SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:52 AM   #1
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Arrow Design solution for storing two Segway units with less space

Hello guys and gals!

With the recent addition of a second Segway (i2 SE), the space which is required to store both units has increased. I am looking for a solution in order to minimize space, but I did not find anything available on the web.

Therefore, I have make a very rough design of a solution I have in mind that might work and will take advantage of the height available.

Please have a look of those photos below and if you have any suggestion or any other solution available out there, it would much appreciated before I start constructing this thing.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Cool idea. Any thoughts on how the second seg gets up there? Do you just lift it up or will there be a ramp. Ramps would need to extend a fair way to get a decent angle - plus, they'd take up more space themselves!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
energetic

5 yr Member

Thanks for your comment.

It would be with ramps. I also thought to integrate them but I'm not so sure if this will be so easy to implement.
and

Proud Member of
Old 12-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Was thinking about how the Segway box works (tip on side and then flip up when the seg is in the box). Could you come up with a strap to secure the tires and then simply tip up your stand?
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetic View Post
Thanks for your comment.

It would be with ramps. I also thought to integrate them but I'm not so sure if this will be so easy to implement.
How about the upper platform being on two pairs of counterbalanced parallel arms so you don't have to lift the weight of the seg? It would have to lock in the down position so you could roll the seg off without the platform springing up. You would need to think carefully about dampers and safety interlocks so there was no possibility of catapulting small children across the room if they accidentally released the catch while standing on the platform. The upper platform would not have a slot in it except for the fixed portion at the back where the lower seg's column would be. Thinking out loud, if the latch was designed so that the weight of a seg plus say your foot pressing down on the platform was needed before the latch could be released that should make it safe but given the litigious nature of product safety laws in the US, this would have to be very carefully designed if it was not just going to be a personal one off.....
Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Thanks for your comment.

Just another possiblity; I would suspect its overkill for your case, but I will just put it out there for other folks info. They make lifts or "cranes" to pick up handicap scooters; I have one in the back of my SUV to pick up my segway and load it into the back of the car. Works great, takes up very little space. Mine is made by a company called "Bruno."
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Nice idea! I would probably leave off the back piece of wood.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
energetic

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noalox View Post
Was thinking about how the Segway box works (tip on side and then flip up when the seg is in the box). Could you come up with a strap to secure the tires and then simply tip up your stand?
I am not sure how this construction will end up in its final form. If it won't be solid I will definitely have to secure it somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore View Post
How about the upper platform being on two pairs of counterbalanced parallel arms so you don't have to lift the weight of the seg? It would have to lock in the down position so you could roll the seg off without the platform springing up. You would need to think carefully about dampers and safety interlocks so there was no possibility of catapulting small children across the room if they accidentally released the catch while standing on the platform. The upper platform would not have a slot in it except for the fixed portion at the back where the lower seg's column would be. Thinking out loud, if the latch was designed so that the weight of a seg plus say your foot pressing down on the platform was needed before the latch could be released that should make it safe but given the litigious nature of product safety laws in the US, this would have to be very carefully designed if it was not just going to be a personal one off.....
This is going to be a personal one for a very small storage space. However, I may consider upgrading the design as it goes and see where will end up. I have no special interest whatsoever to produce this in mass production, but I will definitely share the design and all dimensions once is completed. The original point of this thread was to see if there was something ready available out there and if not your suggestions are a big positive help to build this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Just another possiblity; I would suspect its overkill for your case, but I will just put it out there for other folks info. They make lifts or "cranes" to pick up handicap scooters; I have one in the back of my SUV to pick up my segway and load it into the back of the car. Works great, takes up very little space. Mine is made by a company called "Bruno."
That is actually a great idea, but I think it would be much easier and simple to add some DIY ramps. By the way, how much this Bruno lift costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Nice idea! I would probably leave off the back piece of wood.
The reason for adding the back piece is to add a more rigid and stable construction. If it is made out of wood, it will be necessary. If it will be made out of metal material with nuts and bolts etc, then it won't be necessary. Of course I will have to see how it goes during the build process.

A big thank you to all for your comments so far. It really helps to make me think more about the design and the build up process once it starts. Feel free to hit me with more suggestions.
and

Proud Member of
Old 01-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #9
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
I am not sure how this construction will end up in its final form. If it won't be solid I will definitely have to secure it somehow.

This is going to be a personal one for a very small storage space. However, I may consider upgrading the design as it goes and see where will end up. I have no special interest whatsoever to produce this in mass production, but I will definitely share the design and all dimensions once is completed. The original point of this thread was to see if there was something ready available out there and if not your suggestions are a big positive help to build this thing.

That is actually a great idea, but I think it would be much easier and simple to add some DIY ramps. By the way, how much this Bruno lift costs?

The reason for adding the back piece is to add a more rigid and stable construction. If it is made out of wood, it will be necessary. If it will be made out of metal material with nuts and bolts etc, then it won't be necessary. Of course I will have to see how it goes during the build process.

A big thank you to all for your comments so far. It really helps to make me think more about the design and the build up process once it starts. Feel free to hit me with more suggestions.

There are several versions and depending on how fancy you go, they range from around 1100 $ to 3500$. I have the top-end one that has 3 different axes of power extension and its basically like somebody picking up the seg and loading it for you. I operate it sitting in a chair.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:18 AM   #10
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
There are several versions and depending on how fancy you go, they range from around 1100 $ to 3500$. I have the top-end one that has 3 different axes of power extension and its basically like somebody picking up the seg and loading it for you. I operate it sitting in a chair.
When I got into work today, it was 12 degrees out. I unloaded the seg with the lift and hopped on, I got into the building with no problems. That lift $ was so worth it. I would have had issues if it had to ride on the back outside.