SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #1
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Segway's new $999 transporter

I thought that the new Segway (Ninebot) Mini Pro was going to be in the $1300 range, but according to Segway's VP of Marketing in this video, they'll be debuting it on Amazon.com for $999 next month.

$999. Segway. Tempting

BTW, is it just me...or does the control shaft looks "backwards" on the machine? Maybe I'm just used to the I2? Even the height adjustment knob is facing forward...
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #2
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well... Hmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

This development reminds me an earlier post...

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showpos...6&postcount=74

I bet there is no redundancy as the i2 and x2. However, Ninebot has made the right move keeping their name under the umbrella of Segway brand name since is the most recognized brand out there.

I wonder how these new product line under the Segway brand will affect i2 and x2 sales eventually and if we are going to see no more production of those after couple of years.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wow. I would really love one if it were a mini Segway. I'm guessing it's a NineBot with the Segway label and borrowing a few Segway elements.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

To me, it is like Canon (cameras).

They sell the Rebel line ($500) to one market and the EOS 1D line ($5,000) to a different market.
It just depends on how robust of a product that you need.

As long as Ninebot doesn't tarnish the Segway name with poor quality/safety, I think it is great that they are expanding the "Segway" market.
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

Very cool and I'm glad to see Ninebot breathing some life and interest back into Segway. I hope people appreciate the additional value a Segway brings over those cheap (exploding) "hoverboards."

The fact they can now offer a product at a price point that many people would actually consider (on the consumer side) is awesome!

John
Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
Burke2
Burke2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Amazon?

To me the most interesting thing is that they will be making it available directly through AMAZON and not via the dealer network (at least the dealers haven't been told a thing about it yet).

Finally something less expensive, and it goes to Amazon first.

Janice
Peripherally related to Segway Orange County
Burke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke2 View Post
To me the most interesting thing is that they will be making it available directly through AMAZON and not via the dealer network (at least the dealers haven't been told a thing about it yet).

Finally something less expensive, and it goes to Amazon first.
I think I saw at least one or two Segway resellers who were carrying Ninebot gear--although they may have made separate arrangements for that.

Regarding Amazon... Only 17 and a half days until February 1st. Who is going to get a MiniPRO first?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #9
Burke2
Burke2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Oh, we have the Ninebot. Just not sure about the MiniPRO. Dealers have received no information, and Dick didn't know it was being launched and will be on Amazon until I saw it on here yesterday.

Janice
Burke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #10
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke2 View Post
Oh, we have the Ninebot. Just not sure about the MiniPRO. Dealers have received no information, and Dick didn't know it was being launched and will be on Amazon until I saw it on here yesterday.
For manufacturers who sell through Amazon, Amazon will take as little as 8%-15% margin as a "reseller". Amazon will even fulfill for a few bucks a unit and make sure the seller gets a near-perfect reseller rating (due to their excellent shipping and customer service).

At only $999-$1299 MSRP, I'm not sure if Segway has planned for the kinds of margins that resellers need (although, as I understand it, at least in the old days, Segway reseller margins were not really high either).