SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
DCTenor1
DCTenor1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question Can't Loosen Wheel Nuts

Good evening,

I purchased a new wheel for my Segway (damaged the last one on a pothole), and despite the fact that WWHopper assured me that "all you need is a wrench" and it's so simple to change "even a lawyer can do it"... I can't do it. I popped off the plastic "hub cap" and managed to get one nut off, but for the life of me, I can't budge the other two. They're completely jammed. I tried WD-40 but that didn't help.

Any suggestions? Gas prices are killing me! I gotta get back on my Seg!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DCTenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
mark1qhorsey
mark1qhorsey is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Pour very hot water over the wheel nuts slowly, then quickly try again, using the right tool.
mark1qhorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

There is a chance that someone used "red" loctite on the nuts, if that's the case you have to heat them to get them to come off. I use a propane torch when this happens.

Loctite Products

How long is the 13mm wrench you are trying? The wheel came with new nuts right? If you have new nuts, and you are worried about breaking the bolts off, go to Sears and buy a nut splitter. It breaks the nut in half.

Nut Splitter at Sears.com

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
DCTenor1

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1qhorsey View Post
Pour very hot water over the wheel nuts slowly, then quickly try again, using the right tool.
The "right" tool... the directions said use a socket wrench. Are you saying not all wrenches are socket wrenches? [Googles "socket wrench"] Yeah, that would probably make things a little easier. [Checks basement. Not there.] Where the heck do I get a socket wrench!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
There is a chance that someone used "red" loctite on the nuts, if that's the case you have to heat them to get them to come off. I use a propane torch when this happens. ... How long is the 13mm wrench you are trying? The wheel came with new nuts right? If you have new nuts, and you are worried about breaking the bolts off, go to Sears and buy a nut splitter. It breaks the nut in half.
For what it's worth, there seems to be a little bit of red color in between the nut and the bolt. Multiple applications of WD-40 aren't doing a thing. I'm using just a regular wrench with not a very long handle. Can't get a lot of torque with it, but I figured my muscles are big.

Yes, there are new nuts. Ooh, a shiny tool of destruction! That looks like fun! But "nut splitter" sounds more like it belongs in an S&M toolkit. Is it cheaper than a socket wrench? Is there a chance I can screw things up?

--

Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Let's back up one step. What are you using to remove these nuts?

I suggest a good 13 mm socket. Do not bother with a wrench if you are having some problems. I further suggest a short, 6 sided standard metric socket (Not a deep socket, nor a 12 point model).

This should give you a balanced grip with plenty of torque.

Often times a poor wrench, with a less than great grip on the nut, is the cause of your problems. A standard open end wrench uses two points of contact to turn the nut, a standard socket uses 6 points.

Good luck.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
DCTenor1

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Let's back up one step. What are you using to remove these nuts?
A wrench I found in the basement. It's not a socket. I'll head down to the hardware store tomorrow after work and pick up a short, 6-sided standard 13 mm socket. Do you mean a short handle? Or "short" as in "shallow"?

Thanks for your help.

--

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
william collins
william collins will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Red face Some of us can & some can't

DCTENOR you sound as if your not very mechanical inclinded..Whats a socket wrench had me ROTFLMAO.. I surgest you take the seg to a Auto shop and ask if they would help you and remove the nuts ..Leave a nice tip for the guy and job done.. Watch what he does so u can do it later if need be
Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTenor1 View Post
A wrench I found in the basement. It's not a socket. I'll head down to the hardware store tomorrow after work and pick up a short, 6-sided standard 13 mm socket. Do you mean a short handle? Or "short" as in "shallow"?

Thanks for your help.

Short as in shallow. I would use a standard handle. If you are still concerned about strength, you can get a tool that is called a breaker bar. Ask at the hardware store... It has a longer handle and will give you more than enough torque.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
DCTenor1

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by william collins View Post
DCTENOR you sound as if your not very mechanical inclinded..Whats a socket wrench had me ROTFLMAO..
As you can probably tell from my handle, I'm much better with notes and clefs than wrenches and nuts.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
CAseg
CAseg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You might consider buying a penetrating spray from the local auto parts store for getting jammed nuts loose. It should work better for that application than WD-40. It has saved me a couple of times.

I didn't read the instructions, and used a box end wrench (six points) instead of a socket.
CAseg is offline   Reply With Quote