SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Ninebot is now a "Segway" brand

Interesting, big news... According to CNN, BusinessWire and other sources, Segway has announced that NineBot will now be a brand under the Segway umbrella.

Segway even has Ninebot products on its main website now:
http://www.segway.com/products/consu...style/mini-pro

This week has to be the single-fastest "new product introduction" from Segway since day 1
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Burke2
Burke2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

But there's nothing on the Ninebot unit, charger or manual that says "Segway." Probably not the box, either, but I didn't look.

The Ninebot E+ is a sweet little machine, though, overall. It rides smoothly and looks sharp. It's so nice to have something lighter and more portable, and it only took 13 years and a takeover. However, having ridden one for four days and having read the manual, I have a LOT of questions about discrepancies among the unit, the manual, and Segway's new website touting the Ninebot E+. Maybe I'm just confused. We'll see if we get any answers.

Janice
Helper to Segway Orange County

Last edited by Burke2; 01-12-2016 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: To clarify which model I'm talking about.
Burke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke2 View Post
But there's nothing on the Ninebot unit, charger or manual that says "Segway." Probably not the box, either, but I didn't look.
Yeah. The new Segway Robot (which it appears is officially called the Segway APR...Advanced Personal Robot) is based on a Ninebot base but Segway branded. And the new "Ninebot By Segway miniPRO" looks like it may have "Ninebot by Segway" branding on it. But I can tell that either Ninebot/Segway is hesitant to replace their existing branding completely or Ninebot/Segway wants to preserve some market differentiation between brands. It reminds me of "Linksys by Cisco"...which allowed Cisco to sell sub-$100 consumer gear without diluting their enterprise brand too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke2 View Post
However, having ridden one for four days and having read the manual, I have a LOT of questions about discrepancies among the unit, the manual, and Segway's new website touting the Ninebot E+. Maybe I'm just confused. We'll see if we get any answers.
That reminds me of a lot of Chinese-engineered products that I have seen/bought. Discrepancies in manuals, confusing instructions, lots of icons and capacitive buttons plastered all over the unit...these are often tell-tell signs of the engineering culture.

For better or worse, it sounds like Segway is basically a Chinese company now. It sounds like Ninebot was already making some reasonably high-quality gear and I'm hoping that the Bedford secret sauce rubs off on the entire product line. At least our beloved Segway lives on. Woot
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Burke2
Burke2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The manual was translated from Chinese-speak to decent English, so it pretty much makes sense, but what I read didn't quite match what I rode.

Janice
Burke2 is offline   Reply With Quote