SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Question Gen 2 tire on Gen 1 wheel

Hi

I'm trying to extend the life of my Gen 1 machine as long as possible.

Is it possible to put a Gen 2 tire/tube on a Gen 1 wheel?

I tried searching the forum, lots of hits, but not on target!

Cheers
Ronny
Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzul View Post
Hi

I'm trying to extend the life of my Gen 1 machine as long as possible.

Is it possible to put a Gen 2 tire/tube on a Gen 1 wheel?

I tried searching the forum, lots of hits, but not on target!

Cheers
Ronny
I have done this, but there is a problem. The gen one rims and tires were tubeless. The gen two tires are not. (I believe)

I used to add tubes to my gen one tires, because I found that the tubes held air better than the tubeless, and that was all I needed as an excuse.

Problem is, the air stem location for the gen 1 tires is not very supportive of a tube air stem.

I have forced the stem from the tube into a gen one air stem hole, but it stretches out the tube and may cause a fault, although I did not experience that.

I have also drilled a hole in a tube friendly place on a gen one wheel (farther away from the rim) and had good luck with that as well. (If you do this, you should either leave the original air filler and not use it, or plug that hole to support the tube inside.

Lastly, you can simply mount the gen 2 tires on the gen one wheels without tubes. They will work fine. The only thing is they will weep air slowly, and that will mean you should check their pressure every couple days, and before all major excursions. If you do this anyway, you should not have much of a problem.

I never tried, but you may be able to seal the inside of the gen 2 tire to reduce air leakage, but I had always thought it leaked primarily from the rim, as we only use 15 or less pounds of air. That little air pressure makes it hard to get a good seal at the rim, especially after dropping off a curb or the like.

Good luck. Feel free to share with us.

Also, as a disclaimer, remember that these are just the ramblings of one guy. What I think is acceptable you may not like. I would not make any major changes or investments on the words of one respondent on the internet. Use your own good logic and common sense. Do what feels right. If it feels wrong, it may be.

Good luck. Have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Thanks for the comprehensive response Karl. Not sure when I'll attempt this, but the day will probably come!