SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
johnson.mke
johnson.mke is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i167 software udate

I have a i167 that has not had any software updates from new. What besides being able to use current batteries will a software update do to the unit? Will it change performance in any way?

Thanks,

Steve
johnson.mke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Amongst more minor fixes and tweaks, it will fix a known issue where "The personal transporter can unexpectedly apply reverse torque to the wheels, which can cause a rider to fall. This can occur when the device is tilted back by the Speed Limiter and the rider comes off and then back onto the device within a short period of time." These circumstances are pretty rare.

Here's the link to the Segway notification: http://www.segway.com/support/recall-information
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It depends when you bought it I guess. If it was an original release machine that came with v10(?) software, the updates will certainly change the handling characteristics - to a noticeable degree. I remember riding a v10 just before it was upgraded to a v14 and the difference was noticeable. Less peppy!

Most i167s came with v12 or above so the handling characteristics were not significantly changed after that as far as I can recall. v12 also affected battery life I think, meaning your Segway would shutdown earlier to ensure there was ample battery life left to enforce a proper safety shutdown. There was some cases of early riders not heeding the warnings from their machines (that it was out of juice) so the later release made sure the Segway would not take 'no' for an answer!

The later versions of software also allowed extra key functions to work. There was the quick auto-shutdown mode which meant the Segway would power off after just a few seconds if not in any balance mode (for the emergency services I think) and also the opposite where it would not timeout (or not for a very long time perhaps) which I think was aimed at golfers with the release of the early GT models. These modes were activated by having the ibutton keys programmed with appropriate bits set. These bits did not take effect in machines with earlier software.

As Civicsman says, the big recall was for the reverse torque bug.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Amongst more minor fixes and tweaks, it will fix a known issue where "The personal transporter can unexpectedly apply reverse torque to the wheels, which can cause a rider to fall. This can occur when the device is tilted back by the Speed Limiter and the rider comes off and then back onto the device within a short period of time." These circumstances are pretty rare.

Here's the link to the Segway notification: http://www.segway.com/support/recall-information
Here's a demonstration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I believe the 'Presidential' on switch was also one of the updates. Possibly 12.1 or 12.2

That is where the segway will turn itself onto balance mode, if it is in balance and on, but not in balance mode, and someone steps onto the platform.

Early 167s the handlebar button would turn on and off the balance mode, and a second tap was required to turn the unit off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am trying to recall, and cannot exactly remember, but the software level could be determined by the amount of hair that Blinky displayed on turn on...

At one point he looked like elvis, with hair on top and sideburns.

I cannot remember exactly when the battery segments (hair) was incorporated into the software level. It may have been with V14.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I cannot remember exactly when the battery segments (hair) was incorporated into the software level. It may have been with V14.
Karl is correct starting with V14 the GUI would show which update in version V14 you had.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/gallery....php?album=113

MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
Madsegs
Madsegs will become famous soon enoughMadsegs will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Last week turned away.....

I travelled 400miles with 7 segways to get some upgraded and buy some Li batteries and was told they could not.
It gets worse....after buying new batteries last year one was bad (only 4v) and placed them on a Segway to charge but it latched (blocked the Segway) one board, im informed that this too cannot be unlatched anymore but the battery was replaced! (Karl this was unfortunately your old E167) Pitty segways have to die forever when you buy new batteries...(use an offboard charger now)

Below is the text attached to there reply email.

Dear Distributors, Dealers and SECs,

Please be advised that effective December 31, 2015, all Segway® Gen 1, p, I, e and XT series models will be officially designated as End of Life (EOL) products. We've genuinely appreciated Gen 1 owners' enthusiasm for and loyalty to our product. Please encourage them to consider upgrading to our current generation of product, Segway i2 SE or X2 SE PTs. Thank you.

Regards,

The Segway Team

Don´t you just love segs, i´m always riding mine.

Madsegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi Antony!

It was your i167 I was referring to in my earlier post about riding a pre-update gen1 (before it was upgraded to v14) - when we met in Austria. Ha ha!

Seriously bad news about the EOL status of the Gen1 machines though

But - according to their email, you're still OK if you have a GT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsegs View Post

Dear Distributors, Dealers and SECs,

Please be advised that effective December 31, 2015, all Segway® Gen 1, p, I, e and XT series models will be officially designated as End of Life (EOL) products. We've genuinely appreciated Gen 1 owners' enthusiasm for and loyalty to our product. Please encourage them to consider upgrading to our current generation of product, Segway i2 SE or X2 SE PTs. Thank you.

Regards,

The Segway Team
Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #10
Madsegs
Madsegs will become famous soon enoughMadsegs will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

i gathered that

Don´t you just love segs, i´m always riding mine.

Madsegs is offline   Reply With Quote