SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default X2 JUmps whenfirstgetting on

hi my new x2 jumpssometimesusually forward an inch or so when i first get onthe center light is greenim sure usually when placing the first left foot on the platform
what should i be aware of?is that an indication that a mat is stuck down? i love this forum ive learned so much already. thank you all.

Last edited by rotorblades; 04-16-2014 at 10:59 PM..
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
hi my new x2 jumpssometimesusually forward an inch or so when i first get onthe center light is greenim sure usually when placing the first left foot on the platform
what should i be aware of?is that an indication that a mat is stuck down? i love this forum ive learned so much already. thank you all.
On older Segways you are supposed to tap the mat before getting onto the segway. This changes the "MODE" from standby into riderless balance mode. Try a foot tap first and see if the problem goes away.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Jeff is correct, as the Segway is quite finely tuned to the exact position the base is in, therefore, even if the platform is flat enough to be put into RBM, it will compensate for the tilt.

If it worries you, just step one foot on a mat to set it into RBM before mounting.

It still may have a small "jump" even when mounting in RBM, as it's more lenient to tilting than riding balance mode.
This way, it can be "walked" without reacting to minute tilt/surface changes.

Cheers!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Jeff is correct, as the Segway is quite finely tuned to the exact position the base is in, therefore, even if the platform is flat enough to be put into RBM, it will compensate for the tilt.

If it worries you, just step one foot on a mat to set it into RBM before mounting.

It still may have a small "jump" even when mounting in RBM, as it's more lenient to tilting than riding balance mode.
This way, it can be "walked" without reacting to minute tilt/surface changes.

Cheers!
thanks that is the trick= tap it with one foot first= you probably saved me from some falls
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
thanks that is the trick= tap it with one foot first= you probably saved me from some falls
This all goes back to the early days in segdom...

Many of us will recall a less than stellar photo of then President Bush almost falling from a new segway that belonged to his father. (or mother)

In those early days, you had a button on the handlebar that needed to be pushed to bring the machine from 'on' to balance mode. Those machines had the capacity to be on, but not in balance mode, and you could control forward and back with the steering grip...

Anyway, after the President tried to step onto a segway that was not yet in balance mode, and fell off, they changed the software... (I think it was around v10)

After that, all segways that are on, will automatically try to go into balance mode, if they detect the rider detects. Of course, there are other conditions that have to be met as well, but if the machine can go into balance mode, it will.

Back in 2003/2004, this was referred to as the "Presidential switch" or something of that sort...

This again, as most of my posts, is from memory. I may have some of the minor details wrong, or dates off by a small amount. Anyone with corrective details is invited to chime in...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Tap first

I have an '08 i2. You tap the mat (by placing your foot on) first for 'balance mode', then step for full mount.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
jimmiem
jimmiem is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have an X2 and just recently discovered the "tap the mat" trick. It's handy when the Seg is not properly oriented for mounting. That sounds kind of weird, what I mean is if the Seg is leaning and I approach it from any direction other than directly behind, sometimes it's easier to tap the mat and tip the leansteer to orient the Seg than it is for me to try to move it into place without being in balance mode.

I haven't experienced the jumping described in the OP. Sometimes I'll hop on with both feet at once when it's not in balance mode and it is ready to go instantly.
jimmiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I have been riding for 10+ years now. I cannot recall ever jumping on with both feet at the same time, while not in balance mode, and taking off.

I have never done a Bo Duke hood slide and then got in my car thru the window either, but I have to guess they are kind of in the same league.

I have run up the rear bumper, trunk lid, rear seat back, front seat back, then dropped into my convertible many times, but after I land, I start the car and drive away. This would be in the category if the car were running and in drive already when I jumped on the rear bumper and started my mount...

So... How many of us seggers turn the unit on, then jump onto it with both feet to engage the balance mode, and take off? I am curious now...

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
jimmiem
jimmiem is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I believe I may have been mis remembering that. Each of the times that I have jumped on with both feet, I think that the Segway was in fact in riderless balance mode.
jimmiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
I believe I may have been mis remembering that. Each of the times that I have jumped on with both feet, I think that the Segway was in fact in riderless balance mode.
I did not mean to intimate that it was not possible or do-able, just that it is cool beyond my means. I am just not able to do this without a probable you tube worthy face plant.

However, if I were to see this, I would surely congratulate the performer.

In my own defense, I have ridden two segways at the same time, including mismatched segways (different models) as well as had passengers, ridden backwards, sitting down on the platform, and an assortment of other foolish and inappropriate ways. I just have not done this particular trick...