SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
I believe the town where Segway Inc. is located is the town of Bedford, New Hampshire. Then nearest New Bedford I am familiar with is in Massachusetts, and is about 100 south of Bedford, New Hampshire.
Absolutely correct. I passed through New Bedford recently and got the two places confused.

With regards to making transmissions in-house at Segway, it seemingly appears on what one defines the term "making". INC has been an assembly-only operation ever since I got involved. They can specify and outsource components as easily as specifying an entire transmission, but if they're just assembling outsourced components, then assembly is the only part of the operation for which they have direct control.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Absolutely correct. I passed through New Bedford recently and got the two places confused.

With regards to making transmissions in-house at Segway, it seemingly appears on what one defines the term "making". INC has been an assembly-only operation ever since I got involved. They can specify and outsource components as easily as specifying an entire transmission, but if they're just assembling outsourced components, then assembly is the only part of the operation for which they have direct control.
I would agree and do for the most part, but assembling a component is different than assembling a finished product...

If they outsourced the transmissions, as they did in the beginning, their quality control would extend to the transmission itself, and they would have little direct involvement in the interior details, on a quality control basis. They have transmissions coming into the building assembled, and their quality control would consist of a pass or fail on the whole transmission. They surely can affect and instruct on how they want them built, but unless they want to dis-assemble and then re-assemble (and therefore waste a lot of money and time), they will be quality controlling the entire transmission.

If they outsourced the components of the transmission, each gear, each shaft, each bearing, all seals and all seats, and all housings get quality controlled individually. It is still assembly, but there is a great deal more control on the finished transmission, than the other way around. This control may be a good thing, if their processes are tighter than those of their vendor, but may also be a bad thing, if they cannot support as rigorous a standard as that vendor uses...

This is not at all uncommon. We all know that Segways use motors, and while we know that they assemble the segways in Bedford, and happy to continue that to the motors, I do not believe there are any motors being made in Bedford. There are no collections of wires to be wrapped, magnets to be bound, and the various other components that make up the motors...

I currently work for a company that manufactures Inverters for use in the Solar power industry.

I am a field service professional, and while I do clearly diagnose and repair these machine, I do not really make them.

But, my company does buy cart loads of assemblies, and then from those components, they assemble inverters.

Most of the circuit boards and other components are designed by our engineers in house (a separate department from mine) and even a few prototypes are made from time to time, but mostly they are made off premises. Still, we make inverters...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote