/...e_lane_opt.jpg except more dried mud). The fire-lane I drove through used concrete studs for soil-retention and they were sticking out a bit, I don't know what happened but I suddenly fell off the Segway (I was going at about 15-18kph I reckon) and landed on my side. No damage done to myself, but my Info-key fell off the Segway and the power-button lost its "click" (but otherwise still functions), but of more concern: the lean-steer frame now leans to the right somewhat at idle/off, and to move in a straight-line I need to lean the frame to the right as well.

I'm assuming this just an alignment issue. I was thrown-off rather violently. Is this a common thing? I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to my PT. How can I correct it? The instructions on Segway's site are for the i2 which has a different lean-steer frame attachment.
Sorry about the fall...

Im sure the lean steer is identical, just looks different....Take it off inspect it see if there are any burrs or maybe a dent and make sure its not catching anywhere around the collar.

There built tuff...I think the first time I got thrown I had no clue what happened...lol....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
... I don't know what happened but I suddenly fell off the Segway .....
That's not helpful for your future safety. I encourage you to try to recall.

You can and should trust the Segway to do what's reasonable with the conditions of the surface and operation.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

When you take a spill off a Segway there is usually three possible reasons:

1. You did something stupid. ( please, I don't mean that unkindly, but that is the best word.) something like ignoring a safety warning, not paying attention, going too fast for the conditions, not knowing where your wheels are, etc.

2. Someone else does something stupid. Watch out for the other guy!

3. Something unforeseen happens. Although this can often happen because of the first reason, these things do happen. Experience will make you more aware of possible hazards or situations to avoid. Using a Segway is much like driving a car. Although much of it soon becomes almost automatic, you still have to pay attention to what you are doing, as well as how and when and where...

A spill is always an invitation to learn more about using it. Glad you were not hurt!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
...except today I decided to take a short-cut to a friend's place and drove through a grass-covered fire-lane (something like this: http://www.soilretention.com/_admin/...e_lane_opt.jpg except more dried mud). The fire-lane I drove through used concrete studs for soil-retention and they were sticking out a bit, ...... (I was going at about 15-18kph I reckon) .
Had you previously used this route through the fire-lane, before you went through there at 9-11 mph?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
I drove through used concrete studs for soil-retention and they were sticking out a bit
My guess is that you smacked the front battery with one of the studs. I have done this with a rock. The segway stopped and I kept going. I got some road rash but the Segway worked fine.

I don't know how to realign an SE's leanstear but it should be pretty easy

Glad you are OK

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
My guess is that you smacked the front battery with one of the studs. I have done this with a rock. The segway stopped and I kept going. I got some road rash but the Segway worked fine.
That would be a good guess, but he hasn't given any details at all. Nothing about what the Segway did (like "stopped"). Just " I suddenly fell off the Segway"

If the cause was as you guess, then there would probably be a bit of scratching on the front battery's case.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The OP gives no detail, nor any frame of reference.

From this, everyone fills in the story as they want. Anything at all may have happened. He may have not seen a hidden obstacle, he may not have seen an obvious obstacle, he may have hit a tire on the side of a curb, he may have been plucked off his segway and dropped by aliens for all we know.

The picture he presented is one of a concrete patchwork designed to have grass grow thru it, for soil retention. If he fell on this, he would have sustained more damage to his person, so there are inconsistencies in his story.

Considering some of his previous presentations here, he is not too likely to fill us in with the details to the degree some of us like to see. This is not a problem, each of us offer contributions to this site as we see fit. It is just that some of us present more details than others.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Sounds like your leanstear wasn't fastened as tightly as it should be. After you realign it, make sure to lean it to both extremes to make sure it doesn't slip. (It may make a snapping noise as the wedge clamps position themselves. Check it again if it does.)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Im sure the lean steer is identical, just looks different......
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
Sounds like your leanstear wasn't fastened as tightly as it should be. After you realign it, make sure to lean it to both extremes to make sure it doesn't slip. (It may make a snapping noise as the wedge clamps position themselves. Check it again if it does.)
Folks, this is an SE model. If you haven't personally worked on one (and I have not), then it's not helpful to give advice based on assumptions.

Of course, you could look at the User Manual on the Segway site. From looking at that, I don't think that the problem description - "the lean-steer frame now leans to the right somewhat at idle/off," - is a simple matter.

DaiPlusPlus -- didn't your SE come with a User Manual? If not, you can download one here:

http://www.segway.com/segway-resourc..._UM_EN_USB.pdf