SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #42
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Here's something to think about on the future of Segway.

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...hance-in-china

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #43
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
I was shocked it only sold for $80 mil....
The announcement didn't say that. It said that the buyer raised $80 million in venture capital but it did not say what the purchase price was. It could have been much more. The Reuters report more explicitly said that several companies "invested $80 million into Ninebot to help finance the acquisition."

To me, the more shocking revelation was that Ninebot started as a crowdfunded project just two years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #44
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetic View Post
By the way, I was viewing Segway videos on YouTube and bumped into this from NineBot.

Nice CGI logo on the building, hahah.

EDIT: Also looks like the ninebots are driven by an ARM processor of some kind. You can see them using jflash in the video.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man

Last edited by Gihgehls; 04-20-2015 at 01:37 PM..
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #45
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
By the way, I was viewing Segway videos on YouTube and bumped into this from NineBot.
Interesting caption/title on the video.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #46
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
This is the reason why I have placed an order for an i2 SE before something changes. No idea what will be changed though yet.

As for the $80m, I wonder as well. But it also reflects that Segway was struggling(?) to get their products in a flying market mood?

Every glider in this forum has mentioned that Segway could have done something better, but perhaps their BOD knows more things than we do... or not.
Why would you buy an old companies product right after they went under new ownership in a different country?
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #47
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Why would you buy an old companies product right after they went under new ownership in a different country?
Well maybe at some point will be the 57 Chevy?????? Im sure it will take a lot of time for the American market to be impacted......
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:24 AM   #48
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Interesting caption/title on the video.
Yes, it is very funny actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I was planning to get a second Segway anyway. I prefer to get one right now, before anything changes. Lower prices can be achieved if the production line goes to China. If the price go down in the future, then I will have to blame myself for purchasing a Segway at the current price.

But going through your question again, why not buying one now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Well maybe at some point will be the 57 Chevy?????? Im sure it will take a lot of time for the American market to be impacted......
I would find it hard to imagine a Segway classic, but it is possible. Another poster mentioned that we may see an increase in value for any used Segway. Who knows.
and

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:15 AM   #49
Jendrik
Jendrik is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

As I watched the video and read : ""Persuing the ideo of a high-quality life".
I thought : "...with a low quality product....the Ninebot".

I did ride the Ninebot and I can tell you : piece of junk.
Why : riding fells very unkomfortable, turning feels unsafe, cheap plastic everywhere. The guide told me not to ride too fast otherwise it will fall over to the front and my dentist will have work to do.

The video also gives the impression of people at Ninebot researching things. Instead they are just copying/stealing from Segway. In China "copying" is cool but not in the US or in any other country.

The acquisition of Segway was only because of the patents and to get the intellectual property issues settled.

I hope Ninebot will stay for their word that they want the brand "made in the U.S." and that they do not modify the quality of the Original Segway product.
Jendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:23 AM   #50
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jendrik View Post
As I watched the video and read : ""Persuing the ideo of a high-quality life".
I thought : "...with a low quality product....the Ninebot".

I did ride the Ninebot and I can tell you : piece of junk.
Why : riding fells very unkomfortable, turning feels unsafe, cheap plastic everywhere. The guide told me not to ride too fast otherwise it will fall over to the front and my dentist will have work to do.

The video also gives the impression of people at Ninebot researching things. Instead they are just copying/stealing from Segway. In China "copying" is cool but not in the US or in any other country.

The acquisition of Segway was only because of the patents and to get the intellectual property issues settled.

I hope Ninebot will stay for their word that they want the brand "made in the U.S." and that they do not modify the quality of the Original Segway product.

Just a quick addition here relating to "I can tell you : piece of junk." I went to a Segway dealer two weeks ago, and we took apart my segway and at the same time, the tech was nice enough to show me basically all of the internals of the segway, I had never seen it before. Inside the gearboxes, inside the battery, etc, most things that could come apart he had on the workbenches and showed me them. We assembled my new SE right out of the box. I was very very impressed by the quality of the segway; I had expected far more plastic. I remarked to some of my co-workers that both my ATV and car have far more plastic and cheap manufacturing than the segway. I have a greater understanding of the cost of the segway consequently.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote