SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
annibal77
First Timer
annibal77 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Buying a used segway: Known issue or scam?

Hi all,
i'm going to buy a "used" (less than 10 miles) i2 SE and i have some concerns.
The dealer (not an authorized one) told me the segway has a problem with the infokey that sometimes fails to connect to the station if it's not quite close to it, therefore he placed the infokey down on the handlebars....
He claim this is a general problem of the new (3rd generation) segways and that segway is aware of that and will soon call back for a patch.
I've tried the i2 it works fine but after 5 minutes the infokey shut down, even if he i2 is still up and running, but in this way i cannot read information on the infokey...especially possible alerts!
Moreover, when i tried the "Training Safety Shutdown", the infokey displayed correctly the alert but no sounds/rumors from the station... It seems something is not working...
Finally i tried to enter into the user configuration mode to set the speeds limit but it didn't work! I pressed fora couple of seconds (and maybe more..) th info button while displaying the odometer but the infokey didn't enter the configuration (i checked that the beginner mode was unlocked)
Now i'm wondering why all these problems with just less than 10 miles...
Is it possible that the dealer locked the infokey to avoid entering the user configuration(to set speed limits and shutdown timeout)? I've read somewhere on the internet it is possible..
Could this involve other problems like the ones i mentioned above?
Thank you all!
annibal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
rene_canlas
rene_canlas is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Shouldnt there be two infokeys? Have you tried the other one?
Rides: Gray i167 (2003), Black i2 (2009)
rene_canlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Bal77,

I hope you work all this out. I am always nervous buying something that new, especially from a less than perfect source.

Why would anyone have a new segway for sale with less than 10 miles? Was it a problem from the start? Anything can be broken, and if it was new, then the warranty would require it be replaced. But, what to do with the broken new one?

I do not know that much about the SE models, or their problems, so I cannot help you on that point, but from what you wrote, it seems you bought someone else's headache, and now it is your headache.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

There is a known problem with old I2's with the radio board not communicating with the Infokey, but that is an old problem. I have not heard of something similar for new machines.

Since this is a "dealer", why don't you just get him to fix the problems before you buy the machine?
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibal77 View Post
Hi all,
i'm going to buy a "used" (less than 10 miles) i2 SE and i have some concerns.
The dealer (not an authorized one) ....
I would be sure to verify how a non-authorized dealer obtained a new SE.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote